What oil is best? and what ratio?

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 120487

Here is a screenshot I took off the RP website.....I see what you mean about the tcw3 rating but it also says it's recommended for chainsaws and other outdoor power equipment. I figured everybody has been talking about the Schaeffer's oil and was wondering about this stuff. Someone asked me if I wanted a quart they had in their shop because they didn't use 2 cycle oil anymore since they bought their new 4 cycle trimmer
Schaeffers and Royal Purple are both boat oils. The OPE OEM'S say not to use marine oils and for good reason.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Troof, 32:1 will make the saw run leaner than 50:1
Because 32 to 1 is thicker in viscosity so goes through the jets slower put a straw in a milkshake and one in a pepsi ,which one will flow through the straw faster ? Same with mix ,the thicker mix cant get through the jet as fast so it leans out , so another question ? Which burns cooler ? 50 to 1 or 32 to 1 ?

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ring belt deposits are the main issue. Tcw3 oils do not use detergents, because detergant additives are mettalic based. Mettalic based additives lead to plug fouling and pre ignition causing deposits on the nead and crwon when operated in steady throttle and load conditions like a boat motor is.
Instead they use nitrogen based dispersent technology. The problem is dispersent technology isnt effective over a ring belt temp of around 275 degrees. This will lead tonring sticking, excessive wear, etc.
For more info see:
TWO-CYCLE ENGINE LUBRICANTS
David J. Pardo - Director of Technical Services
GOA Company (North Coast Oil, Inc.)
May 1, 1997

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Because 32 to 1 is thicker in viscosity so goes through the jets slower put a straw in a milkshake and one in a pepsi ,which one will flow through the straw faster ? Same with mix ,the thicker mix cant get through the jet as fast so it leans out , so another question ? Which burns cooler ? 50 to 1 or 32 to 1 ?
I have personally seen the opposite, a slight drop in idle and top end rpm. While in theory more oil should mean less fuel, however keep in mind some of the oil does burn and it does change the combustion properties of the fuel. Not sure I buy there will be a discernible difference in viscosity between fuel mixed a 50:1 vs 32:1 that is a stretch IMHO. Now one time I did in fact see an increase in rpm's was with Klotz super techniplate and Maxima 927. Was it the castor? drop in friction? I don't know, but it did have an effect.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have personally seen the opposite, a slight drop in idle and top end rpm. While in theory more oil should mean less fuel, however keep in mind some of the oil does burn and it does change the combustion properties of the fuel. Not sure I buy there will be a discernible difference in viscosity between fuel mixed a 50:1 vs 32:1 that is a stretch IMHO. Now one time I did in fact see an increase in rpm's was with Klotz super techniplate and Maxima 927. Was it the castor? drop in friction? I don't know, but it did have an effect.
Different people/saws/gas can have different affects

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Different people/saws/gas can have different affects

Correct. Then again I've seen it wither other peoples saws, fuel and oil. I'm just trying to say, not every theory works as it should when applied. A fuels viscosity change between 50:1 and 32:1 will be so minuscule I don't see it having a noticeable effect. Maybe with a super thick oil like R50 in really cold temperatures, but that's still a bit of stretch IMHO. If we were talking say R50 @ 16:1 vs 70:1 we may have something.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
All oils are not the same. Some have negative effects on combustion and some dont.
If your seeing alot of variance in tuning when moving ratios thats a sign that the oil does effect combustion negatively.
When you really think about it the differance in fuel flow when switching from 32 to 50:1 is pretty slight. A ten degree swing in temp would likely have more of an effect on A/F ratio.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone tried the different mix ratios in a saw that tunes out over 15k yet ? In my 440 hybrid it raised the rpm from 15200 to 15800 going from 40 to 1 to 32 to 1 ,oil was amsoil sabre cutting firewood ,i went back to 40 to 1 after the 1.25 gallon can was used up and the rpms went back down to 15200 ,i have a little tach on my saw so i can watch max rpms is only reason i noticed the difference .Different saws could have different results ,lot of variables in this stuff .

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The oil must be noticeable ,when i switched from mobil 1 to the saber i dumped the leftover mobil 1 in my lawnmower ,it ran like crap till it was all gone and strait gas again ,i would have never thought the mower would notice some mix in it .

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the different mix ratios in a saw that tunes out over 15k yet ? In my 440 hybrid it raised the rpm from 15200 to 15800 going from 40 to 1 to 32 to 1 ,oil was amsoil sabre cutting firewood ,i went back to 40 to 1 after the 1.25 gallon can was used up and the rpms went back down to 15200 ,i have a little tach on my saw so i can watch max rpms is only reason i noticed the difference .Different saws could have different results ,lot of variables in this stuff .
Yes, quit a bit. Never noticed mich differance with the oils I used.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Different oil would throw my ported 346 way all over the place. Drastically