drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
9:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone have a reliable clutch upgrade for the 462?

I am probably asking it to do more that it’s supposed to be doing, but it revs more than any other saw I own when the chain is stopped in wood. Clearly the clutch slippage is excessive.

I am running 28” of .404 Stihl RS freshly sharpened on a ported 462 Mtronic.
9ACB534A-B6F3-44EA-9F01-C1D88C9EDFEE.jpeg

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Change the dogs to smaller ones and put 3/8 on it

Ding Ding.

064 dawgs are where it's at for hardwoods, especially on the early 462s.

Those dawgs on there aren't any good on 462s in my experience, I don't care how sharp your chain is. But they look cute.

.404 on a 462..lol..no..maybe on a 20" bar...maybe.

Last edited:

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I get .404 holds an edge longer but prob a bit much for that saw at 28” with big spikes. Seems you’d have to be very light handed with it.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
why is it that some of you are saying to change the dawgs? if it is dawged with smaller spiked dawgs its still dawged in what difference would the size of spikes on the dawgs have to do with anything?

If the clutch is slipping seems to me that its faulty even if the saw is ported. if it has enough power to drive the 404 chain well enough to slip the clutch the chain or dawgs arent the problem the clutch is. Am I just missing something?

AlexStromberg

Epic gamer
Local time
3:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
why is it that some of you are saying to change the dawgs? if it is dawged with smaller spiked dawgs its still dawged in what difference would the size of spikes on the dawgs have to do with anything?

If the clutch is slipping seems to me that its faulty even if the saw is ported. if it has enough power to drive the 404 chain well enough to slip the clutch the chain or dawgs arent the problem the clutch is. Am I just missing something?
Clutch isnt made for a 24" .404 setup. Too much drag.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the replies.

My saw came with those dawgs, I didn’t put them on. It was a slightly used saw and I believe those are 661 dawgs.

I generally stick with the smaller dawgs. Get more bar that way, it’s like trimming the bushes around your tree.

.404 is being used to keep an edge longer, no other reason. Pulls it very well until it I dawg it in and lever on it. Other saws will lug down a lot more than this one. You can audibly hear the saw revving quite a bit. Would be nice to swap out the clutch for one with more surface area.

Maybe a stock dawg will help me be able to handle it more by not grabbing as much. The big ones grab, cut slows, you dawg I and then stall the chain. There’s something to the logic of it all.

My usual setup is a 25” lite bar in 3/8 for the saw. It’s this combo of 404 x 28 with the big dawgs that just made the prior issue worse. It slipped with the 3/8 as well.

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you cut at under 4k rpm?
Not that I know of, but spring pressure isn’t all or none. A tighter spring will allow more slippage at 8000 rpm than a looser one. It is exerting some extra negative pressure against centrifugal force than a looser spring would.