Who likes the last (2019) Husqvarna 545 mkI

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a 2016 545 that was stock except for a slight muffler mod and a Jonsered version 2252 that had a large muffler mod, advanced timing and was broken in. The 2252 was noticeably stronger.

They seem to like opening up the muffler but get pretty loud, pretty quickly. The 2252 did like the advance too. I liked running both of these saws. I was running 18” .325 .050 72.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
6:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a 2016 545 that was stock except for a slight muffler mod and a Jonsered version 2252 that had a large muffler mod, advanced timing and was broken in. The 2252 was noticeably stronger.

They seem to like opening up the muffler but get pretty loud, pretty quickly. The 2252 did like the advance too. I liked running both of these saws. I was running 18” .325 .050 72.

How much timing advance did you do? Was it measured degree wise or the amount of the keyway?

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Half the distance between flywheel fins

Both mods (small muffler mod) and advance worth doing in your opinions? My next saw size up will soon just be a ms660.. hahaha. I’m essentially now to be just a firewood hoarder and timber miller..

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Both mods (small muffler mod) and advance worth doing in your opinions? My next saw size up will soon just be a ms660.. hahaha. I’m essentially now to be just a firewood hoarder and timber miller..
Yes on that saw is was definitely worth it. Not all saws like the timing advanced but do usually respond well to muffler work

Penguin

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I never had one... but I always wanted to. It is a saw that makes a LOT of sense for wood scroungers and farm owners like myself. I'm betting you'll only grow to like it more as time goes by.

That ash reminds me of some I've got to get down soon myself. They are pretty big and have been dead for a few years now. They only get more dangerous the longer I let them stand. I haven't seen a live ash in years. But I am seeing sprouts coming up from the roots of a few I've cut. No idea how long they'll last.

Will

Tpagel

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the 2252 they speak of above.
Love it cuts like crazy, a little loud but way above weight class in performance.

I also had a well ported 545 that was even faster @Boomer87 won't trade it back to me. I like 50cc saws and these are great runners .

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never had one... but I always wanted to. It is a saw that makes a LOT of sense for wood scroungers and farm owners like myself. I'm betting you'll only grow to like it more as time goes by.

That ash reminds me of some I've got to get down soon myself. They are pretty big and have been dead for a few years now. They only get more dangerous the longer I let them stand. I haven't seen a live ash in years. But I am seeing sprouts coming up from the roots of a few I've cut. No idea how long they'll last.

Will

Hi Will, I think they make sense too. I am only struggling a tad condensing my fleet from a ms361, a 365xt with transfers ground to 372xp, and a ms660. I can’t afford all the saws and we are doing a house renovation atm. So I am thinking of a small saw which can still ring up fairly big stuff if needed and the 660 with a 25” and 36” for when the 545 bows out.

But will I miss the torque of my ‘smaller’saws against this 545?

I see the odd ash still standing alive, but I’m not sure for how long. Where do you live?

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the 2252 they speak of above.
Love it cuts like crazy, a little loud but way above weight class in performance.

I also had a well ported 545 that was even faster @Boomer87 won't trade it back to me. I like 50cc saws and these are great runners .

Where would you put it in comparative cutting performance? Mines two tanks through, big standard atm. I like the fact that it is so so light.

Tpagel

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where would you put it in comparative cutting performance? Mines two tanks through, big standard atm. I like the fact that it is so so light.
I never ran either in stock form. Both are bury the bar and go saws.
Ported one was more violent.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never ran either in stock form. Both are bury the bar and go saws.
Ported one was more violent.

Let me rephrase, are they kinda like stock versions of broken in ms261, 254xp, 550xp, 357’s/9s, 346xp etc. [emoji106][emoji106] or any others saws for that matter. Cheers!

Penguin

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Adamski: I live in West Virginia. The emerald ash bore has killed just about every ash tree in the region. They're just gone. Its sad but I've heard some say that eventually the ash bore and the tree will come to some sort of equilibrium. I sure hope so.

Sounds like you've got a lot of good options for saws. The 545 is another good one isn't it? It's good to have nice, dependable tools. I consider myself lucky in that way.

Will

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Adamski: I live in West Virginia. The emerald ash bore has killed just about every ash tree in the region. They're just gone. Its sad but I've heard some say that eventually the ash bore and the tree will come to some sort of equilibrium. I sure hope so.

Sounds like you've got a lot of good options for saws. The 545 is another good one isn't it? It's good to have nice, dependable tools. I consider myself lucky in that way.

Will

Ha, for a while I thought you might have been from the uk, I didn’t know the US had ash die back too. It’s a shame, we see very few living healthy ash, and even fewer big elms due to Dutch elm. Soon I feel there will be a problem with oaks. But on another matter I do also feel lucky to have decent saws, my bank balance doesn’t. I cut for fun and to keep the heating bills down in winter. I mill big bits when I can and either sell them locally or think of things to make.
All the best buddy.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Will

The 545 so far seems like a very good one, like an evolution of a 346xp new edition. I like it a lot and that’s saying something when I have palmed off every saw I’ve come across smaller than 60cc. This is doing it for me big time.