High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Who gets frustrated???

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
2:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I happened to be at the counter of my dealer when a guy was picking up a 660 that had been repaired. I was oogling the big saw and the customer asked for a "new chain" . I was thinking hmmm wonder if he asks for RM or RS ?. The counter guy saws "green or yellow ?"... Customer says "yellow...of course"
After the customer left I thought about the pile of skidded sticks I had at my house and asked for 36" RM?..they don't carry, never heard of nor knew what RM was....I could order some but it would come in a 5 box order.
No one had ever asked for RM to their knowledge ....and the 36" only cane in .050
I scratched my head in dismay.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I get so frustrated when I take the time to intensely sharpen a chain and it does not run well. I live in an area that has a lot of hard woods and am thinking about buying nothing but semi chisel from here on out as i hAve had bether luck keeping an edge on it versus chisel. Anyone else do that? I have almost every type of sharpening device known to man and find that the Oregon file guide works best for me but take too much time. I have a granberg file n joint, an Oregon jig just like the granberg, a timber tuff electric grinder, a husky roller guide, and a 12 volt oregon grinder.

If you had to buy one sharpening tool what would it be?
I like oregon grinder it works great. Wish I had a gas power grinder for big job sites. Few weeks back I was taking a big dead oak down with my top handle stihl full chiz chain did ok till the chain derail and *f-worded up a few drivers. Then I Put On My Stihl Semi Chiz With agressive Rakers And busted That. Last chain in Mt fleet was a carlton semi chiz not as agressive rakers that held up the rest of the job. I like having both full and semi chiz for my saws, seems the semi chiz is way better in dirty wood and stump cuts. But if I'm trimming a tree I like the full chiz better it leaves a smoother finish cut imo

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've gotten much better at filing over the last few weeks and have decided that for 80% of my cutting I am going to be using semi chisel. I'm mainly cutting blow downs and skidded logs. Even when I'm cutting other stuff it is autumn olive, thickets, fence lines, ect.

Suppose I'll have to find some good standing stuff to knock down so i can play with the banana stuffed 460.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
1:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wish I had a gas power grinder for big job sites.
I usually try to have at least 3 chains per saw with me, so that I can swap out in the field if they need more than a light touch up.

Doing storm damage clean up (lots of debris) we have run the Oregon type grinders off of portable generators. Trick is to have some way to set them up in the field (clamp to picnic table, mount on/in equipment trailer, on a step ladder, hitch receiver, etc.). The little Harbor Freight type grinders have small amp motors and will run off of an inverter, if they are acceptable to you, even for that use.

Philbert

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the idea of the harbor freight grinder on an inverter never thought of that I'm quite good with my *s-wordty little harbor frieght grinder . It's junk but has paid for itself . I hand file mostly but get on a kick of using it to clean up some busted chains from time to time . I feel like you learn somthing new every time you hold a file . I've been hand filing for years and seem to get better every season I cut . I too carry lots of chain with me sometimes my work requires 30 plus trees to be gone so filing in the field is a waste of time if you're racing weather. I have a " bookbag " full of my goodies. Saves a long hike in the mud sometimes .

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get so frustrated when I take the time to intensely sharpen a chain and it does not run well. I live in an area that has a lot of hard woods and am thinking about buying nothing but semi chisel from here on out as i hAve had bether luck keeping an edge on it versus chisel. Anyone else do that? I have almost every type of sharpening device known to man and find that the Oregon file guide works best for me but take too much time. I have a granberg file n joint, an Oregon jig just like the granberg, a timber tuff electric grinder, a husky roller guide, and a 12 volt oregon grinder.

If you had to buy one sharpening tool what would it be?
What seems to be the problem ,uneven filing and it pulls? What length bars are you talking about?

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought I might be the only one who filed a chain in a hotel. I took some with me to practice on a few months ago. Of course they are round filed for firewood and actually could cut butter. After the bar warmed up. :roto2lol:

Attachments

• 20160206_164741.jpg
    20160206_164741.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 35

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I filed a couple 1/2" chains for Leeha.
4acf6d1be593dfc3b5910d0ff6d1a5c0.jpg

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
4:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I only use a file.
I have tried the grinders and hate them.
When filing, it is important to concentrate on the stroke and follow through as you file the tooth.
I line the file up on the tooth, ensure my angle is correct, sit the file in the tooth and push it through with my whole body concentrating on keeping the file running true to the angle it started on.
When you start pushing it through with just your arms going back and forth, you can rock the file and it only takes a few degrees in the wrong direction to mess things up.
Its all about consistency.
Keep your feet and body in the same spot while you file.
Rotate the chain so you file the tooth in the same spot on the bar each time.
Don't try and push too hard to only do 1 or 2 strokes. Take it through easy so the file is biting but not digging in causing you to rock the file as it bites.

Look at the teeth before and after. Feel the tooth as you file slowly and get to know what it feels like when its sharp.

When i am in the field cutting firewood, I like to sharpen often and keep it running fast.
Each tank of fuel I enjoy a 5 minute breather sitting the bar in a stump vice I have hammered into some timber and passing the file over each tooth lightly once or twice.
Lets me and the saw cool off a touch and when I fire it back up, it cuts like new again.

I am NEVER in enough of a rush to cut with a dull chain.

Full chisel is easier to sharpen by hand with a file than semi chisel, but when you work out semi chisel it can cut almost as fast.
I also find full chisel is more forgiving and cuts better when filed poorly. Semi just wont cut if you dont get it right.

I am really seriously thinking about taking the next step into square file :)