Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Said Dolmar is a 421, and yes....it’s still running

Bloody Hell, I can understand running canola oil on the bar, but not in the engine. Even castor oil with automotive additives will start gumming things up. Using canola without the additives, Crikey, keep us advised.

I've known guys that have run ATF, chain lube and STP oil additive to finish a motorcycle race, but never on a long term basis.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran a few tanks through that saw at Sondre's house. Bar was buried in hard red oak and cuts were all WOT. Saw ran and performed flawlessly. You really gotta see it to believe it.
Pretty cool actually. Lol

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I calculated out the ratio in that saw not too long ago. 480 ml tank and the cap holds 3ml. Comes out to 160:1 ratio. Still looks great inside. Haven’t ran it in a little bit now, but I check it after every time I run it, just to see if it gets any worse.
It’s a Dolmar 420, and I run the same bar and chain I always run on my other ones. It’s not tuned any differently either. Trying to keep it consistent with the others.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For real though...anyone do any "testing" or extended use with Supertech synthetic? It is blue! Lol, I've used a couple gallons at 40:1 in trimmers and some cheaper saws. Seemed ok but I never tore anything down that was running it or done any extensive testing. But it's cheap and easy to get...i'd use it over still ultra.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For real though...anyone do any "testing" or extended use with Supertech synthetic? It is blue! Lol, I've used a couple gallons at 40:1 in trimmers and some cheaper saws. Seemed ok but I never tore anything down that was running it or done any extensive testing. But it's cheap and easy to get...i'd use it over still ultra.

I've used it in the past and my experience has been the exact same as yours. And of course anything over Stihl Ultra.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s been tested. Performed better than 5 or 6 more popular oils

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the newest oil I'm going to try once I run out of my VP. I got it for 2 bucks a quart on clearance at Walmart. It's made by Citgo for Mercury Marine and it says it's FD rated. It smells an awful lot like Yamalube 2R.
Edited to add that it's purple.
PXL_20201204_215148897.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20201204_215201517.NIGHT.jpg

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the newest oil I'm going to try once I run out of my VP. I got it for 2 bucks a quart on clearance at Walmart. It's made by Citgo for Mercury Marine and it says it's FD rated. It smells an awful lot like Yamalube 2R.
Edited to add that it's purple.
View attachment 270331 View attachment 270332
I’ve used it. I think it’s a great oil

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't use oil that's made for a boat engine. They run cooler(water cooled) v/s air cooled. But, that's just my opinion.
The Quicksilver posted above isn’t made for a boat engine. It’s made for personal watercraft. It has the FD certification on the back of the jug. No idea why an outboard engine and PWC require different oils.

iamsham78

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been running VP gas with motul 800 2T @ 40:1 with a snort of maxima hi-test booster in everything for over a year now. [emoji3061]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No idea why an outboard engine and PWC require different oils.

It may be due to different expected temperature ranges, but I'm no expert on this stuff.

I have heard that many of the marine oils are intended to operate at cooler temps than chainsaws (due to water cooling).

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never used it, but I have heard that bear grease is the best grease for frying food. Does anybody have any information as to using bear grease to fry foods?