090 based case reed motor.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm somewhat familiar with viton but not at those temp ranges .Generally the application had to do with chemical reactivity regarding things like inorganic machine cutting fluids that would destroy buna-n seals in a very short time . I could tell a long story about that but will refrain .

Charlee cee

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm somewhat familiar with viton but not at those temp ranges .Generally the application had to do with chemical reactivity regarding things like inorganic machine cutting fluids that would destroy buna-n seals in a very short time . I could tell a long story about that but will refrain .

Right. Viton usually I find in cfc based refrigerants. They are also not normally not in those ranges of temps. Not under normal operation at least. The manufacturer is in China. He recommended either a silicone blend or this viton comp. Due to the language barrier it’s difficult for me to understand half the stuff he says. Other than it will work. I mean worse case scenarios I’m out a few bucks. But I’ve used these rings before on a similar build.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It might be worth mentioning a flash from the past .A certain old hot saw builder on the west coast,one Art Martin had one of if not the hottest cookie cutter on the coast for years .It was an 090 running highly modified 1/2" chisel chain .Art only slightly mentioned it on a web forum I won't mention or access the rest of my life .
Evidently it used a windowed piston with reed valves in the transfers and a huge carb. No pipe .Art said it would dead stick at about 9,00o .It evindently was more a torquer than a hot rod .That big chain taking a bite about like a bike engine saw did the trick .Other than that Art didn't give out any real secrets on what he actually did.They were buried with him .RIP Art. BTW on one of my hard drives I have a picture of that chain as he only put it on that site I mentioned one time .I'll never try to duplicate it though .

Charlee cee

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It might be worth mentioning a flash from the past .A certain old hot saw builder on the west coast,one Art Martin had one of if not the hottest cookie cutter on the coast for years .It was an 090 running highly modified 1/2" chisel chain .Art only slightly mentioned it on a web forum I won't mention or access the rest of my life .
Evidently it used a windowed piston with reed valves in the transfers and a huge carb. No pipe .Art said it would dead stick at about 9,00o .It evindently was more a torquer than a hot rod .That big chain taking a bite about like a bike engine saw did the trick .Other than that Art didn't give out any real secrets on what he actually did.They were buried with him .RIP Art. BTW on one of my hard drives I have a picture of that chain as he only put it on that site I mentioned one time .I'll never try to duplicate it though .

I love listening to stories like such. Thank you for sharing that. My input. I agree 100 percent on that engine behavior. I have some input on that. As we all know, these motors are derived for torque and low rpms and more importantly, a compact design.

A modern hard hitting 2 stroke requires a few KEY factors to horsepower.

1. Square or under square design.
2. “Long rod” rod ratio.
3. Good transfer volume, timing area and shape
4. A pipe that takes best advantage of the blowdown figures.
5. No excessive amount of primary or secondary compression. I’ve lost power doing this.
6. A harmonically sound rating assembly. The amount of power lost they bad/ excessive harmonics is drastic. (Vibrations are bad in other words)

All modern 2 strokes deal with these issues.

My motor does not meet any of those points lol. But it’s compact and Torquey. Not to mention it’s an outdated design. Transfer volume and flow in my arbitrary opinion, is the biggest offender that hinders this motor ability to rev. Being heavily
Oversquare is second on my
List. I have tried to fix by adding extra ports and widening the ports plus windows. . (I did not show this).
I’ve build different kinds of 2 strokes. Other than trial end error, just by looking the arquitecture of a modern 2 stroke and I quickly
Realized why my motor wouldn’t rev or perform as I would think. But the engineers were and are always one step ahead of us. They motor was purposed for work. We all know this. A lot of what I’ve said many people here already know. I suppose it further points out how much of an ape this cylinder and motor are in nature.

Btw, in have gotten food results adding transfer volume on this motor before. On other ‘motors it sometimes kills the powerband. Not all motors like the same mods as we all know.

Thanks for your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any chance you've weighed it? Is there any intent in the spiraling cut outs in the fins on the head beyond looking completely awesome and saving a few ounces?

Charlee cee

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
WOW...Frigging wow.:eek:.. that’s some very good handy work you have there . :campeon:
and can I ask...what’s your day job is ?

I can see you getting a bit of CAD in the near future :risas3:
If you must know. I’m a
a gasoline/diesel mechanic . My main strength is electrical diagnosis. I’m also a cook. Lol

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just to add something .A rotary table ,plate indexer or dividing head are not something the average home machinist type would own .I have all of them for the simple fact this area became known as the "rust belt " in the 1980's and it sold dirt cheap at auction .Little job shops and some major industry just became a part of history .Often times some of the larger machinery sold for less than scrap prices .Like big old Niles 72" boring mills for 100 bucks .Those things were built to last forever and they nearly did .