High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Went Kinetic over hydro splitter

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
11:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I thought about taking off the undercarriage and mounting it to a smaller road-going trailer like at Lowes... If I could make a roller rail system where it could slide out and/or rotate as needed for usage then slide back in and lock in place for transport. I'd have to draw out the design in my head but I think it would work well...

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a shame you have to alter the SS to make it more useable. Why SS does not make it "towable" without modifications is beyond me. I do not understand why they don't widen the wheel base and lower the motor, not to mention the stationary base plate and ridiculous hitch set up. If you never have to tow the SS then I guess it is a perfect machine.

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't tow it far and if I did I would put it on one of my trailers. I also asked for a higher than normal work platform and overall height, I'm not very tall but at 6'-3" I didn't want to bend at all. So I asked for a high machine and was advised it would be more top heavy.
I agree their are other towing options that would be better from the factory.
Having said that a lot of the splitters (including my MTD/yard machines) have a max towing speed of IIRC 35-45 mph. So towing them is also a challenge.

Last edited:

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would want true Highway towable, not "Road towable" speed... w/a an aforementioned reasonable work height for a 5'10"-6'5" individual, or some way to adjust to account for the differences as req'd.

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All makes sense. I was clearing the cover but stuff was building up fast.
After making an initial cut on the front or back (I tried both) I dropped the saw in the cut and cut flat.
I have watched that technique on many videos but I believe that's people showing the power of bigger saws or ported saws just tearing thru a round.
I am realizing keeping it off the dog face or buried allows more noodles out from the cover and rocking the bar makes it bothe easier on the saw and more productive all around.
Skip tooth for noodles is the best combo since bread and butter

Crane

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
IMG_4139.jpg

I waited two years to order a SSHD, but shortly before it came I had unexpected hernia surgery. For several months afterwards I could lift things, and I could lift the SS table, but not lift and push it, not even on concrete. It sat for some time and I thought of ways to move it easier.

Once I got to use it, the SSHD was everything others had said, as far as splitting. And having never seen one, that was a huge relief. But there is more to splitting than splitting, and I soon added the fork lift tubes, because I wanted it moved inside when not being used. My old hydraulic had a tarp over the engine for most of its thirty plus years here.

Adding wagon steering was one of those ideas from three years ago when I was healing. This winter it is a new mod, and being top heavy is a concern. Also, it needs a push bar added to back up by hand. Best part however, the tongue is on the proper end to back it up to the conveyor, instead of trying to pull it from the side.

Simple mod: Pulled the four bolts on the axle leg and moved it under the table. Bought another axle, wheels and tires from SuperSplit, go-kart spindles (go-kart parts found on-line), tie rod ends, steering plate and tongue came from Kory Farms or Primere Fabrication (?), and then had a guy fab it up with a side to side pivot on the leg for uneven ground. Bolts to the beam with existing bolts. Splitter can be returned to normal in an hours time, and eight bolts removed/replaced.

The tubes under the beam are a separate mod connected with one bolt in each leg. They are fork lift tubes, which I decided to keep. The wagon tongue un-pins.

I have not split anything with it since the mod. The weather and a conveyor mod from hand crank to hydraulic lift is in the works (hand crank sheared a pin inside). When that project is done, I'll find out pretty quickly how top heavy the SS is when towed. I wanted to keep the tires under the outfeed table when splitting and away from my feet to avoid leaning while working. Perhaps a sliding axle could be pinned in a wider stance when transporting. Obviously the mod is meant for the wood lot and not road use. However it will make it much, much easier to load on a trailer if need be.IMG_4080.jpgIMG_4063.jpg

Last edited:

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
+1 Thanks for the pics Crane! I may be looking at something like that depending on how I doo manually pushing around the S.E. S.S. that Dad and I are going to do. We'll see how it's weight coupled with cold weather and the 4 screws in my spine get along.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got to looking on Home Depots' site today for a couple of things and somehow, no idea because my search words had zero to do with it, it pulled up stuff and I noticed HD is now selling what appears to me to almost be a re-branded DR kinetic, sold under the name Power King. It's touted as a '34-ton' but really no specs listed as far as flywheel weights, etc. or maybe I just missed it. Anyhow, they got it listed for $1699 if I remember correctly.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That ought to be interesting for the uninitiated... I hope they hold up well.

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_0447.JPG This is why you buy a SuperSplit!
Soon you realize how you don't need your hydro so you load it on your trailer and sell it to a buddy.

Then you don't tell your buddy how you can load that same trailer in under 1.5 hours vs 4.

IMG_0446.JPG

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To add the buddy got a great deal and it helped me pay for the new to me CAD I have, as you can see my new to me 461/660 courtesy of Chipper1.

I may have my 362 up for sale soon, lol. Don't need to but I'm just wondering what I'm gonna use it for? I have a newly acquired Chainsaw HP addiction.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've only run a 362 a couple of times, but I owned an 361 and an 036. Still have the 036. After I bought my 460, I didn't use either of the 60cc saws much. I did some, just not a ton.

What I did use a lot was the 460 with a 20" bar and a 50cc saw with a 16". The big saws are super fun, but for dealing with limbs and tops or doing any thinning or pruning they just tire you out unnecessarily. If I could make a suggestion based on your lineup and the fact that you mentioned selling the 362, I'd say sell the 362 and buy something like a Dolmar 421/5105, Stihl 241/261, Husky 545/550. I think that a saw in that range would get a lot of use and would be substantially lighter than your other saws. Of course, you could buy older models or other brands also, I'm just listing the new options that I would consider first.

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've only run a 362 a couple of times, but I owned an 361 and an 036. Still have the 036. After I bought my 460, I didn't use either of the 60cc saws much. I did some, just not a ton.

What I did use a lot was the 460 with a 20" bar and a 50cc saw with a 16". The big saws are super fun, but for dealing with limbs and tops or doing any thinning or pruning they just tire you out unnecessarily. If I could make a suggestion based on your lineup and the fact that you mentioned selling the 362, I'd say sell the 362 and buy something like a Dolmar 421/5105, Stihl 241/261, Husky 545/550. I think that a saw in that range would get a lot of use and would be substantially lighter than your other saws. Of course, you could buy older models or other brands also, I'm just listing the new options that I would consider first.
Yeah I don't do a ton of limbing, VA has a ton of skinny tall trees with not many limbs till the top canopy.
I appreciate the input and maybe a little light saw with a small bar and great av is the way to go

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
5:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Managed too get a video of my Portek 7ton super split its a good splitter pretty fast the noise in the background is a petrol generator got no electric at the moment once I get it set up on a proper table then the logs can fall right in the trailer or log elevator

darkimpulse

Firewood Hack
Local time
1:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Managed too get a video of my Portek 7ton super split its a good splitter pretty fast the noise in the background is a petrol generator got no electric at the moment once I get it set up on a proper table then the logs can fall right in the trailer or log elevator

That splitter is pretty quick. Very nice. Never have used one yet always been hydrolic.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Neat set up. Id like to see the "handle" set up. Can't wrap my head around why the 2 handle set up.
Also you NEED a work table. Something to catch the falling splits off the wedge end. Yer back will thank you and think of all that time saved by NOT stopping to pick up all those splits

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
5:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Neat set up. Id like to see the "handle" set up. Can't wrap my head around why the 2 handle set up.
Also you NEED a work table. Something to catch the falling splits off the wedge end. Yer back will thank you and think of all that time saved by NOT stopping to pick up all those splits

Yes I was trying to get some type of table sorted cos when you get some good grain logs they go everywhere I will get a better shot of the handle set up

Over here everything has too be two handed on new equipment for safety reasons