Getting Tired Of Oregon Chain

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
11:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have a loop with some hard cutters I’ll nip it on my crap harbor frieght grinder just enough to get passed that and as mentioned it’ll file fine after that first go. I personally have never had that with Oregon but I have ran into that issue before.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
8:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Love Oregon chain. Haven’t bought any in a year or so though. Sure it does stretch first couple tightening. It always has. It’s not as durable as stihl or Carlton used to be but it’s my favorite on long bars. Only thing I buy
It's advertised that still chain goes through a pre stretch process

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
8:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Love Oregon chain. Haven’t bought any in a year or so though. Sure it does stretch first couple tightening. It always has. It’s not as durable as stihl or Carlton used to be but it’s my favorite on long bars. Only thing I buy
Why do you like it, or what do you like about it?

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nuts319 was just saying the same in a toob video. Inconsistent hardness of teeth I beleive.

I have always used 72lgx and been happy. Have enuough of them that I won't have to try anything new for a little bit. I did buy an X-cut chain last year but I wore out a flat file trying to get through the chrome on the rakers.

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've sharpened 1,000's of chains and have never noticed some teeth being harder than the others. I've also never filed a chain before and have only ever used a bench grinder. :roto2nuse:
How would you know if the cutters are too hard with a grinder and you never used a file?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If LPX is no good anymore, then that sux. The semi-chisel version PXL always been my go to for 3/8" low profile, was reminded of this fact Sunday while giving my little Echo 303T some exercise. I've always found this is one chain that actually likes you to lean on it more than others, mebbe due to the longer cutters.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a "cheap pro" grinder and it changed my chainsaw activities for the better!
I used to exclusively round file all my chains, touch ups and severely rocked - I lost days, weeks, months filing chains.
No more!

When I want a super duper edge on my chain I will sit down and file it!
Otherwise each and every loop gets ground.
One rough big bite grinding pass to get the gullet cleaned and any damage in the cutter, followed by one or two mild passes up high under the tooth to get that beautiful C I like so much.

I would like to try an entry level Oregon grinder, but my AMA MAXX PRO is currently covering all the basses I care about, which includes grinding Carbide tipped chains.

Oddly enough I find myself utilizing chains that are not Oregon.
I have been running a Carlton and a Husqvarna, both good chains in my book.
The Carlton round files for touch ups in the field very well!

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a "cheap pro" grinder and it changed my chainsaw activities for the better!
I used to exclusively round file all my chains, touch ups and severely rocked - I lost days, weeks, months filing chains.
No more!

One rough big bite grinding pass to get the gullet cleaned and any damage in the cutter, followed by one or two mild passes up high under the tooth to get that beautiful C I like so much.

I would like to try an entry level Oregon grinder, but my AMA MAXX PRO is currently covering all the basses I care about, which includes grinding Carbide tipped chains.

I don't have a grinder, never did, never will.
It's Nicholson files for me.
Been cutting metal and filing all my adult life and just retired. I guess it's the curse of the Toolmaker.

calcutta250

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't have a grinder, never did, never will.
It's Nicholson files for me.
Been cutting metal and filing all my adult life and just retired. I guess it's the curse of the Toolmaker.
No love for Simonds? I agree that Nicholson produces a great file. It is my go to brand for general machining files.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like trying to convince grandpa to use a self propelled motorized lawnmower but says a push mower has worked just fine his whole life so why start using one now. 😆
It’s a zen thing. Handfiling a fast smooth chain, is a satisfying experience. It’s something you wouldn’t understand, and I’m not saying this to be a jerk, you literally haven’t tried filing.

Grinding is fine too, but I think you should try a good file before you knock it. It’s never too late to learn a new skill.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s a zen thing. Handfiling a fast smooth chain, is a satisfying experience. It’s something you wouldn’t understand, and I’m not saying this to be a jerk, you literally haven’t tried filing.

Grinding is fine too, but I think you should try a good file before you knock it. It’s never too late to learn a new skill.
I really don't think anything negative was meant by his post.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No more!

I've been a fan of Carlton for a long time and still use it. The last time I priced it the Husqvarna was a better deal so I switched. No complaints on either.