High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

272xp Rebuild and Port

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
3:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Well fellas, since the Rookie 181/288 ugly duckling rebuild went so well my old man wants me to refresh his beloved 272xp before we start cutting this spring. He said it doesn't pull like it used to and thinks it needs a new ring. Also said the last few times he ran the saw it was turning crazy high rpm's but lacked torque. With the knowledge I have gained from here it sounds like an air leak to me. So I'm gonna completely inspect and pressure/vacuum test before going any further.

My intentions with this saw are to obviously make needed repairs but also to dig in and do some power mods. He ran the Masterminded Ugly Duckling and now has the bug for more power. Now, I know that I am not going to be able to mod a saw to be anything close to what Randy can do, he's a professional and I'm just a hobbiest hack. If it was mine I would send it to Randy, but my old mans tight, and I like to tinker, so I guess this jobs mine. Lol I wanna do the basics like a muffler mod, gasket delete, and some mild port work, venture into port timing changes. From what I hear, a little bit goes a long way in the 272xp.

There was another thread I had started about a recipie or suggestions on building this saw, I would be greatful if the guys that contributed to that thread would join in on this thread as well.

Thanks Again to Everyone for such a great site with a wealth of knowledge and a friendly environment . It has made this hobby more addictive than it already is.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Alright, so we are gonna skip the basics here. I did a pressure/vac test and it failed miserably. Both crank seals leaking, oil pump o-ring leaking, and decomp leaking. With a plug in the decomp was only able to get 120psi on a compression test.

Tore everything down and found a bone dry bottom end with a lightly scored piston.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My next issue lies in the bottom end. These bearings are shot ! Chunky is the word that comes to mind, they haven't come apart yet but are in bad shape.

What is everybody's recommendation on splitting cases ? I have seen some homemade splitters that mount to the bar studs. I've seen a couple C clamps zip tied together. Then there is the tool made for the job that costs about $80.

Is the $80 tool really worth it for a hobby guy like myself ?

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

To each his own. Mine laid around for a year(I bought it on sale) before I used it. Sure worked slick. If there's a pattern cutter handy they're pretty easy to build.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I could build the bar mount style pretty easy. It's seems that style is putting a lot of stress on the studs in a direction they weren't designed to.

calebng15

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Subscribed! Have a 272 just like this one. Needs bearing and some cylinder cleaning up. Looking forward to watching this!

calebng15

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made one. I'll have to take pics of it later today. Used it on the bar studs.

Danders

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'm in the same boat on this, although I have been more willing of late to buy specialty tools when needed. I'll probably end up buying a case splitter.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
46 min mark is how I split the case on the 262xp... I imagine the 272xp is similar.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used the orange one on my 272. Many ways to get the case apart though. Heat does wonders!
6bfb0c466ad6a271b6150ca245ebcc00.jpg
7ebf1f33cd47baf9ed994561d4925c9e.jpg