372 with 385 top end

dieselfitter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not sure what's going on with Jim. He deleted a bunch of his posts, and changed his "User Title" to "Banned".

I changed it to "Not Banned"........because he is not banned in any way.
I hope things get worked out. He has contributed some cool content to this forum.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
10:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I apologize for leaving everyone hanging on this build. I'm looking to have the head blank milled in the next couple weeks so I can get it put together.

I've been trying to get control of this food triggered migraine thing that's been plaguing me. It has been putting me down all summer so far. There has been many items crossed off my menu lately and I get lucky to have a couple days a week to finish up saws. It's affecting my temper a little bit.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
1:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I apologize for leaving everyone hanging on this build. I'm looking to have the head blank milled in the next couple weeks so I can get it put together.

I've been trying to get control of this food triggered migraine thing that's been plaguing me. It has been putting me down all summer so far. There has been many items crossed off my menu lately and I get lucky to have a couple days a week to finish up saws. It's affecting my temper a little bit.
Welp Jim,
We're happy that you're still with us. We're looking forward to seeing how your stuff progresses as you get time and spunk for it.

Heal up first, the saws can wait, and so can we.

I'm just happy that you havent left us !!

I'd like your post, but them off the wall migranes suck, praying for a speedy resolution for you Sir !!

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

How much do you believe you gained porting that McCulloch 850?

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How much do you believe you gained porting that McCulloch 850?
The before video for that saw should never have been used because it came from from the factory with a problem that interfered with performance. Don has another stock 850 that is a good one. I thought I was going to get to run it for comparison but that isn't gong to happen now. I do believe the gains were good based on watching other videos and it feels as strong as a stock 660 to me. I ran quite a few big saws in that same log and the 850 felt as good as the stronger ones.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The before video for that saw should never have been used because it came from from the factory with a problem that interfered with performance. Don has another stock 850 that is a good one. I thought I was going to get to run it for comparison but that isn't gong to happen now. I do believe the gains were good based on watching other videos and it feels as strong as a stock 660 to me. I ran quite a few big saws in that same log and the 850 felt as good as the stronger ones.

Maybe it's the species of wood, but what I saw made me think they would be stronger than a 660.

I wasn't there, however.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thank you for giving us a update, and I'm glad the project isn't dead. I hope you feel better soon.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Get well soon brother that food migraine would drive me crazy too.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Glad to see you here Jim.

I missed you.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Maybe it's the species of wood, but what I saw made me think they would be stronger than a 660.

I wasn't there, however.
It felt stronger than the last 660 I ran. I didn't want to make that bold of a statement without more comparisons but at this point I think it would be a safe bet.

SHOVELHEAD

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I suppose it's possible.
In this case I went past the point of no return when I modded the brand new oem 660 piston to fit the 372 rod end before realizing it was too short for the job. The only way to make it work was to take some off the top of the cylinder. It was a rookie mistake which turned out to be a blessing in disguise...I hope. I say that because it put the numbers in a good range for a pipe saw.

Jim,
Have you made anymore progress on this build?

Looking back, before modding the new 660 piston.

Is there anything different that could have been done to avoid making a 2 piece head?

Thanks

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Jim,
Have you made anymore progress on this build?

Looking back, before modding the new 660 piston.

Is there anything different that could have been done to avoid making a 2 piece head?

Thanks

I'll be getting back to work on that thing in the next couple days.
It has a full 1/4 inch or more squish, so I don't think there's any other option but to cut the top down. I was holding off up to this point because I wasn't sure how I wanted to design the head. But I think I have it figured out now.

SHOVELHEAD

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The Echo CS-900 uses a taller 54mm piston with a 12mm wrist pin.

Is it quite possible that the Echo piston could have given you the proper squish that you needed?

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
With the head space you have in the photo assuming your @TDC
You could machine your head so that it steps down into your bore nicely and you could set the squish by how much it protrudes into the cylinder.

Just a thought
I was hung up on which method to choose for anchoring the head. I'm planning on going with a traditional bolt on head instead of lag bolts.