XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
2:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Guys,

Looking for an experienced opinion on my shaping job of the lower transfers on my 372 XT. The crank opening was massive compared to the cylinder side. I went at it with the goal to make the transfer opening act more like a funnel and eliminate turbulence as the charge transfered from the case to the cylinder. The saw runs good, I did this clean up simultaneously with deleting the base gasket so i can't speak to whether or not this shaping helped performance on its own. Thanks for your time. @Mastermind 20160101_142458.jpg 20160101_153215.jpg

Ironworker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You might wanna take the rest of the intake off and clean real good, you never know where them shavings end up. Did you do anything to your exhaust?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did this work a few weeks ago and it got a very thorough cleaning afterward. I didn't touch the exhaust because of my limited grinding attachments (dremel:().

Ironworker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You can do a lot with a Dremel, just gotta have the right bits and experience. Do a YouTube search on porting. A 372 is a little too fancy to be learning on, the first saw I ported was a homeowner husky 445, all I did was widen the intake and exhaust my next was a 353 with a 346 Hyway top end and moved up from there.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can do a lot with a Dremel, just gotta have the right bits and experience. Do a YouTube search on porting. A 372 is a little too fancy to be learning on, the first saw I ported was a homeowner husky 445, all I did was widen the intake and exhaust my next was a 353 with a 346 Hyway top end and moved up from there.

Good advice and I definitely won't be experimenting on my 72 when I start porting and actually changing port timing. I was just looking to increase flow efficiency from the case into the transfers in this instance. I think I accomplished that and the saw still runs great so no harm done.

Ironworker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good advice and I definitely won't be experimenting on my 72 when I start porting and actually changing port timing. I was just looking to increase flow efficiency from the case into the transfers in this instance. I think I accomplished that and the saw still runs great so no harm done.
You'd be surprised at how much of a gain you can get with just minimal work, did you do a muff mod.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You'd be surprised at how much of a gain you can get with just minimal work, did you do a muff mod.

Yes I gave it a muffler mod. I used a 288xp deflector and screen. I have been very happy with the results of these simple mods ( base gasket delete & MM). Once tuned up it came to life. Next I will be advancing the timing a bit as I have read that these saws really like a little advance.