572 updates

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Different reasons in what way Mike? Looks mostly the same to me. New saws from both brands for fans of each. In both cases, the two companies are perfecting second generation models on all of this new design architecture chassis that goes along with Auto-Tune and M-tronic. I don't think that most guys appreciate how big a leap all this stuff is for these companies. It's not like going from a 272 to a 372, or an 064 to a 066. These modern saws are really different animals. As they sort it all out, it results in better more reliable saws for everyone.

Agree with everything you say, Bob, but I was referring to the size/weight of the saws. As I have previously stated, I think it is more likely people will choose the 572 for the longer bars, and the 462 for the shorter ones. Your reference to preferring 60 cc saws comes to mind, the 462 is 60 cc weight with similar power, IMO, perfect for a 20" light bar. Conversely, the 572 may be the better choice for running a 28" bar.

I was not knocking either one, just pointing out that despite the similar cc size, they are different saws.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And for the record, I have always been satisfied with ZAMA carbs, my 044 has one, and I put several of the ZAMA manufactured Walbro styles on the Asian 440 BB/Hybrids W/O a single issue. I trust ZAMA just as much as Walbro.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And for the record, I have always been satisfied with ZAMA carbs, my 044 has one, and I put several of the ZAMA manufactured Walbro styles on the Asian 440 BB/Hybrids W/O a single issue. I trust ZAMA just as much as Walbro.
You haven't been around much have you[emoji6]

Seriously though Zama carbs have been more problematic in general, I believe most would agree.[emoji111]

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the different reasons is stihl wasnt known as a leading innovator for the last couple decades from a technology standpoint things like air filtration, av, weight reduction, engine design and engine management electronics husky was coming out with these features on there designs while stihl stuck to the kiss formula and focused on building very well built but more basic designs with a premium on durability. And now Stihl is the first with fuel injection and has the lightest weight models in a few of the classes while husqvarna seems to have refocused on the durability of there designs even if they needed to add weight to acheive it and i think those are good moves for both companies.

Bingo, Husqvarna was the "bleeding" edge of this stuff and worked through these designs and now with the time in the field has come up with these new updated offerings. To think the other brands won't have a similar learning curve is naive at best. But we keep focusing on the autotune or now FI as if they are the only things that are in the learning curve. Look at the saw's cylinder and design, these new "shapes" are just as innovative as the controls. And the tools to design and replicate those designs through manufacturing. And Husqvarna's lesson learned is after the novelty of the flashy tech wears off, the pro still has to get up at the crack of dawn ( If he's lucky?) and head out to make a living. Year three and four of life with a saw and he couldn't care less about the specs, labels, and hype. Just has to work..:) And then there is the design & manufacturing side....a whole different discussion! How to design, test, and get to market ....all this is playing out in front of us. Specs might win an argument and get a sale, but life with the saw including interaction with the company through dealer support earns the loyalty and subsequent sales. This new 572 launch will tell us all where Husqvarna has taken this....:)

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had a ZAMA carb on my 044 for over 25 years (one rebuild), and have used their knock offs of several Asian clones. They have been every bit as reliable as a Walbro for me, don't know what else to say. And, I will add, my 044 is a real good running 044! I think almost all the early ones that were known as good runners had ZAMA carbs (pre snorkel). I don't think too many folks have 25 years on the same carb.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting if Husqvarna takes Carburetor's in house, and who knows comes up with a next generation control concept? Guess they could, how much of the Zama / Stihl business model depends on Husqvarna selling their product for them? Probably not too much...:)

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had a ZAMA carb on my 044 for over 25 years (one rebuild), and have used their knock offs of several Asian clones. They have been every bit as reliable as a Walbro for me, don't know what else to say. And, I will add, my 044 is a real good running 044! I think almost all the early ones that were known as good runners had ZAMA carbs (pre snorkel). I don't think too many folks have 25 years on the same carb.
I have several saws with 30 year old carbs with the original internals that still work, a tillotson in a poulan to be exact. Don't get me wrong I've had good experiences with Zama too, just a lot less than other brands. Tillotson carbs are #1 in my book.

Last edited:

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey, I didn't get a hat!

And check out those goofy boxes! Looks like Husqvarna is on the "bleeding" edge of shipping efficiency as well...guess they plan to sell a lot of them. :)

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A saw that doesn't run right obviously needs to be addressed. And that's not a matter of opinion, it either running right or it's not. I've sold 30 some saws this week and none have come back for any reason.

But, some other comments you made about the saw being "cheap" and complaining about the hole for the primer not being large enough are strictly opinions and nit picky to the point of being silly. And then having the Stihl in your avatar legitimately or not tends to imply brand bias in those comments. So, kind of natural for Husky guys to get defensive on that. If you "stand firm" that Husky's QC is not up to your standards, then you should stick with Stihl. I've said for years that guys shouldn't switch brands cause they almost always gripe about something or another.

Kind of inevitable that some of this brand stuff would break out here. I don't know if Husky guys have gone to the 462 or 500 threads to make similar comments cause I don't even pay attention to the Stihl threads. But I imagine this sort of thing happens in both directions. But it ain't spoiling my fun. We're having a blast here with these saws. Customers are happy. Life is good. :)
Very well put Bob!

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A saw that doesn't run right obviously needs to be addressed. And that's not a matter of opinion, it either running right or it's not. I've sold 30 some saws this week and none have come back for any reason.

But, some other comments you made about the saw being "cheap" and complaining about the hole for the primer not being large enough are strictly opinions and nit picky to the point of being silly. And then having the Stihl in your avatar legitimately or not tends to imply brand bias in those comments. So, kind of natural for Husky guys to get defensive on that. If you "stand firm" that Husky's QC is not up to your standards, then you should stick with Stihl. I've said for years that guys shouldn't switch brands cause they almost always gripe about something or another.

Kind of inevitable that some of this brand stuff would break out here. I don't know if Husky guys have gone to the 462 or 500 threads to make similar comments cause I don't even pay attention to the Stihl threads. But I imagine this sort of thing happens in both directions. But it ain't spoiling my fun. We're having a blast here with these saws. Customers are happy. Life is good. :)

I'm not a brand loyalist, but I did grow up around Stihl. I just thought the 064 pic was cool so I tossed it up as my avatar. I seriously don't even know the actual number of saws I own anymore (35-40) but it's a pretty close split of husky and stihl with a few dolmars and some individual odd ball stuff for good measure. I love cutting wood, I like saws and appreciate quality, thoughtful design. That's why I didn't compare it to a 462 because I didn't want to start a pissing match.

I admitted in that post I was being very critical of the saw and jaded since I got a dud however, in MY opinion, it doesn't really have a "high end" or premium feel to it when examining it closely in person. My 562 has a better fit/finish/feel to it. It's a sharp looking saw and looks awesome in pictures but I honestly expected a little more considering the time it took to get it to market. My first comment to the dealer when I pulled it out of the box and rolled it around was jokingly, "I thought this was a husky, not a Poulan". As a tool, as it is intended, I'm sure it'll be just fine. If you're an OCD type person like myself, I doubt they'll be super impressed by the fit/finish.

With that said, I'm fully aware that cheap looking parts don't always mean they won't last. I'm a mechanic for a living and sometimes the best looking parts don't work and the questionable looking ones are fine.

And you're very right, life is good. (I'd put a smiley here but idk how )

Edited by Mastermind

I got you my friend.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)