What oil is best? and what ratio?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
4:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My vw recommendation is 5w40 for my Jetta interestingly. Is it much difference between it and diesel 5w40? Pardon my stupid question lol. Just curious. I’m sure the additives are different?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My vw recommendation is 5w40 for my Jetta interestingly. Is it much difference between it and diesel 5w40? Pardon my stupid question lol. Just curious. I’m sure the additives are different?
I believe that 5W 40 is the weight of most synthetic oils designed for diesels. Never seen one designed for gas, but I haven't really looked either

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe that 5W 40 is the weight of most synthetic oils designed for diesels. Never seen one designed for gas, but I haven't really looked either
The selection is pretty limited, only seen Mobil 0w40, Castrol 5w40, liqui moly 5w40 or amsoil. I tried the first 3 so far but not the amsoil yet.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen Rotella work. Ready-Mix trucks, dump trucks, dozers, backhoes, loaders... we never had a failure of any sort in 25 years. But mobil one on the other hand, I've been into Chevy 350s where carbon was caked under the intake manifold an inch thick. My own truck. Run on mobil one from day one. Sometimes old school is better
I was referring to its use in a motorcycle, where the oil is exposed to transmission gears and the clutch. And consider that a lot of modern inline 4's rev to 15,000rpm +. I tried it once and I could feel a lack of shift quality. It felt like the beat down 3500 mile M1 I just drained. Ended up dumping it very early and going back to my gold standard. That same M1 seemed to degrade quicker in my Ducati so I switched to an ester base oil. So far I'm happy with the change. It's all about the feeling in my left foot while shifting. I'm sure all most all modern oils will do their job if changed frequently. But being so in tune with the machine, I have a higher sensitivity for the finer details.
I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a car/truck, if I weren't so loyal to my current preference.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was referring to its use in a motorcycle, where the oil is exposed to transmission gears and the clutch. And consider that a lot of modern inline 4's rev to 15,000rpm +. I tried it once and I could feel a lack of shift quality. It felt like the beat down 3500 mile M1 I just drained. Ended up dumping it very early and going back to my gold standard. That same M1 seemed to degrade quicker in my Ducati so I switched to an ester base oil. So far I'm happy with the change. It's all about the feeling in my left foot while shifting. I'm sure all most all modern oils will do their job if changed frequently. But being so in tune with the machine, I have a higher sensitivity for the finer details.
I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a car/truck, if I weren't so loyal to my current preference.
My post wasn't directed toward you. I actually thought it was pretty cool that motorcycle users were trying Rotella T in their bikes. Didn't surprise me that it didn't work out well for you. 15K RPMs seems like a lot for an oil designed for diesels. I was just referring to the amount of carbon buildup left by Mobile 1 30 years ago. I'm not sure if it's the same formula now as it was then, but I won't be switching to it just because synthetics are supposed to be better. Rotella T has a track record that's proven when used what it was designed for

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All good Kev. Just chewing the fat about erl.
A lot of motorcycle guys use and are satisfied with the T6. I constantly get linked to bob is the oil guy threads with uoa's. One thing they cannot provide is how hard it is to push the shifter into the next gear.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All good Kev. Just chewing the fat about erl.
A lot of motorcycle guys use and are satisfied with the T6. I constantly get linked to bob is the oil guy threads with uoa's. One thing they cannot provide is how hard it is to push the shifter into the next gear.
Yep. I was trying to word that in a way that made it sound like I wasn't directing it towards you. I'm not a very good wordsmith.
Back when I worked for Dad in the late 80s and 90s, we still had old rear discharge Ready Mix trucks from the previous owner. A couple were dated early 60s but most were made in the early 70s. Mostly large straight 6 gas motors. I don't ever remember an engine burning up or needing major maintenance. When you've seen something work for 40 years you tend to believe in it

Flatzout

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen Rotella work. Ready-Mix trucks, dump trucks, dozers, backhoes, loaders... we never had a failure of any sort in 25 years. But mobil one on the other hand, I've been into Chevy 350s where carbon was caked under the intake manifold an inch thick. My own truck. Run on mobil one from day one. Sometimes old school is better

You've seen 350's caked up from Mobil , and you still run it ?

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
3:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice! Ive upgraded everything on this Marin. Sram XX front and rear shifter/derailluer, Sunrace 11-46 Cassette, Raceface Turbine R Rear Wheel, Renthal Carbon Fatbars, Magura MT4 4 piston front/ rear brakes with 203mm rotors, Raceface Chester Pedals, Raceface Dropper Seatpost, RedMonkey Silicone Grips, etc.:)

Glad to hear Raceface is still around making quality components, I was a sales rep for them 25 or so years ago.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The difference between diesel oil and regular oil for cars is the low ash qualities. It breaks down the soot and and carries it to filter better.
Therr are a few different 5W40 oils for cars.
I hsd good luck with Chevron Delo too. Good UOAs.
When I was using Rotella T I just saw slightly more wear inside the engine. Slightly higher metals in the report. I had very low wear metals showing up in the UIA using Mobil 1 5W40 Turbo Diesel Oil. So I use Mobil 1 now. Lol. Simple. Whatever works for you.
On a side note, I also observed slightly better fuel mileage when using Mobil 1 as well.
Rotella T uses a base stock from recycled oils. Mobil 1 uses a more pure fully synthetic base stock to formulate their oils.
In short, my truck just runs better on Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad to hear Raceface is still around making quality components, I was a sales rep for them 25 or so years ago.

I have Raceface cranks on two of my bikes and they hold up to some pretty abusive riding

I tried their Atlas pedals on my carbon fiber ride because they were about the lightest full size flat pedal and I didn’t like them until I got some of the new Shimano shoes with the softer Michelin tread and it was a whole new world of grip

Their stuff is worth the $

Roost426

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
A lot has changed in motor oil's, it seems like Pennzoil had a bad rep from years ago of their conventional oil sludging up motors and nowadays Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum are some of the best synthetics out there.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been using it in all my auto's for about 25 years now. :thumbsup:
I’ve been on the insides of some as well. Always crystal clean, zero hints of any buildup of any kind.

Dad always taught me to never use Quaker sludge and penzoil. I’ve seen the results, but that was years ago. Now I’ve found one that works. Started with Castrol GTX before the synthetics became affordable. Always served me well too.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never had a uoa done on rotella. My dad swares by it. Had several tractors trucks and semis go very long tine with it. The shop i work at uses golf syn blend 15w40 bulk oil. Some of our customers go up to 50k on pms and see acceptable to them UOA. Myself wouldnt go that long no matter what oil i used though. @RI Chevy what were you seeing in your UOAs that you didnt like with the t6? Also what happens at the injectors that is so rough on the oil on the 6.0 fords?

They are under high pressure oil pump that actually fires the injector. 3000-3800 psi

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The difference between diesel oil and regular oil for cars is the low ash qualities. It breaks down the soot and and carries it to filter better.
Therr are a few different 5W40 oils for cars.
I hsd good luck with Chevron Delo too. Good UOAs.
When I was using Rotella T I just saw slightly more wear inside the engine. Slightly higher metals in the report. I had very low wear metals showing up in the UIA using Mobil 1 5W40 Turbo Diesel Oil. So I use Mobil 1 now. Lol. Simple. Whatever works for you.
On a side note, I also observed slightly better fuel mileage when using Mobil 1 as well.
Rotella T uses a base stock from recycled oils. Mobil 1 uses a more pure fully synthetic base stock to formulate their oils.

In the 7.3 I had it started on synthetic in the winter way way better. In 0 weather it would take 2-3 tries to start with me helping it idle for a second before I could walk away on regular rotella. Synthetic it would usually start on the first try without any help.