GoldMember
Local time
5:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine doesn’t have the bark boxes
Do that means you hang around the wrong clowns there on your fb feed
I haven't been on Facebook since i was banned from the chainsaw repair group 5 year's ago.
My neighbor asked about a bark box for his stihls
Those things are like 90.00
That's new bar and chain money.

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is a barkbox?
It appears to be some bling to make a STIHL brand saw louder, "more custom" looking, and a bit hotter and less powerful. (Disclaimer: I have not run an uncorked muffler on a stock saw, only on ported saws, so this is what I've learned from others.)

From what I've seen power is down from stock when adding the Barkbox and Straight Shot. Maybe it depends on the saw, however STIHL seems to have the setup figured out and optimized.

I would think the same money is better spent with a good saw porter than a bolt-on muffler. When the internals are rearranged, then free-flow exhaust seems to help (but I'm not a porter).

Last edited:

Stihlalltheway

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It appears to be some bling to make a STIHL brand saw louder, "more custom" looking, and a bit hotter and less powerful.

From what I've seen power is down from stock when adding the Barkbox and Straight Shot. Maybe it depends on the saw, however STIHL seems to have the setup figured out and optimized.

I would think the same money is better spent with a good saw porter than a bolt-on muffler. When the internals are rearranged, then free-flow exhaust seems to help (but I'm not a porter).

I think (please correct me if I’m wrong) @Red97 did a dyno test of stock muffler vs bark box vs straight shot. Bark box and straight shot both showed a bit of hp and torque gains. They’re basically the expensive less labor intensive version of a muffler mod, which has been around forever

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It appears to be some bling to make a STIHL brand saw louder, "more custom" looking, and a bit hotter and less powerful.

Here's my take on them, yes, they may give gains in at least some stock saws, as I don't have or have seen data on every last model.
On a ported saw a properly proportioned modified can is going to be extremely hard to beat as it has more internal volume with the stock cover, which as you correctly guessed, when used with the stock diffuser, spreads the exhaust charge throughout the can more evenly.
And yes, it comes with a heavier exhaust note than a modified can as well to the operator which can either be good or bad depending on the users' likings.
A
They are very well made, and as far as bling goes, yes, they are quite handsome looking and even more so if taken to a buffing wheel prior to installation can be made to look like chrome.
One issue that has come up with folks putting these on, is the weight of it. What I mean by that is they are heavier and when compounded with engine vibration can "knock" the threads out of the case in the lower mount bolts. Precautions should be taken when installing.
I let folks decide for themselves, for the time being, I'll still be modifying the can for running on modified Stihl saws.

I think (please correct me if I’m wrong) @Red97 did a dyno test of stock muffler vs bark box vs straight shot. Bark box and straight shot both showed a bit of hp and torque gains. They’re basically the expensive less labor intensive version of a muffler mod, which has been around forever

Where that increase of power in relationship to the power band is going to be more important than how much, as it will allow the saw to shine in one scenario and be less than when the parameters change. I believe it comes down to what the end user is doing with his/her saw to say if it wins or looses, which could change from one job to the next.
One thing is certain, it will be loud doing its thing.

The internet is getting worse.

Manure spreaders must be getting bigger, lots of BS getting spread around....

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why port? Welp....I cut up a storm downed red oak today. A tangled mess it was. Used a ported MS460 with a 28" for the stem, a ported 562XP with a 20" for the smaller stuff, and a ported Makita 6100 with an 18" to work on the stuff that I had to reach up on. It was fun to be able to pull the trigger on some powerful and responsive saws, and the work went quickly. That's why we port....

I thought you hated 562's.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's my take on them, yes, they may give gains in at least some stock saws, as I don't have or have seen data on every last model.
On a ported saw a properly proportioned modified can is going to be extremely hard to beat as it has more internal volume with the stock cover, which as you correctly guessed, when used with the stock diffuser, spreads the exhaust charge throughout the can more evenly.
And yes, it comes with a heavier exhaust note than a modified can as well to the operator which can either be good or bad depending on the users' likings.
A
They are very well made, and as far as bling goes, yes, they are quite handsome looking and even more so if taken to a buffing wheel prior to installation can be made to look like chrome.
One issue that has come up with folks putting these on, is the weight of it. What I mean by that is they are heavier and when compounded with engine vibration can "knock" the threads out of the case in the lower mount bolts. Precautions should be taken when installing.
I let folks decide for themselves, for the time being, I'll still be modifying the can for running on modified Stihl saws.

Where that increase of power in relationship to the power band is going to be more important than how much, as it will allow the saw to shine in one scenario and be less than when the parameters change. I believe it comes down to what the end user is doing with his/her saw to say if it wins or looses, which could change from one job to the next.
One thing is certain, it will be loud doing its thing.

Manure spreaders must be getting bigger, lots of BS getting spread around....
I will 100% give up .1 hp to not have to listen to the loud tone of a front exit. This small of a difference can be overcome by a better sharpened chain.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
2:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to think the same thing. @Scotty Overkill was 40 feet up a 50” diameter red oak limbing everything on the drop zone side. I couldn’t figure out for the life of me why he would do all that if he was going to drop the tree anyway. On the opposite side, a 36” diameter limb had split and broken off. While in the process of cutting up that limb, I had 3 saws stuck in the tree due to the torsion and compression everywhere and on every limb. I never questioned why he removed limbs again after that
I prefer to just fell stuff but limby trees are a lot of pinchy mess to cut up on the ground. I watched some guys demo some huge codom eucs down here from a bucket truck. Way easier to cut it while suspended. Maybe even just firewood it from up there depending on what the next step in the process is.

But I still prefer to just dump them

Preferably straight onto my trailer

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 562 is a great handling saw. Solid performance too. I'm not overly fond of the lack of quality control that I see when working on new Husqvarna saws.
I'm guessing Husqvarna U.S. manufacturing shifted to China.

---
Husqvarna closures in: AK, AR, GA, TN, NE, and SC (previous link).
Husqvarna To Invest $26M In New Chinese Factory, statement from Husqvarna Group
Husqvarna to Acquire Jenn Feng Outdoor Products Operation (Taiwan, production is mainly based in China)

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

---
Husqvarna to Acquire Jenn Feng Outdoor Products Operation (Taiwan, production is mainly based in China)

I have no idea where exactly they assemble them. From what I've seen though....I'd guess they are assembled by 12 year old Indonesian children.
So you’re saying it was better when Electrolux owned them ? lol

Better buy a boat
The tears are gonna flow

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

---
This was just the smaller saws that were manufactured in the poulan plant. They shut that down and shifted production to China and Brazil. Not sure where all the pro saws are made but it was Brazil and Sweden.