Arcticmiller

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey folks,

Financially this probably doesn’t make sense- I get that.

My dad gave me his old logging saw a decade ago, an old stihl 064 full wrap. It kept food on the table when I was a kid while he was a logger, and after that served firewood duty for nearly 20 years until ethanol did its dastardly work. Rotted out the carb, and the tank drained into the bottom end somehow and with its special moisture gathering properties. It took out the bottom end bearings, froze the ring on the piston, and spread varnish everywhere-nasty cleanup.

Anyway the jug and piston were in ok shape, but if I’m going to do a total rebuild how are the aftermarket top ends for the 064’s? I know some of them aren’t good performing. I may just find a new old stock top end.

The crank was actually in solid shape last I checked-it seems like the nasty stuff pooled up like it was stored on its side or something.

Anyway it’ll be a sentimental build that I can pull out and make a few cuts with from time to time.

Finally getting to it!

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
4:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey folks,

Financially this probably doesn’t make sense- I get that.

My dad gave me his old logging saw a decade ago, an old stihl 064 full wrap. It kept food on the table when I was a kid while he was a logger, and after that served firewood duty for nearly 20 years until ethanol did its dastardly work. Rotted out the carb, and the tank drained into the bottom end somehow and with its special moisture gathering properties. It took out the bottom end bearings, froze the ring on the piston, and spread varnish everywhere-nasty cleanup.

Anyway the jug and piston were in ok shape, but if I’m going to do a total rebuild how are the aftermarket top ends for the 064’s? I know some of them aren’t good performing. I may just find a new old stock top end.

The crank was actually in solid shape last I checked-it seems like the nasty stuff pooled up like it was stored on its side or something.

Anyway it’ll be a sentimental build that I can pull out and make a few cuts with from time to time.

Finally getting to it!
Stick with OEM for your top end.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
10:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you want info about AM top ends, it probably will be mostly all negative.

If you want help rebuilding your 064 , then ask as many questions as you like. @redline4 did a lovely 064 rebuild thread recently. I think it was called ugly 064 or something 😉

Edit: this thread.

Arcticmiller

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome, I will be looking that over closely. Thanks! I wasn’t set on an aftermarket top end, but I had heard they were alright on the smaller saws, but lacking on the 064-066 sized saws.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
4:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless the plating is worn through, I'd be willing to bet the original jug can be used. And you'll be way ahead using that vs any of the aftermarket offerings.
Post pics along the way. Us dummies like to read the pictures..

Arcticmiller

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will try and keep up on the photos. Dad gave the saw to me a decade ago, when I first got married and I tore into it thinking it’d be a quick fix. I found what I detailed above and boxed it up carefully for storage, not knowing when time/funds would allow for its resurrection, young and newly married-read as broke lol! As time and career progressed I’ve got less time, but more money, so projects like this can finally start.

Honestly, I have a vision to one day build a house, and in the man cave/den have a large vertical peeled timber with a lot of character with this saw plunge cut into/through it. Probably after I get a bunch of use out of it. Heirloom style.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyway the jug and piston were in ok shape,
I have a 046 that I found at the dump, no compression due to stuck rings and some scoring. Took my time using fine grit sand paper and scotchbrite pads to smooth down the score marks on both piston and cylinder and replaced the rings with new Caber rings and the saw fired right up and has been working great.