What oil is best? and what ratio?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
10:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve seen 650* plus on cylinder fins on a saw after a milling cut. That’s the highest temp stick I had available to check it with and it melted instantly to liquid.

If I had time and a helper I’d consider torture testing some saws at higher ratios. The results would be skewed unless you clean the oil out of the case from running 20-32:1. Some 880s have died at 50:1 in short order from new milling so I wouldn’t expect some to last more than a cut at 100:1. An 8-10’ long cut with a 70cc saw in 18” wide wood takes about 45-60 seconds a foot to cut.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
7:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have about 40 hrs on a 660 milling at 50 to 1 with saber ,piston is damp every so often when i check and muffler is dry ,its in the tuning when milling ,tuned at 12800 and seems fine,keep the chain sharp ,a dull chain will kill a saw before oil mix will.

homeheater

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What we need is someone with a mill to conduct the same type testing I'm doing on cheap saws at lean ratios and post the results so we have that "side by side" comparison. I've never done this before so all the results are surprising and fascinating to me. Any takers on the trashing 6-10 saws on their mill for the good of the collective? I'm very interested in seeing the differences between oil performance in a heavily loaded saw vs what I'm doing. 9 hrs each ratio is kinda the base line. Bigger engines use more fuel so I'd think you will have to go hours to hours not gallon to gallon. Just a thought. Carry on gents. Enjoy your day.
Since I like saws I would have to unsubscribe to this if it was to change to trying to trash some.

Ron660

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s pretty simple. Saws usually run at hotter temperatures and higher rpms. Loading a weedwacker is actually being easier on it than running it with no string. It will just carbon up faster. No string is like running a dull chain on a chainsaw. Speaking from experience here watching idiots blow up a weedwacker on a landscaping crew with 1” string sticking out. Lol
Plus a lot more HP - rpms & torque. Same as a chainsaw can't duplicate the stress on oil, less HP, like a dirt bike.

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’ve seen 650* plus on cylinder fins on a saw after a milling cut. That’s the highest temp stick I had available to check it with and it melted instantly to liquid.

If I had time and a helper I’d consider torture testing some saws at higher ratios. The results would be skewed unless you clean the oil out of the case from running 20-32:1. Some 880s have died at 50:1 in short order from new milling so I wouldn’t expect some to last more than a cut at 100:1. An 8-10’ long cut with a 70cc saw in 18” wide wood takes about 45-60 seconds a foot to cut.

Would 50:1 have killed them if the muffler was breathing and they had a good tune ? Idk ?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does a piston/cylinder in a dirtbike vs a weedeater require different temperatures to produce galling? Im not sure?
I wouldn’t think so. Aluminum needs to melt either way.

It doesn’t really matter anyway. I’m sure he never said he was trying to find out what the best chainsaw oil is. All Eggshooter wanted to do was find out which one could run the leanest on a Weedwhacker