What oil is best? and what ratio?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the question of the day... Shell Rotella T6 for a motorcycle. Hottest topic on any group/forum chat related to 2 wheels. I've tried it and have my own opinion. Whatcha think?
I cannot see an oil designed for diesel truck use having the same anti-sheer package as a dedicated moto-specific one.
I say no go!!!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only thing it has going for it is low ash. Lol
I used Rotella T for a couple of changes a while ago. I got less than favorable UOAs. I switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic and got excellent reports.

Last edited:

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used Rotella T for a couple of changes z while ago. I got less than favorable UOAs. I switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic and got excellent reports.
2 wheels or 4? I figured it'd be a good 4 wheel oil. Bob is the oil guy reports are seemingly favorable according to the fan boys.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used Rotella T for a couple of changes z while ago. I got less than favorable UOAs. I switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic and got excellent reports.
And I use the M1 4t and have for the past 11 years in my Honda's. For my Duc, I recently switched to BelRay EXS. So far, I like it in that bike.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here I'll throw a wrench into the gears here.
Winter of 1986 I met up with a Stihl engineer by the name off Yurgen Wolfe straight from the German factory.
I was running a prototype 044 on a field test when he came up to our logging operation here in northern Manitoba.

Through all our conversations he told me the best mix oil at 40:1 for durabilty and cleanliness as saw fuel was Shell series 3 diesel engine oil.

Last edited:

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use mobil 1 and change it once or twice per year. Almost 300k on two vehicles, 200k on another, but it hit a deer and got retired (the motor was still in a1 condition)

I use tall timber 50:1 in my saws and they love it.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do tale. I tore my saws down and never had gummy till I used Klotz. I might be able to find pics.
Very tacky, had a newer 455 here that was ran on Husky xp mix and the ring was almost stuck. It lubes just fine but it's gummy/tacky. The cheap husky oil they sell at Lowe's is better IMHO. Now the new xp oil I have no clue, but my guess/hope is they addressed the issue.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2 wheels or 4? I figured it'd be a good 4 wheel oil. Bob is the oil guy reports are seemingly favorable according to the fan boys.
Sorry. Should have specified it was in my Duramax motor. I know several guys that got less than favorable UOAs with Rotella.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the question of the day... Shell Rotella T6 for a motorcycle. Hottest topic on any group/forum chat related to 2 wheels. I've tried it and have my own opinion. Whatcha think?
I cannot see an oil designed for diesel truck use having the same anti-sheer package as a dedicated moto-specific one.

T6 is the synthetic correct? Sheer is great on most diesel oils as they get worked real hard in injectors in the Ford Diesel’s up to the 6.0. Most are 15w40 or 5w40 spread on their viscosity already.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rotella does not use a pure synthetic base stock oil to start off with like Mobil 1.

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty sure Castrol has produced OEM Stihl labeled oil in Aus for decades. Normally you would find a small Castrol logo on the back of the bottle.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty sure Castrol has produced OEM Stihl labeled oil in Aus for decades. Normally you would find a small Castrol logo on the back of the bottle.
Correct CR,
Stihl has always used Castrol as a supplier for their mix .
Extra protection for Australia's heat and hardwood.....protection for Canada's cold and demanding loggers.:D

Last edited:

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never had a uoa done on rotella. My dad swares by it. Had several tractors trucks and semis go very long tine with it. The shop i work at uses golf syn blend 15w40 bulk oil. Some of our customers go up to 50k on pms and see acceptable to them UOA. Myself wouldnt go that long no matter what oil i used though. @RI Chevy what were you seeing in your UOAs that you didnt like with the t6? Also what happens at the injectors that is so rough on the oil on the 6.0 fords?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen Rotella work. Ready-Mix trucks, dump trucks, dozers, backhoes, loaders... we never had a failure of any sort in 25 years. But mobil one on the other hand, I've been into Chevy 350s where carbon was caked under the intake manifold an inch thick. My own truck. Run on mobil one from day one. Sometimes old school is better