Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
5:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update on the saw.

Saw wouldn’t stay idling after running. Richening up the L screw helped, only to have flooded condition without ability to restart later.

In the end, it was the 199 carb. After ripping through entire saw, inc vac test and jug removal, I spoke to @Onan18. He reminded me that the OEM 199 carbs had a particular issue that @tree monkey had figured out and figured out a repair for.

I drilled the metering cover plate and swapped out the blue plastic pump membrane for the yellow knit Teflon one and the saw ran perfectly. Hard to believe that a new oem carb wouldnt run right, so I figured it was my conversion. In the end, it was a factory carb issue.

Ran saw in my wood pile. Fat at first. Have it at 14000 WFO and held 10500-11k in the cut. I forgot it had an 8pin on it. I had a 20” bar here and a low raker chain. It did better than I did in the wood pile. LOL.

Added an elastostart for 1122 Stihl to ease some of the ND jug and TA pain on the forearm.

IMG_6440.jpegIMG_6441.jpegIMG_6442.jpegIMG_6443.jpeg

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
5:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If so inclined, here is a long and boring video. If you watch till 1:40, you’ll see the stall after the cuts. I richened the L and got the saw to run. After the end of this video, I couldn’t restart because it flooded itself. Maybe needle stayed open because metering side wasn’t vented correctly?

Very odd carb issue for sure.