High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

242xp resurrection. (My first 2xx series) Build Complete! Vid added!

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So here area a few more pics. One showing the pto bearing after cleaning and a little lube, one if the flywheel bearing showing the carbon buildup, one of the piston, (pic makes it look worse than it is) and one of the cylinder, again the pic makes the cylinder look worse than it really is.

Tor, how much is the OEM piston kit? IMG_20170506_131840241.jpg IMG_20170506_131900386.jpg IMG_20170506_131932282.jpg IMG_20170506_132045342.jpg

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
7:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So here area a few more pics. One showing the pto bearing after cleaning and a little lube, one if the flywheel bearing showing the carbon buildup, one of the piston, (pic makes it look worse than it is) and one of the cylinder, again the pic makes the cylinder look worse than it really is.

Tor, how much is the OEM piston kit? View attachment 68898 View attachment 68899 View attachment 68900 View attachment 68901
I'll check up OEM piston price for you on Monday when my dealer open, my guess is dealer price 80-100$, will be able to fix a 25% of the dealer price for you and Joe since I can withdraw equipment costs on my little hobby farm.

Will give Husky a call also, currious to know how many pistons they got in stock, last time I asled them they had ruffly 70+ pistons.

Swap out your flywheel bearing while you are there, most of mine also build most of the carbon on that side :)
Its good news that your PTO bearing is in decent condition, that said, I only seen one blasted PTO bearing on them :)

Last edited:

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Tor, I do plan to swap out the flywheel side bearing and seal. The PTO bearing seal appears to be in good shape with no visible damage or issues, so I'm crossing my fingers on that.

As to the piston kit, don't be in a rush as my allowance for saw builds is suspended for a little while. LOL! I'm just curious as to what it is going to cost me when I am ready to pull the trigger and get one coming.

Now I have another question regarding the cylinder. I'm fairly confident that I can restore my OEM Mahle cylinder. But if that proves to be wrong, is there an AM cylinder kit that you would recommend as an alternative? Checking quick as I type this, I haven't come across a Meteor cylinder.

Also, if the OEM piston is cost prohibitive to me to get one through you due to shipping and whatnot, could I have the base cut on my cylinder to compensate for the shorter Meteor piston???

One thing I am happy about, my clutch/oil pump combo is not the type that has the worm gear pressed onto the crank. Outer clutch drum drives the oil pump drive gear. :)

Couple pics of everything all cleaned up and ready to reassemble. :)

IMG_20170506_151848203.jpg IMG_20170506_151841392.jpg

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Tor, I do plan to swap out the flywheel side bearing and seal. The PTO bearing seal appears to be in good shape with no visible damage or issues, so I'm crossing my fingers on that.

As to the piston kit, don't be in a rush as my allowance for saw builds is suspended for a little while. LOL! I'm just curious as to what it is going to cost me when I am ready to pull the trigger and get one coming.

Now I have another question regarding the cylinder. I'm fairly confident that I can restore my OEM Mahle cylinder. But if that proves to be wrong, is there an AM cylinder kit that you would recommend as an alternative? Checking quick as I type this, I haven't come across a Meteor cylinder.

Also, if the OEM piston is cost prohibitive to me to get one through you due to shipping and whatnot, could I have the base cut on my cylinder to compensate for the shorter Meteor piston???

One thing I am happy about, my clutch/oil pump combo is not the type that has the worm gear pressed onto the crank. Outer clutch drum drives the oil pump drive gear. :)

View attachment 68920 View attachment 68921
My opinion ....Try as "hard" as you can to save that OEM cylinder Joe ...Non OEM piston....I have used a windowed Golf piston(caber ring) in a OEM cylinder and it was fine. Oil pump drive you have is fine as its not constant pumping but the drums are not easy to get ...the other sort iv found on UK ebay.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
7:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 68920 View attachment 68921
I've bought Tecomec top end kit once, great quality, the only thing I wasnt impressed with was the tickness of those cooling fins. If I had bought a kit for myself I would placed the jug in a lathe and trimmed those cooling fins tickness.
There was a guy who sold those kits for 50$, later 60$, but he is empty of them, and sadly, Tecomec has quit making AM parts.

I wouldnt spend my coins on Meteor piston, it isnt piston ported and you have to drop the jug alot, I thought to give a Golf piston a chance before or later with caber and oem clips.

The clutch drum you have, if my memory is correct your bearing is the type who is pressed into the drum, it is a bearing who is pricey and soon NLA.
For me it has been cheaper to purchase Oregon 40068

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My opinion ....Try as "hard" as you can to save that OEM cylinder Joe ...Non OEM piston....I have used a windowed Golf piston(caber ring) in a OEM cylinder and it was fine. Oil pump drive you have is fine as its not constant pumping but the drums are not easy to get ...the other sort iv found on UK ebay.
Yes Sir, I plan to try and save that cylinder by all means I have at my disposal.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Simondo @Tor R I was over on AS looking up 242xp info as Rattler here PMed me stating that a member over there might have a top end he is looking to sell. In the process of looking following that lead I stumbled into some interesting stuff. Check this thread out http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/42-242xp-cylinder-options.308856/#post-6223734

I think I might try a Tecomec full P@C kit if things don't fall into place trying to source an OEM piston or if I am unable to salvage my cylinder. They do have a windowed piston (which the Metoer does not) and I see it stated they are Italian made if that means anything good.

What do you guys think?

Another topic that I came across is the non-windowed Meteor piston. Seems people have run them in 242 cylinders. They don't have the windows but they don't have a full skirt either. But it does seem like the lower transfers would suffer a loss with that type of piston.

I am not just going to abandon the OEM route. Just looking to see if there are other descent options should things not work out. By the looks of it, my next best option to the OEM piston in my salvaged OEM cylinder might just be the Tecomec full kit. I can always have the base and squish cut if needed to obtain the desired amount of squish if there is variance in that area. I really wish there were clearcut and quality AM options for this little hotrod. Frankly I am as surprised as I am disappointed that Meteor does not offer the correct type of piston for us. As I said previously, I have used their piston in three 394 builds and on 359 build and they have been great. Very disappointing they don't seem to care about the smallest non-top handle XP :(

Last edited:

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Get the Dolmar 421 instead...you can always swap about :D
Awesome idea Simon!! I'll do the 242xp and Josh can get the 421! Anyone ever do a side x side comparison??? The small little hole-in-the-wall shop my father in law bought his 6400 from a few years back quoted him $275 for a new 421 including all taxes, out the door!

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Been doing a little Googling on these Tecomec P&C kits. I think I might just grab one of these kits and give it an honest try. I will still see if I can salvage my OEM cylinder though and keep that on the shelf for a rainy day. For roughly the same cost as tracking down a stand-alone OEM piston, it's hard for me to resist the temptation to try this Tecomec kit based on the many good things I see people saying about them.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Simondo @Tor R I was over on AS looking up 242xp info as Rattler here PMed me stating that a member over there might have a top end he is looking to sell. In the process of looking following that lead I stumbled into some interesting stuff. Check this thread out http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/42-242xp-cylinder-options.308856/#post-6223734

I think I might try a Tecomec full P@C kit if things don't fall into place trying to source an OEM piston or if I am unable to salvage my cylinder. They do have a windowed piston (which the Metoer does not) and I see it stated they are Italian made if that means anything good.

What do you guys think?

Another topic that I came across is the non-windowed Meteor piston. Seems people have run them in 242 cylinders. They don't have the windows but they don't have a full skirt either. But it does seem like the lower transfers would suffer a loss with that type of piston.

I am not just going to abandon the OEM route. Just looking to see if there are other descent options should things not work out. By the looks of it, my next best option to the OEM piston in my salvaged OEM cylinder might just be the Tecomec full kit. I can always have the base and squish cut if needed to obtain the desired amount of squish if there is variance in that area. I really wish there were clearcut and quality AM options for this little hotrod. Frankly I am as surprised as I am disappointed that Meteor does not offer the correct type of piston for us. As I said previously, I have used their piston in three 394 builds and on 359 build and they have been great. Very disappointing they don't seem to care about the smallest non-top handle XP :(
Such a lot of stuff on the 42..242 ...let alone the 246 is NA now so i can only assume there is a real small demand for pistons with the OEM cylinder being NA now. I have had the Meteor piston in a 242 and i struggled to say what the dif was between the windowed sort and the Meteor one.
It is the shape in the 42 special so i guess they figure (as you have found mentioned ,due to it not being a full circle ) it will work in both and keep making costs down .This is "MY" theory ..not fact!

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Awesome idea Simon!! I'll do the 242xp and Josh can get the 421! Anyone ever do a side x side comparison??? The small little hole-in-the-wall shop my father in law bought his 6400 from a few years back quoted him $275 for a new 421 including all taxes, out the door!
Forget the quoted free rpm on the 242 xp and take the two saws rpm in the cut......I wouldn't like to call it on the standard 242xp(just a little bigger hole on muffler ,nothing silly) and cat del mod on the ps 420 sc .Iv had and run both....i like them both ....but would i chose ......Nope !:D

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hmm. I can see why the Meteor would work but can also see why it might not be the best. And you say you've run the Meteor on a 242xp and was hard pressed to feel a difference in performance?? Something to ponder

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Been doing a little Googling on these Tecomec P&C kits. I think I might just grab one of these kits and give it an honest try. I will still see if I can salvage my OEM cylinder though and keep that on the shelf for a rainy day. For roughly the same cost as tracking down a stand-alone OEM piston, it's hard for me to resist the temptation to try this Tecomec kit based on the many good things I see people saying about them.
If you have the OEM cylinder on your saw it at least has enough of the original to make it feel like a "real" one and you can judge how it runs....Im a bit funny that way with OEM cylinders on saws you buy because of there reputation. Just me ..but i couldnt keep a 357 because the option was a Meteor kit as it came with a "Pants" big bore ! on it . Bought as a genuine saw :(.