High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What drives guys to wanting many chainsaws ?

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
5:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
It's not that you "want" so many saws, it's that you "need" them. Five might not start, five could get pinched, five could be dull, or you could be testing different oils with each saw. Anyone should understand.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a spreadsheet I keep on saws that I buy and sell. I keep track of the saw brand and model, price paid, cost of parts, and if I sell it, the price sold for. And I even have a line for profit/loss. So on my spreadsheet I currently show 56 saws. Some of these will probably never become runners, I have a group of old Homelites that aren't inventoried, and I really don't know how many running saws I have but probably a dozen to fifteen or so at any one time. Well, maybe a few more than that... I have been thinning out a bit in the last year or so and will continue to do so. I don't do that much tree work anymore and do less cutting in general than in the past.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess the question is, How many is to many, For me there is no limit.
As i'm into the vintage muscles saws and have most of what i want i now
find myself buying saws i turned away years ago including two man saws
and odd very unusual and not so common models. With north of 500 saws
now in the collection i'm still looking for specific saws. But like i tell my
girl friend and kids, It's better than blowing my money in a bar room.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the 'golf club' analogy by Philbert. One does need saws in different displacements, pole saws etc. But that would limit you to maybe five or so saws so why do some of us have so many more? Its not 'need' when you pass the 5 number.....its about 'wants' & the need to fulfill those wants. Let's face it saws are fun, loud, dangerous, pretty & powerfull & highly useful. Vintage ones even more so, they are fairly cheap, can keep your house warm there are near all positives when it comes to chainsaws as a hobby compared to other things that compare. The internet has also kinda supercharged ones capacity to be a player in the game. Not many motorised sports can one have their toy posted to them in a small postage box. Its all to darn good.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
4:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I got the answer for you Brian .... Cause they are much cheaper than cars!!!! I'm on Mustang # 10, and I used to have 3 at a time (2 68 GTs, and a 70 Boss) all fastbacks w/4 speeds.

But the chainsaws don't need insurance, registration, annual inspections, or much garage space, they are perfect!

Now, the other reason for many ... Well, we need different sizes for different things, and then a backup, and then a backup for the backup, and .....

OK - IT IS A DAMN ADDICTION - IT IS CAD - END OF STORY!!!!
YEAH but the saws leak oil like a chevy.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of my 'extra' saws are 'opportunity saws' - garage sales, etc., for parts, projects, etc.; 'can't pass it up at that price' saws; keeping them out of the scrap pile saws; 'maybe someone on one of the forums might want it' saws; a few 'gifted to me' saws; etc. . . . . If a new saw costs, say $500, and you can pick one up, and get it working for substantially less, it's hard to pass it up, even if you don't need it. Might need it someday as a back up. Might be able to flip it and put it toward a saw I really want. Some might just be fun to take apart (or cut in half!). Can always get rid of them later, but they probably won't be there if I pass them up . . .

Now chains! Chains take up even less room than saws!

Philbert

rocketnorton

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got lucky my first pro saw was a 346 my numbers are lower than others because of it.It leaves you wanting less.

first pro was 288, prolly my fav. had 2. one now, all new inside. 038s, close 2nd, been 2 o those here, too. never had a mag.

Or a Harley!!!!!!!!

ahem... perdy oil tight since iron jugs disappeared. only took em 80 years.... hi, lee.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
first pro was 288, prolly my fav. had 2. one now, all new inside. 038s, close 2nd, been 2 o those here, too. never had a mag.

ahem... perdy oil tight since iron jugs disappeared. only took em 80 years.... hi, lee.
I'm not certain if the cast iron engines disappearing or the use of Loctite 5900 in place of gaskets made the oil leaks go away .Not just on Harleys, just about everything .