Bostonstrongboy1965

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many of you took driver's education at school and had a pickup with 3 on the tree? It was not a favorite. A few of us didn't mind it at all. Whoever purchased it from local dealer, should have demanded a new clutch.
We had a regular car in driver's ed, but my older brother had a Chevy p/u with the "3 on the tree". My dad would make me drive it to a part of town where there was about a 45 degree hill, stop it halfway up, and get it going from there. I think my mom had to bring baked goods to the folks who lived in front of that spot as an apology for the squealing tires, rubber marks on the pavement and my father cursing at me!

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We had a regular car in driver's ed, but my older brother had a Chevy p/u with the "3 on the tree". My dad would make me drive it to a part of town where there was about a 45 degree hill, stop it halfway up, and get it going from there. I think my mom had to bring baked goods to the folks who lived in front of that spot as an apology for the squealing tires, rubber marks on the pavement and my father cursing at me!
Good times.

ElevatorGuy

It’s up and down ;)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My daughter took her driver's exam in a Toyota with a 5 speed. I'm not sure my granddaughter can drive a straight drive, but my grandson can.
My daughter had never been in a stick until I bought my uncles ranger 2 years ago. She asked me after riding in it why I had to keep moving the stick!

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:)
I did......and drove plenty of three speeds on the column. I remember a few being easy to get locked up.....and having to get underneath and get em straightened out.
When I wuz a kid my dad had a 3 speed on the column Plymouth fury. It used to get stuck & to unstick it you head to go under the hood & monkey with the linkage. Well anywaze we went to the store & my dad mistakenly left the keys in the car & when we came out the car was gone so we walked to the police station in town & filed a report. The next day he got a call they had found the car 1/2 block a way pulled forward into a parking spot & evidently the crook couldn’t get it into reverse to back it out of the spot because the linkage jammed so he left it there with the key in it.:)

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
7:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I wuz a kid my dad had a 3 speed on the column Plymouth fury. It used to get stuck & to unstick it you head to go under the hood & monkey with the linkage. Well anywaze we went to the store & my dad mistakenly left the keys in the car & when we came out the car was gone so we walked to the police station in town & filed a report. The next day he got a call they had found the car 1/2 block a way pulled forward into a parking spot & evidently the crook couldn’t get it into reverse to back it out of the spot because the linkage jammed so he left it there with the key in it.:)

That's a great one Chuck !!!!

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I've fixed a few of those on D100s with the slant six, I think the bushing kit is still available?
Had to teach myself how to drive a stick , growing up. Got my first truck for some landscaping work I did , 1977 D100 club cab with the granny 4 speed. Probably one of the most forgiving 4 speeds to learn on.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
No I haven’t got it fixed.
At this point all I know to do is wait until dealer can plug it in.
Or sell it to someone who can fix it.

I know this probably isn’t what you want to hear, but I’m not sure you get what you need to out of this saw as it is. Does anyone know how much a coil is for one of these? @AlfA01

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
3:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know this probably isn’t what you want to hear, but I’m not sure you get what you need to out of this saw as it is. Does anyone know how much a coil is for one of these? @AlfA01
I’ve been pm’ing with Jordan. I can most likely get him one under warranty if I get the old coil back. Husqy wants the warranty parts turned in I guess.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I’ve been pm’ing with Jordan. I can most likely get him one under warranty if I get the old coil back. Husqy wants the warranty parts turned in I guess.
Sounds like a great plan! You’re solid Dan… I don’t care what David says about you;)

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep had a old C10 step side Chevy 3 on the tree linkage always get stuck if u tried to go from third to first lol

Lol. Yup. Thought it was just me. My first truck was a 78 Chevy custom deluxe step side, baby blue, straight 6, with 3 on the tree, with a wood bed that was like new because my grandfather had a cap on it. I remember going for an interview for a part time interview in high school and the linkage jamming up under the hood. Had a nice clean white shirt on of course lol. It was my grandfather’s truck that he handed down to me. My parents sold it on me when I went to college because mom found out it had a side gas tank and she drove it to the grocery store once and didn’t realize you had to pump the brakes sometimes. Lol. I miss that truck. I was so pissed when they sold it. But I couldn’t have a vehicle as a freshman. Bunch of chit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. Yup. Thought it was just me. My first truck was a 78 Chevy custom deluxe step side, baby blue, straight 6, with 3 on the tree, with a wood bed that was like new because my grandfather had a cap on it. I remember going for an interview for a part time interview in high school and the linkage jamming up under the hood. Had a nice clean white shirt on of course lol. It was my grandfather’s truck that he handed down to me. My parents sold it on me when I went to college because mom found out it had a side gas tank and she drove it to the grocery store once and didn’t realize you had to pump the brakes sometimes. Lol. I miss that truck. I was so pissed when they sold it. But I couldn’t have a vehicle as a freshman. Bunch of chit.

You just had a place to keep it off campus.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I learned on a three on a tree and owned 3 or 4 Chevy trucks with them. Could unlock one blindfolded I think. But, if you went from 1st to neutral, then let it drop ahead and then up to 2nd, they’d never jam.

Told a guy the other day that my Dad actually had to teach me how to drive an automatic instead of a stick. I couldn’t fathom stopping without a clutch to disengage things!

Yeah, I’m old!

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I learned on a three on a tree and owned 3 or 4 Chevy trucks with them. Could unlock one blindfolded I think. But, if you went from 1st to neutral, then let it drop ahead and then up to 2nd, they’d never jam.

Told a guy the other day that my Dad actually had to teach me how to drive an automatic instead of a stick. I couldn’t fathom stopping without a clutch to disengage things!

Yeah, I’m old!

Yeah the first fluild shift automatic trans arent as intuitive as the ones out there now, or even the same pattern. At least you could push start an automatic transmission back in the day.

M2theB

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried a new plug, no change.
Spark jumps 3/8+ Inch gap when hot.
Sprayed carb clean around the bearings, no change.
Pulled the muffler, piston and rings look excellent.

Thinking back on it, the 572 had identical running issues. Took it in and had some lean codes. Dealer put a carb kit in it and Reset it.
I also cleaned out the tank vent per Masterminds advice. 1 year later no issues.

I had issues similar with a 572.
Pressure test of the carb through the fuel line was a fail.

Metering valve filter was clogged.
Only a few tanks through it at that point too.
Odd
Cleaned it and that did the trick.
May not need a carb kit but a cleaning.

sorry to rerail.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Odd

sorry to rerail.

Sometimes a rerail is as needed as a derail.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Odd

sorry to rerail.

Question.....on topic. What was your method of testing, and cleaning?