What? No bandsaw milling threads?

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
4:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For those of you that buy single to a few logs from individuals, how do you settle on a price? Do you try to estimate the board feet in which you may get from a particular tree and go from there? I just bought a single fallen red oak from a fella up the road for a $100. I'm guessing that I'll get about 700 bf out of that particular tree. Was that a reasonable price to pay? The way I see it is that even if I'm way off in my estimate I'll still have great firewood with what's not millable.
1000003179.jpg

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
3:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For those of you that buy single to a few logs from individuals, how do you settle on a price? Do you try to estimate the board feet in which you may get from a particular tree and go from there? I just bought a single fallen red oak from a fella up the road for a $100. I'm guessing that I'll get about 700 bf out of that particular tree. Was that a reasonable price to pay? The way I see it is that even if I'm way off in my estimate I'll still have great firewood with what's not millable.
View attachment 411252
That’s fair to high for what Red Oak is selling for at the mills around me right now. I’d say you did OK, and didn’t get taken. But I wouldn’t pay more than that for a tree of that size.

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I pretty much don't pay for logs because there is so much to be had just for the removal.....at least thats how it is around here.
My advice is definitely don't pay anything for logs unless they are prime sawlogs.

That one you have there certainly looks like a nice log in the pics so you'll probably do fine.

Most likely, over time as folks discover you have a mill, you will find lots of great opportunities for low cost or free logs.....that has been my experience many times over.

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s fair to high for what Red Oak is selling for at the mills around me right now. I’d say you did OK, and didn’t get taken. But I wouldn’t pay more than that for a tree of that size.
I sort of thought it was a bit high but he's only 1.5 miles from the house and has one more larger oak he said I could get as well. However, it's in a precarious position. I also spotted a culvert in the weeds I'd like to take off of his hands, so I'm hoping this is a foot in the door to dicker on other stuff. PXL_20240309_195844800.jpg

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sort of thought it was a bit high but he's only 1.5 miles from the house and has one more larger oak he said I could get as well. However, it's in a precarious position. I also spotted a culvert in the weeds I'd like to take off of his hands, so I'm hoping this is a foot in the door to dicker on other stuff.
You actually did really good if there’s actually 700 bd ft of saw-able lumber in that tree. You basically paid .15 a ft for it. I averaged .61/ft on my last log sale - so you took that tree cheap.

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I gotta get started on a 700 sq ft house package. What are you guys working on?
What type of woods are you going to use?

I'm currently trying to get a bunch of logs sawed up before the bugs & mold start up too bad.

Also have a couple 16' oak trailer decking orders, and some 3/8" oak trim boards.

Got a batch of sycamore to cut first thing.
20240319_181306.jpg20240318_152048.jpg

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
White and yellow pine for framing, poplar for siding, and hemlock for the covered porches.
All easy sawing stuff..... assuming eastern hemlock saws nicely?... west coast hemlock cuts like butter. 👍

Lots of pics, or it never happened....😉

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All easy sawing stuff..... assuming eastern hemlock saws nicely?... west coast hemlock cuts like butter. 👍

Lots of pics, or it never happened....😉
Hemlock is weird. Saws like yellow pine.....but dries hard as hell.

I'll be sure and post pics. First we have to do site work, septic layout and approval, foundation, etc.

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm looking to build a cabin out in the woods for the boys (11 & 9) to use this summer. I have hemlock and poplar blow down to go harvest for it. I'm thinking 12' x 12' with sleeping loft up in the rafter space for them and the cousins.
That'll be a fun project, are you going to have your boys help build it?

Fleethirte

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Fleethirte

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i saw in here previously that someone was using the wood mizer blades.

so far i have only used the woodland blades.

are the mizers better? i think they are are actually cheaper then the woodland.