USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
11:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That chuck roast can be an unforgiving slab of meat on the grill...think it's why man invented the crockpot. I've tried them a few times on the grill, low and slow for a few hours, searing their asses, and still rather eat the soles on your boots. Very interested @quietfly how you prep these bad boys for the grill.

I'm thinking about investing in either a Camp Chef or Traeger Pellet Grill for this same type of grilling. Being able to let it do its thing throughout the nighttime on the wknd, the grill simply does its thing...minus some ash cleanout. I know the Canp Chef big one they got has an automatic ash cleaning deal. I'm sure the others do as well...just depends on how deep the pocket is. Aside from all this OT I been getting here lately, my pockets be pretty shallow. We shall see.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That chuck roast can be an unforgiving slab of meat on the grill...think it's why man invented the crockpot. I've tried them a few times on the grill, low and slow for a few hours, searing their asses, and still rather eat the soles on your boots. Very interested @quietfly how you prep these bad boys for the grill.

I'm thinking about investing in either a Camp Chef or Traeger Pellet Grill for this same type of grilling. Being able to let it do its thing throughout the nighttime on the wknd, the grill simply does its thing...minus some ash cleanout. I know the Canp Chef big one they got has an automatic ash cleaning deal. I'm sure the others do as well...just depends on how deep the pocket is. Aside from all this OT I been getting here lately, my pockets be pretty shallow. We shall see.

I actually love chuck, I wish there was more of it on a cow.

When we get our cow butchered I normally get half the chuck cut into roasts and the other half into Chuck Steak (1" - 1 1/4" thick)

The roasts get put into the crock pot in the winter time. The steaks we generally marinate them for 24-48 hours and I throw them on the grill. I have always been very happy with the results from the grill.

On another note, last year Lisa decided to do a roast at the last minuet for us before she headed to work one morning. She hadn't thawed any of our meat so she ran to town to grab a chuck roast from the store.
When I got home from work and cut into it I knew immediately that something wasn't right. Granted the roast was edible, but it wasn't anything like the meat in the freezer that comes from our barn.

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the note of meat from our barn vs something from the store.

A few years back for chits and giggles I went out and bought Sirloin steak, T-bone and Ribeye from the store. Then I pulled out Sizzler and a Round Steak from our freezer.

All 4 of them I seasoned the same and cooked the same. That evening we had friends over and I had everyone try all 4 steaks without them knowing what was up.

Unanimously everyone thought the low end steaks from our freezer were better than the others.....

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the biaaatch hung up in the garage. I'll peel the inners out tomorrow and fry them up Friday night when the kids come home from college for homecoming. All 3 kids love them some venison. Gonna let the rest hang as long as I can.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
10:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I would think if the roast is aged for a week in the fridge, a lot of the connective tissue would break down, making the meat a lot more tender. Cooked slowly and sliced thinly across the grain, I bet it's pretty good.

I had to order a new smoker. The entire bottom fell out of mine. I've been nursing it and finally there wasn't enough left to hold things together.
I've used the propane cabinet style units for the past 20 years and am comfortable with them. Once I got the temp regulated where I wanted it, I could walk away and it wouldn't change. I've smoked many a brisket overnight and the cabinet temp was the same in the morning, as it was when I went to bed.
The company that made them was local in Missouri and built a good unit. Masterbuilt bought them and the quality just isn't there any more.
The unit I ordered is a 48" Weston. We'll see how it does.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would think if the roast is aged for a week in the fridge, a lot of the connective tissue would break down, making the meat a lot more tender. Cooked slowly and sliced thinly across the grain, I bet it's pretty good.

I had to order a new smoker. The entire bottom fell out of mine. I've been nursing it and finally there wasn't enough left to hold things together.
I've used the propane cabinet style units for the past 20 years and am comfortable with them. Once I got the temp regulated where I wanted it, I could walk away and it wouldn't change. I've smoked many a brisket overnight and the cabinet temp was the same in the morning, as it was when I went to bed.
The company that made them was local in Missouri and built a good unit. Masterbuilt bought them and the quality just isn't there any more.
The unit I ordered is a 48" Weston. We'll see how it does.
I have a masterbuilt 40" electric. Got it 5 or 6 years ago. No problems so far, other than mold if I don't crank it up to 275° for a few hours after I'm done. @Genius's is the first propane smoker I've ever used and it worked great, even though, according to him, I ruined it forever smoking salmon

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a masterbuilt 40" electric. Got it 5 or 6 years ago. No problems so far, other than mold if I don't crank it up to 275° for a few hours after I'm done. @Genius's is the first propane smoker I've ever used and it worked great, even though, according to him, I ruined it forever smoking salmon
There's nothing wrong with Masterbuilt, I looked at them and would have probably been happy with one. The company they bought, made a heavy walled unit. When Masterbuilt bought them, everything got lighter gauge.

I've smoked Salmon in mine. Maybe that's why the bottom fell out?
I'll have be more careful in the future. Are trout OK?

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's nothing wrong with Masterbuilt, I looked at them and would have probably been happy with one. The company they bought, made a heavy walled unit. When Masterbuilt bought them, everything got lighter gauge.

Any fish will kill a smoker.

Kevin owes me one. I'm thinking about ordering a Lang and sending him the bill after what he did to mine at the GTG

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Lol.

I'm thinking it's something to do with the heat, ashes, and all the liquids being absorbed by the ash laying in the bottom.

My electric is insulated, or it would probably only reach 150° in summer. It's either aluminum or stainless inside. I noticed Ross's was only single wall. Propane would probably get too hot if they were insulated. It sure made great tasting salmon though,:D

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any fish will kill a smoker.

Kevin owes me one. I'm thinking about ordering a Lang and sending him the bill after what he did to mine at the GTG
Pfffftt. Imma drive my ass to GR and get you a Little Chief in trade for your "ruined" smoker

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any tuna casserole is out of the question. I hate that chit
My mom could make a Tuna casserole that was edible. She only made it when my dad wasn't going to be home for dinner.
I haven't had Tuma casserole in 30 years. I'm not particularly fond of it either.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My mom could make a Tuna casserole that was edible. She only made it when my dad wasn't going to be home for dinner.
I haven't had Tuma casserole in 30 years. I'm not particularly fond of it either.
It's probably been that long since it was force fed to me too

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes...am certainly interested in how the prep work is done?
So i don't have any more pictures of that one as with the new baby i've been swamped. but here's a quick run down of what i do.
To prep the roast i pull any loose fat off i can find. I put a dry rub on the roast and let it sit in the refrigerator for a couple days. then i smoke it at some where around 220 or lower. When the roast hits the Wall ( about 156-159 degrees depending on the meat and fat content) usually about hour 4 or so, I flip it and wrap it in aluminum foil for the next 3 hours or so. About hour 6 i start taking temp's to see if it has started to climb. once it has started to climb and is around 165, i un wrap it and start heavy smoke again . i monitor it until it hits about 180-185. usually around hour 11 or 12. i let it sit until it gets to 195 and then it's done.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So i don't have any more pictures of that one as with the new baby i've been swamped. but here's a quick run down of what i do.
To prep the roast i pull any loose fat off i can find. I put a dry rub on the roast and let it sit in the refrigerator for a couple days. then i smoke it at some where around 220 or lower. When the roast hits the Wall ( about 156-159 degrees depending on the meat and fat content) usually about hour 4 or so, I flip it and wrap it in aluminum foil for the next 3 hours or so. About hour 6 i start taking temp's to see if it has started to climb. once it has started to climb and is around 165, i un wrap it and start heavy smoke again . i monitor it until it hits about 180-185. usually around hour 11 or 12. i let it sit until it gets to 195 and then it's done.
Thanks, I'm definitely going to give it a try.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Appreciate the info...gonna give this a try no doubt.

Greenthorn

Least Informed OPE Member
Local time
4:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cube steak, venison style. I usually just butterfly slice the fat end of the loins and cook them just about like cube steaks, have done this for 30 years and I just love em. It takes awhile the way I do it. Will soak them overnight in milk, then flour and fry about 4 minutes a side, then let them set in the oven for about an hour at 160. I always save and freeze black morels just specifically for this meal, it is so awesome...you do not need a knife for these, and they just melt in your mouth.

deer.JPG