372 goes NLA

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which kits? P&c? Wrap handle and spikes?

The 51.4 mm cylinder kits are NLA. The wrap handle wil be around for a while, but as this is the older OE saw, there is no super $30 deal on a complete XPW kit.

Be careful if ordering those 51.4's from places that say they can still get them. The system is accepting orders and then superseding the part # to the single ring 371 top end. (There ya go Mason!). They really ought to just spit it back as NLA and avoid any confusion.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the value of my OE just went up right?[emoji6]

End of an era, beginning of a new!

Yeah, it sort of did. :) But even the XT's are now going to be sought after. Bear in mind that while we on this site know the difference between the OE and XT versions of the saw, 4 out of 5 guys just think a 372 is a 372. Some know "they made some kind of change" to it a few years ago, but they don't consider it at all significant.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
11:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I actually prefer the single ring 50mm piston over all the different sizes and types. With the single ring I usta get one year of commercial cutting per ring, then after 4 rings the P+C was changed. When they are broke in, throttle response is superior and the vibs are less than the xpw version

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I actually prefer the single ring 50mm piston over all the different sizes and types. With the single ring I usta get one year of commercial cutting per ring, then after 4 rings the P+C was changed. When they are broke in, throttle response is superior and the vibs are less than the xpw version

Yup, I agree. Acceleration is a little quicker with the single ring.

Did you hone the jug when changing the ring, and only the ring, never a new piston? That's a pretty impressive service life for the cylinder!

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 372 should have been discontinued many years ago IMO. Its glowing testimony the fact in 2020 they could be bought new off the shelf. It would be like Stihl still selling the MS440 or the 066! But times change & I think the new 572xp is a good replacement. I think Husky should offer the saw both in AT & standard carb to drag the Luddite loggers kicking & screaming to accept the modern saw. The 372 just shows how important it is to get a good well designed saw on the shelf. Get it right and the market will thank you for decades.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
11:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Did you hone the jug when changing the ring, and only the ring, never a new piston? That's a pretty impressive service life for the cylinder!
The first of my years sawing, I never heard about honing, just slap a new ring on the old piston. I learned later on in life about honing with ball hones, and this helped with ring break in time. I do admit that pistons by year 2 were worn shiny, no more machine marks. Knowing what I do now, I would replace piston at the 2 year mark. I do remember some skirt failures from them wearing thin.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
1:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 372 should have been discontinued many years ago IMO. Its glowing testimony the fact in 2020 they could be bought new off the shelf. It would be like Stihl still selling the MS440 or the 066! But times change & I think the new 572xp is a good replacement. I think Husky should offer the saw both in AT & standard carb to drag the Luddite loggers kicking & screaming to accept the modern saw. The 372 just shows how important it is to get a good well designed saw on the shelf. Get it right and the market will thank you for decades.
Stihl is still builting 440 and 660 for country that don't care about emissions.
There's even new 070 in the trading post.

As long as parts are still available, I don't really see problems. People like us don't really by brand new XT anyway lol.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl is still builting 440 and 660 for country that don't care about emissions.
There's even new 070 in the trading post.

As long as parts are still available, I don't really see problems. People like us don't really by brand new XT anyway lol.

That always strikes me as a little funny. In the US and EU both companies pat themselves on the back and try and sell the notion of how "green" and environmentally concerned thety are. But in markets where tje rules don't apply, they happily sell 272's, 044's, 288,s. and such. Of course we'd happily buy them if we could. :) But we aren't selling two different stories.

Last edited:

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i don't see the supply of 372s ever really being
exhausted.
they'll be around
not new nos but good serviceable saws
there is just so many out there.
I've found very low hour
nice condition 365/371/372s and even 266/268/272s.
but of course the psps would never accept a few scratches on a saw
those junk saws are beneath them to run
lol

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i don't see the supply of 372s ever really being
exhausted.
they'll be around
not new nos but good serviceable saws
there is just so many out there.
I've found very low hour
nice condition 365/371/372s and even 266/268/272s.
but of course the psps would never accept a few scratches on a saw
those junk saws are beneath them to run
lol

Not only that, but anyone here that's a "372 guy" already has more saws than he could possibly wear out in a lifetime. And parts, both OEM and AM will be around for 20+ years. And like you said, that mostly even applies to the previous 266/272 chassis that was discontinued over 20 years ago. We're all gonna be fine. LOL

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Bob can a guy buy just the single ring piston or only in a cylinder kit? If so what’s the part#

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bob can a guy buy just the single ring piston or only in a cylinder kit? If so what’s the part#

Yes Mike. Part number is 503 691 271.

Pricey though at $94 vs $169 for the complete top end, cause Husky never lowered their piston prices along with the cylinder kits a couple years ago. Don't know of any aftermarket pistons that are single ring.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just figured that out this week. Wish I had bought several more last time I ordered one

I know I mentioned this, but ya gotta be careful ordering the 51.4 mm XPW kits from parts houses that say they have them but don't really know what's going on. By Husky superseding the part number up to the 371 single ring kit, many places will simply sell you the new part number and not think twice about it. Not all their fault as it's common practice to sell superseded part numbers. Would have been better in some respects to just show the part as NLA.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes Mike. Part number is 503 691 271.

Pricey though at $94 vs $169 for the complete top end, cause Husky never lowered their piston prices along with the cylinder kits a couple years ago. Don't know of any aftermarket pistons that are single ring.

Same piston used in my poulans if your asking about 71cc piston?

Meteor has them too

p445h372piston.jpg p445piston.jpg

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I take it Bob, this is good news for the new 572xp, that the folks at Husqvarna have faith in their new product. I'd also like to say thanks for the hypocrisy of the "green" marketing here and in the EU, thus, at least in the sense that we are still able to get parts for these for the foreseeable future.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As a commercial use saw I would think one would choose the 50mm over the heavier 51.4....idk. Seems logical with a 24" bar. Almost all of those serious users modified the saw anyway for more power with a 28" or 32"

What else shares the 372 crank and bottom parts?