Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
12:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
only the 2x4s. Didn’t Have the mill when I started the framing.

I helped my father in law saw some wood today. he was pushing that mill so fast he made the blade stop and the belt slip.
It’s his mill so I didn’t know how to tell him, but the second time he made the belt slip I’m like hey you got to slow down….
Gotta let it cut.....I listen to the blade and the engine to keep it in the sweet spot.

In other news, we cut a bit of dinky cedar yesterday. 20240221_093539.jpg20240221_084955.jpg20240221_103554.jpg

Fleethirte

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only did pine.
i had a fresh cut log 15 inches wide and 10
feet long.

my father in law had some older pine logs I cut down about a year ago. they were a little smaller but same length.

JIMG

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guys always want more power!👍
My mill is only 10 horse electric motor and it's hard to stall with a sharp band on it. I rarely wish for more power. It is only a hobby push mill, though. Might be a different story if I was trying to earn my living with a mill.
I do believe electric also has a certain power band that is wider than a gas engine.

Reactions: Lnk

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My mill is only 10 horse electric motor and it's hard to stall with a sharp band on it. I rarely wish for more power. It is only a hobby push mill, though. Might be a different story if I was trying to earn my living with a mill.
I do believe electric also has a certain power band that is wider than a gas engine.
Trying to earn a living with a mill is a whole different ballgame, believe me.....it's never big enough or fast enough.

I believe a 10hp electric motor would perform about like a 20 hp gas engine, so that would be pretty good for a manual push mill.

I'd love to go electric, but I have to be portable so that's not an option.

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First time milling white pine.
Without a lube system everything gums up very quickly. I think I will stick with hemlock until I get the lube setup made.

View attachment 409424
Pine is very goopy.
I run about 1/4 cup of powdered laundry soap to 5 gallons of water anytime I'm sawing pine, & it really helps to cut the pitch.
Diesel also works very well, I keep a spray bottle of diesel handy and blast the blade if it gets too bad.

Sawdust Man

Manufacturer of Sawdust
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 409346
milling a slab today!
my youngest sons first legitament word was chainsaw.
That's a nice chunk of wood! what is it?
I'm needing to get a chainsaw mill setup for oversized logs, I keep getting requests to slab out 4' & 5' logs.
Back in the late 80s my older brothers and I milled all the lumber for a 1,100 sq ft house with a csm....that's a ton of work.