Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
12:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t see how the worm can possibly be different. The female side engages the male spline of the drum, which is the same either way. As I type this, you said you ran .325 x 9. I have only seen that available in large spline, so maybe that’s part of it? Bottom line is the worm has to fit the spline of the drum like a socket fits a bolt...
If we were talking about spurs, they would be specific to pitch like a Stihl MS-200
Edit to add: aftermarket worms are total sh1t. OEM all the way here.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi David. Not sure what to add here. The .325 set up uses a small spline drum to accept the typical 7 or 8 pin rims. And of course, you can still run 3/8 by using a small spline 3/8 x7. The small spline drum requires the different oil gear mentioned above. Can't mix and match them, so just guessing that might be the oil gear issue?

This stuff is only listed on the early IPL's for these saws; maybe only up to 2003-2004? (just guessing). Gotta know what you're looking for and not rely on Joe Counterperson to find the right stuff. Funny but this whole thing played out the same way with the prior 254/257/262 chassis. Offered both options in the beginning then the .325 options go away. Small spline deal for those is NLA, and 254's were split almost 50/50 between .325 and 3/8.

Tinging is usually weak springs, or too high idle, which I figure you'd spot right away :) . Drag on a new clutch? AM or OEM?

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
9:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Duh I see why the different parts now. Friday late n tired…

I’ve been running only the large spline drum and rims.

First worm from years ago got kinda melted up against the crank/seal area and the threads that turn the pump messed up. That may have been from the saw being blown up and the PO didn’t replace the worm.

The worm that just failed was melted against the sheetmetal plate and the threads also kinda stripped. New worm turned by hand pumps oil. Haven’t run it yet…seems Ok, but wonder if that sheetmetal plate is tweaked and making too much friction or something. Maybe something wrong in the pump, too much resistance?
Thanks all. Good to hear from you Bob.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Duh I see why the different parts now. Friday late n tired…

I’ve been running only the large spline drum and rims.

First worm from years ago got kinda melted up against the crank/seal area and the threads that turn the pump messed up. That may have been from the saw being blown up and the PO didn’t replace the worm.

The worm that just failed was melted against the sheetmetal plate and the threads also kinda stripped. New worm turned by hand pumps oil. Haven’t run it yet…seems Ok, but wonder if that sheetmetal plate is tweaked and making too much friction or something. Maybe something wrong in the pump, too much resistance?
Thanks all. Good to hear from you Bob.
Pump is a real simple piece running in an oil bath, so I would say unlikely. Who knows though...