462CM Clutch

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was cutting 30-35" pine stumps today with a grabby 36" full skip on a 572 with the large spikes. If I let the bottom spike touch the stump, I had to be ready to hold it back some or it would bog. Once the saw was on the top spike, I had to lever on the saw a lot to continue advancing the cut.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Change the dogs to smaller ones and put 3/8 on it

This

I'm not sure I know how to word this right..without telling you to just go try it and see what I'm sayin'...

The bottom spike on those dawgs grabs harder..early 462s don't mind a 28" bar on 3/8s at all..but they aren't exactly a saw known for torque..the newer ones are much better.

I think porkchop can esplain what I'm saying a little better.

Here's the dawgs he has vs the ones I use.

View attachment 358497

That bottom spike will pull the saw out of it's powerband easier when it bites.

Same deal on a 562 with W spikes. Gotta run it with a light touch (which I don't have)

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's not like the ms661 with lightweight clutch shoes and heavy gauge springs is it? The fix for the ms661 is putting the older heavier clutch shoes out of a 066 or earlier ms660 along with the lighter lower rpm engaging springs. This mod takes the instant chain stall clutch slip out of the ms661 only people who cut hardwoods running .404 will get this.
So yeah are the older 046 clutch shoes heavier? and do they fit 462?

As for dogs what a pita touchy feely dogs are in hardwoods running .404 only magnifies this 10 fold.
My fix is usually cut half an inch to an inch off the bottom dogs and reshape it's night and day the difference in hardwoods.
This mod can actually make a basically unusable (no matter how hard you try and baby the saw trying not to let the dogs bite in) instant bog chain stalling saw into a pleasure to use. Again only people that cut hardwoods will get this.

An example of horrendous lower instant stall dogs when they touch wood cutting hardwoods combined with. 404 can be found on 088/ms880 but is nothing 5min with an angle grinder and cutting disc can't rectify.

Guy's that have never cut hardwoods be all like that's impossible nothing could ever make my saw stall/bog must be user error! lol

I better add 7pin is the go with .404 high chain speed might be impressive in rolled up foam mattress but if ya actually want to be productive and have a well behaved smoother faster cutting less taxed saw in hardwoods stick with lower chain speeds.

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish 6 tooth was available for 3/8 & .404. They seem to really cut well in hardwood just a hair slower than the engine likes on a 7t.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
5:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Couple years ago I had a mini winter gtg. Took @nixon ’s new stock 462R out of the box and and mounted a 28” bar with a regular round ground chain off my grinder at 55/25/0 and gauges at .028”, my normal setup. No one here could get it to cut a 28” frozen beech log. Being sharp, the chain pulled the lightweight powerhead into the log and would bog as soon as the dogs hit. Normally you’d hold the saw back off the dogs until the bar is buried and then it’ll cut ok but the combination of frozen wood, sharp chain, and lightweight powerhead made it nearly impossible. A 500 with small dogs and 7900’s with the same bar and chain had no problem.

Makes Perfect sense- the clutch/ power head is at max around whatever load a 25” 3/8” makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makes Perfect sense- the clutch/ power head is at max around whatever load a 25” 3/8” makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Works fine with the factory dogs though. The added leverage from the bottom dog point hitting the wood is amplified with the smaller mass of the saw

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
2:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not a fan of any stock large 4 point dawgs. The 3 point felling dawgs are the ticket to prevent bogging the saw. Otherwise, the stock small half wrap dawgs work well too, especially when combined with a matching outer

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not a fan of any stock large 4 point dawgs. The 3 point felling dawgs are the ticket to prevent bogging the saw. Otherwise, the stock small half wrap dawgs work well too, especially when combined with a matching outer

I'd buy those 3 points from WCS if they weren't so big, they take up too much real estate on the bar for the trees I cut. I like the design though.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's not like the ms661 with lightweight clutch shoes and heavy gauge springs is it? The fix for the ms661 is putting the older heavier clutch shoes out of a 066 or earlier ms660 along with the lighter lower rpm engaging springs. This mod takes the instant chain stall clutch slip out of the ms661 only people who cut hardwoods running .404 will get this.
So yeah are the older 046 clutch shoes heavier? and do they fit 462?

As for dogs what a pita touchy feely dogs are in hardwoods running .404 only magnifies this 10 fold.
My fix is usually cut half an inch to an inch off the bottom dogs and reshape it's night and day the difference in hardwoods.
This mod can actually make a basically unusable (no matter how hard you try and baby the saw trying not to let the dogs bite in) instant bog chain stalling saw into a pleasure to use. Again only people that cut hardwoods will get this.

An example of horrendous lower instant stall dogs when they touch wood cutting hardwoods combined with. 404 can be found on 088/ms880 but is nothing 5min with an angle grinder and cutting disc can't rectify.

Guy's that have never cut hardwoods be all like that's impossible nothing could ever make my saw stall/bog must be user error! lol

I better add 7pin is the go with .404 high chain speed might be impressive in rolled up foam mattress but if ya actually want to be productive and have a well behaved smoother faster cutting less taxed saw in hardwoods stick with lower chain speeds.
Great post.

It’s an issue specific to the 462. That was the point of my inquiry. It’s different than other saws I’ve run in this respect. Whether or not the dogs are biting in or not, the clutch slippage is more than any other saw I’ve owned.

My bet is that weight savings is built into factory design more now than ever and the clutch is designed to take advantage of maximum factory power and not much more.

Moparmyway added lighter springs to his and got a good result. I will try that, as well as checking for fitment of other Stihl model clutch shoes after checking the weight.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 661 shoes have a couple holes at each end of each shoe, if I remember correctly. I wonder if it is the same with the 462, and if maybe the holes could be filled with something.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish 6 tooth was available for 3/8 & .404. They seem to really cut well in hardwood just a hair slower than the engine likes on a 7t.
I agree high chain speed isn't always the best in hardwoods it would be good if ya could get a 6 tooth in .404
A 6pin in .404 would be around the same size as 3/8 7pin

Sierra_rider

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd buy those 3 points from WCS if they weren't so big, they take up too much real estate on the bar for the trees I cut. I like the design though.

I've got a set on one of my saws...they work really well on large conifers with thick bark, but are way overkill everywhere else. Made for the PNW or Instagram fanbois.