High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What oil is best? and what ratio?

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
6:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've read about a 10,000rpm limit on some Klotz oils according to them. I figured it was due to too high of viscosity not able to get in tight places that move too quickly.

Can oil or any fluid become effectively more viscous when moved faster? If you know what I mean.
There are or were differentials called viscus limited slip diffs. They had a series of metal clutch plates splined to the input and alternate clutch plates splined to the output. These were enclosed in a housing where they were in a special viscus fluid. Basically at low shear the fluid remains liquid but as the speed difference between the input plates and the output plates became greater that fluid started transfering torque to the output because of its viscus properties. That's the extent of my knowledge on the subject lol.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, and I didn't know if those properties are found in some engine oils at high speed. In my limited experience, I would say yes, but I do not know the curve of the resistance increase vs speed.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes, and I didn't know if those properties are found in some engine oils at high speed. In my limited experience, I would say yes, but I do not know the curve of the resistance increase vs speed.
We are definitely talking about things outside my knowledge now but, I would think that every fluid, oil included, will have an increased resistance to speed of moving parts as that speed increases. I would also bet the higher the at rest viscosity of a given lubricant, the more frictional losses you would see at higher speeds vs a thinner viscosity lubricant. Maybe friction isn't the correct terminology for drag associated with the viscosity of oils but I think you get my point. Think of a remote control car with varying weights of silicone diff fluid. The thicker it is the more resistance there is against movement. At slow speeds you can turn easily without the tires scrubbing, dragging ect but hammer down and the thicker the diff fluid the more of a locking effect they have.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's skin effect too or something like that, like how planes experience greater drag above the speed of sound because the air molecules touching the surface begin sliding quickly across the surface.

One reason I prefer a garden hose jet spray to clean cylinders after porting instead of compressed air; the water gets 99% of the grit out, but the air leaves behind a lot of dust because of the boundary layer or skin effect. Plus I'm not breathing the metal dust blown around if its sprayed out with water.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There's skin effect too or something like that, like how planes experience greater drag above the speed of sound because the air molecules touching the surface begin sliding quickly across the surface.

One reason I prefer a garden hose jet spray to clean cylinders after porting instead of compressed air; the water gets 99% of the grit out, but the air leaves behind a lot of dust because of the boundary layer or skin effect. Plus I'm not breathing the metal dust blown around if its sprayed out with water.
I washed the couple I did too. Not because of what you described, just figured it would work better.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went and ran my 026 today. Put 2 tanks through it doing a side job. Got home, pulled muff cover, looked great inside jug and on piston skirt. Exhaust port looked clean. Slightly oily inside muff cover. Pulled the plug, golden brown. What's better than that? I'll take slightly oily muff cover for those results. Mix is at 36:1 running VP SEF canned fuel.
Touched up the chain, cleaned out the bar rails, ready for more.
I think I will go back to straight 40:1 for regular cutting.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We're going to have to put you in charge of the PISS REV MAFIA club.
Lol

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went and ran my 026 today. Put 2 tanks through it doing a side job. Got home, pulled muff cover, looked great inside jug and on piston skirt. Exhaust port looked clean. Slightly oily inside muff cover. Pulled the plug, golden brown. What's better than that? I'll take slightly oily muff cover for those results. Mix is at 36:1 running VP SEF canned fuel.
Touched up the chain, cleaned out the bar rails, ready for more.
I think I will go back to straight 40:1 for regular cutting.
As a husky guy. I respect the 026. I like them little fuggers

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rule Number One. To thine own self be true.

In other words, use whatever works for you. Just because someone else finds fault with it, that shouldn't cause a defensive reaction in us.....but it usually does. We are just human after all.
Best statement I've read in this thread

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yamalube is good oil too. It just didn't do well in extreme ratio testing. Will your saw blow up on Yamalube? Of course not. It's fine.

Now......why did I start using Yamalube? Because Ben Walker was so set on it. See how that works? LOL

Remember when I was using Belray H1R? Redbull661 proved to me that it was robbing my saws of quite a lot of power. But.....I still recommend it for a milling saw.

I'm apt to change again. I'm not at all closed minded.....and am willing to try stuff that other's are having good experiences with.
Awesome!!

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad the XP+ tested well. I've been using it all year long now because it's the cheapest FD rated oil that's available locally. Most importantly, it doesn't have a nasty exhaust smell.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad the XP+ tested well. I've been using it all year long now because it's the cheapest FD rated oil that's available locally. Most importantly, it doesn't have a nasty exhaust smell.
I put over 300 hours on a 572 using it. Not a guess on the hours either, I computer verified it. Lot of guys severely overestimate the hours they put on a saw. Takes a long time to put 300 hours on a saw. Good oil.