beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
5:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_0633.jpeg17 taps. Boiled around 120 gallons so far. Haven’t finished any syrup and don’t plan to until I’m done boiling for the season. Finishing everything in one shot just works better for me. Less wasted syrup and less mess to clean.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 41052017 taps. Boiled around 120 gallons so far. Haven’t finished any syrup and don’t plan to until I’m done boiling for the season. Finishing everything in one shot just works better for me. Less wasted syrup and less mess to clean.

Looking good! I can smell it from here. We cooked yesterday morning in some serious wind. Temps were crazy (65+) so I felt like we needed to get the sap dealt with. There were wildfire warnings, and even with 14' of cooker length, 30' of stack, and the fall back to earth, our rig definitely puts live embers out in a dangerous way. Kept a real close eye on things and only started one small fire in the dry leaves. Luckily I caught it right away and a 5 gallon bucket of water plus a full bladder was enough to put it out. Good thing because the wind was blowing right towards my neighbor's house. I imagine she wouldn't have been too pleased if I lit the whole woods on fire right upwind of her. Anyway, we did get through all the sap before it spoiled and made some nice syrup. Started making some stuff that isn't too light like earlier in the season.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking good! I can smell it from here. We cooked yesterday morning in some serious wind. Temps were crazy (65+) so I felt like we needed to get the sap dealt with. There were wildfire warnings, and even with 14' of cooker length, 30' of stack, and the fall back to earth, our rig definitely puts live embers out in a dangerous way. Kept a real close eye on things and only started one small fire in the dry leaves. Luckily I caught it right away and a 5 gallon bucket of water plus a full bladder was enough to put it out. Good thing because the wind was blowing right towards my neighbor's house. I imagine she wouldn't have been too pleased if I lit the whole woods on fire right upwind of her. Anyway, we did get through all the sap before it spoiled and made some nice syrup. Started making some stuff that isn't too light like earlier in the season.
Temps are about the same here. I’m boiling the fifteen gallons I collected tonight to keep it from spoiling as well. We’re in no danger of any kind of fire. My whole place looks like a swamp..more rain mid week that we do not need.
Gonna be a short season unless the weather changes.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ryan Browne. Do you still have any syrup to sell?
Apologies for dropping off the radar here. Things went a little hectic around here of late.
Have a family member in the hospital still.
dang Cellphone has just quit cooperating, so no mobile or text options for now.
I'm down to laptop and email or else a landline phone for comms at this point.
I'm able to check in here at various times.

ryan a

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What types of maple are you tapping? We have a ton of silver maple around my parts yet I’ve heard that’s the least desirable to tap for Maple syrup.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Ryan Browne

Apologies for dropping off the radar here. Things went a little hectic around here of late.

@legdelimber Add an @ sign before slowly add a members name and a dropdown will appear , easy way to add a reference for a target person to be notified to.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

@Ryan Browne

@legdelimber Add an @ sign before slowly add a members name and a dropdown will appear , easy way to add a reference for a target person to be notified to.

Thanks for the teamwork guys. Yes, plenty of syrup for sale. I'm actually needing to go get bottles and bottle some up in the next week or so. I am out of both quarts and pints. I buy pallets of both sizes and while the pints didn't change sizes, quarts went up 60% compared to a year ago. Gotta love that!

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What types of maple are you tapping? We have a ton of silver maple around my parts yet I’ve heard that’s the least desirable to tap for Maple syrup.
You can tap silvers or reds it just takes more sap to make a gallon.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Happened to be over near one of the local supply retailers (https://pittmanmaplefarms.com/) with my trailer today. I have been out of quart glass since I bottled a big batch in November. Nice to finally restock. 20240311_172114.jpg

There were some mixed reactions to my 11' 6" high stack of expensive glass bottles, but I made it home safe and sound. Can't argue with results, right? I figured that it'd be pretty secure sammwiched between two pieces of 3/4" plywood.

In other news, the sap has been running good. We're gonna bottle up some quarts in the morning and fire up the evaporator in the afternoon.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
High winds blew a few of my buckets around yesterday. Seemed like it was running ok this morning but with the temps rising I think we’re about done here.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Taps are pulled. We’re boiling our last 30 gallons of sap tonight. I’ll be surprised if we end up with 3 gallons total but it’s been a good time hanging out with the kids.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Ryan Browne any Wed or Thursday plans?

Unlikely. Looks like it's gonna be cold and or snowing. We don't have much sap on hand. Might run a little this afternoon and tomorrow. Gonna cook what's on hand tomorrow afternoon and then it looks like we're taking a break for cold weather and a pile of snow. Hopefully we catch some nice sap runs during and after the weather. Sap seems to love a good snow storm, and I'll be happy to have the moisture. We sure need it!