090 based case reed motor.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I learned how to cook at a very young age ,can't bake though .In my tour of uncle Sams pirates of the deep oceans,submarine service I used to help the cooks in my off time .Fact of the matter is with my young lovely ,who BTW is the same age as me I do a majority of it .She is surprised I don't leave a mess when I'm done .Unfortunately my tidiness does not extent much outside the house because I'm a slob .

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just to add something .A rotary table ,plate indexer or dividing head are not something the average home machinist type would own .I have all of them for the simple fact this area became known as the "rust belt " in the 1980's and it sold dirt cheap at auction .Little job shops and some major industry just became a part of history .Often times some of the larger machinery sold for less than scrap prices .Like big old Niles 72" boring mills for 100 bucks .Those things were built to last forever and they nearly did .
If you own a mill, a rotary table should be high on the list of goodies to buy. I’d be lost without mine.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On that I would too .In a way with a Bridgeport model M which will nod and with a table I Can cover about 6 axises .With a right angle angle adapter 7 .Keeping in mind it might take me 2 hours with a pocket calculator to tram it in. BTW I do miss sometimes .Practice so to speak .CNC would be nice except I can't afford one .The theory behind CNC was a brainstorm of some French man who spent a lot of time locked up in the cross bones hotel .I think it 's called the Carpathion plain theory .Confuses the dickens out of me .Trying to think in CNC logic transposed to actual angles is not very easy for me .Makes my head hurt

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On that I would too .In a way with a Bridgeport model M which will nod and with a table I Can cover about 6 axises .With a right angle angle adapter 7 .Keeping in mind it might take me 2 hours with a pocket calculator to tram it in. BTW I do miss sometimes .Practice so to speak .CNC would be nice except I can't afford one .The theory behind CNC was a brainstorm of some French man who spent a lot of time locked up in the cross bones hotel .I think it 's called the Carpathion plain theory .Confuses the dickens out of me .Trying to think in CNC logic transposed to actual angles is not very easy for me .Makes my head hurt
I have a Lagun, fuzz bigger than the Bridgeport. Definitely a nice machine after we got the table ground

Charlee cee

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Any chance you've weighed it? Is there any intent in the spiraling cut outs in the fins on the head beyond looking completely awesome and saving a few ounces?
Good question. No real purpose other than looking different. It’s a kit 13lbs. Ish.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome build! Great job on everything! How dose it run?

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do envy your work shop! Nice project too.
I believe your center drill is ready for a trip to the de-magnetizer though.
I picked up a bulk tape eraser at a flea market some 30~odd years ago and it's been handling the job ever since.
Probably could cut the secondary side off of a microwave transformer and make a plastic cover for it.
I'm not sure what would be the results of doing the cut job on a co-wound transformer. I guess You could always cut one down and see, just make sure to insulate the secondary winding(s) and keep them un-shorted.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Amazing workmanship.

Hope you stay around Charlee. Your modesty is refreshing for a newcomer.

Sharing information and enjoying our obsessions together is what a forum is all about for me.

You are quite talented. Thank you for taking the time to show us this little slice of awesomeness.

Sawrain

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Love your work.

The offset cooling fin cut outs really make it look interesting as well.

Yamaha YZ250 two strokes have O-ring sealed cylinder heads, I had always believed the inner O ring, sealing between the cooling water passages and combustion chamber was silicon.

Though I know aftermarket kits advertise the inner and outer rings as Viton.

I have never had problems with this area sealing either way.

5164DE82-D4DB-45C0-B1E4-71B20143C007.jpeg

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Greetings all. I’ve been a lurker for a while. I don’t have any saws at the moment anymore. But I wanted to share a case reed motor I made with an 090 rotating assembly. It’s for hobby use. Non the less I’d figure I can drop this here. I’m not a very good machinist but I try me best. Moderators, if you feel like this does not belong here, please feel free to take down. I have gotten so much inspiration from your builds it’s my turn to say thank you. This is an almost finished project. Close to firing it up. Second case reed I’ve made using this cylinder.

chinese 090 crank.
Chinese top end (for testing purposes)
Rm65 vforce
Wb23-k4 carb
Home made crank case
Home made manifold
Home made head shell
2 added boost ports.
Custom made pipe

Adjustable timing slide. Since the application is. It saw related I don’t go into detail. naturally my port timings are different. Every hobby has their own way of porting motors. Hopefully you guys can find something useful.

Pictures are not in much of an order as I took them randomly throughout. But I’m sure you guys can figure them out. I have over 200 pics. I can’t upload all of them. But I will try my best to load important ones

View attachment 228541
this is how it currently sits.

View attachment 228542

Here are some of the start and machining process.
I can’t upload them all at once. So I will upload the little by little. Again. Mods. If this is not in the right spot. Feel free to remove.
View attachment 228545 View attachment 228547 View attachment 228548

Wow!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting field of topics connected to this thread .I never thought they made a synthetic rubber that could operate in those temperature ranges so I learned something .
As far as milling machines they no doubt have made improvements since the circa 1940 little Bridgeport model M machine I own .That little pup is only 1/2 HP with about 18" of travel on the Y axis and 5" of quill with a number 2 Morse taper spindle .It's not that it won't do just as well as a more modern machine with DRO's it just takes longer .That thing is so old I've had to make my own tooling a few times because none were commercial available .It's really not that big of a deal because I have tool boxes full of obsolete tooling I scrounged from the scrap tubs at work I've been able to adapt .If nothing else it's a good way to exercise a degree of creativity .In other words use the old bean for something besides a hat rack .

Charlee cee

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Amazing workmanship.

Hope you stay around Charlee. Your modesty is refreshing for a newcomer.

Sharing information and enjoying our obsessions together is what a forum is all about for me.

You are quite talented. Thank you for taking the time to show us this little slice of awesomeness.
Thank you for the kind words sir. I do plan on staying around.

Charlee cee

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Interesting field of topics connected to this thread .I never thought they made a synthetic rubber that could operate in those temperature ranges so I learned something .
As far as milling machines they no doubt have made improvements since the circa 1940 little Bridgeport model M machine I own .That little pup is only 1/2 HP with about 18" of travel on the Y axis and 5" of quill with a number 2 Morse taper spindle .It's not that it won't do just as well as a more modern machine with DRO's it just takes longer .That thing is so old I've had to make my own tooling a few times because none were commercial available .It's really not that big of a deal because I have tool boxes full of obsolete tooling I scrounged from the scrap tubs at work I've been able to adapt .If nothing else it's a good way to exercise a degree of creativity .In other words use the old bean for something besides a hat rack .

i have a limited budget. So I get away with what I can. All my stuff if unfortunately Imported. All I can afford at the moment. It’s not very sturdy. But I work “around” the sloppyness”. Lol

my equipment is not Impressive. 10x22 lathe and a grizzly mill with a dro. My indicators are on the higher end though. I try to stay with us made tooling.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm so old school I still use mechanical micrometers, dial gauges and calipers .On that the calipers which are good ones Mitutoyo they are only for rough measurements . Right down to real nitty gritty out come the Staretts .I'm too damned old and set in my ways to ever go electronic .Some of those BTW I'm the fourth generation to own .

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm so old school I still use mechanical micrometers, dial gauges and calipers .On that the calipers which are good ones Mitutoyo they are only for rough measurements . Right down to real nitty gritty out come the Staretts .I'm too damned old and set in my ways to ever go electronic .Some of those BTW I'm the fourth generation to own .

I’m a Equipment Millwright & not a machinist but I appreciate Mr. L.S. Starrett’s contribution to precision tools.

I too have a fair amount of Starrett stuff that’s old enough to draw social security but it just plan feels better to work with that some of this newer stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nice build Charlee

Starrett one ten thousand dial gauge is my favorite tool when needed. The old stuff does feel better, smoother. Good micrometers to up to four inch are always welcome when needed for common jobs.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got them up to 6 or 8" but quite frankly the only time I've ever used them had been once when made a worm gear wheel which I've only done one in my life time but's another story all together .

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very friggin cool!