Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

twinstaged

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
@Mastermind

Hey Randy, what do you use to center up the top part of the cylinder next to the facing plate? I can see where you would use a dial indicator on the bottom part of the cylinder, but can't imagine what could be used to do the top.

if the jug base is perpindicular to the bore then it all works itself out. Make the base of the jug run without any face runout and make the cylinder bore run without any runout and it's all good throughout. I will usually put a jug on a mandrel and double check the base is perpendicular first if I haven't touched it before.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
8:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if the jug base is perpindicular to the bore then it all works itself out. Make the base of the jug run without any face runout and make the cylinder bore run without any runout and it's all good throughout. I will usually put a jug on a mandrel and double check the base is perpendicular first if I haven't touched it before.

I dig what your laying down...thanks for the reply.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Mastermind

Hey Randy, what do you use to center up the top part of the cylinder next to the facing plate? I can see where you would use a dial indicator on the bottom part of the cylinder, but can't imagine what could be used to do the top.

1498161086186-1761956191.jpg

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya see that @Stump Shot ?

Long reach indicator to get right up by the squishy band. Then back and forth till there is no run out at the top, or the bottom.

Move the 4 jaw to get the top end right, then tweak the bolts to move the bottom. Then back to the top.....etc....etc....etc....

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya see that @Stump Shot ?

Long reach indicator to get right up by the squishy band. Then back and forth till there is no run out at the top, or the bottom.

Move the 4 jaw to get the top end right, then tweak the bolts to move the bottom. Then back to the top.....etc....etc....etc....

I can see it!

Sorry about the crappy pics. I've misplaced my good camera. I put it somewhere........then forgot where. lol

Good enough to get the point across, thanks Randy.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can see it!

Good enough to get the point across, thanks Randy.
That Mitutoyo indicator had a 1.65" stylus on it to begin with, and so a .0001" graduate unit. Changing the lever to a long reach changes it to a .001" unit. Plenty good enough for checking run out on a garden tool. lol