High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Resolved Volunteer section? Or a thread or two?

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
7:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Storm cleanup such as Maui got my gears turning. I know @Philbert does that as well as organizations like Samaritan's Purse and Team Rubicon.

Other one is the guys who do firewood ministry. I'd like to be able to do or get behind these types of things.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
9:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are a variety of disaster response groups that use chainsaws.

Some are more formally organized than others, requiring training or evaluation, etc. Some are open to pretty much whoever shows up.

A number are faith-based, but many of these are open to volunteers of any faith, as long as they are respectful. Others, only work with their congregants.

Many different groups do many different things: sheltering, feeding, donations management, flood cleanup, rebuilding, etc.

Emergency Managers usually prefer to work with established groups: they want to avoid any additional headaches, from spontaneous, well-intentioned volunteers, so, it’s often best to affiliate with an established or recognized group.

They don’t know what your skill level or experience is, and don’t have time, during a response, to qualify you. And cutting storm damaged wood has its own set of challenges.

People interested in working with a group can try:

‘Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster’ (VOAD). This is ‘an organization of organizations’. Most states have a state VOAD organization as well.

Check with your county Emergency Manager to ask about any local opportunities or contacts.

If you identify with a specific religious group, ask if there is an affiliated disaster response organization.

Philbert

Last edited:

pastryguyhawaii

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@pastryguyhawaii @3browns You guys know what the deal is on Maui? Inclined to help but everyone seems real touchy from what I gather.
It does seem a bit touchy over there. Everything just seems to be taking a long time. It took two months to let homeowners back into Lahaina to check their properties. They are supposed to start cleaning up soon. I did see that a lot of people were cutting down good trees as a fire preventative & they are asking them not to. They are reopening for tourism in stages but a lot of the locals asked for a delay to get their lives in order first. Don’t blame them.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
7:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We went a few weeks ago. The rest of the island besides Lahaina is starving/begging for tourists to come back. Upcountry is trashed with trees.

Helo tour was cheap and they are doing two flights a day instead of 15, same for zip line.

exCanuck

FartKnockerForum System Admin
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Storm cleanup such as Maui got my gears turning. I know @Philbert does that as well as organizations like Samaritan's Purse and Team Rubicon.

Other one is the guys who do firewood ministry. I'd like to be able to do or get behind these types of things.
Tell me what y'all want and where it should be put. @Mastermind

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I’m the only one, yeah

We could prolly just have a thread for it

@ammoaddict ?

@huskihl I feel bad for not being able to remember the fella that cooked the good pie for your GTG from Ohio? That did firewood.

We have a small group of volunteers mostly from our church that cut firewood for the elderly and do storm cleanup in our area. They have gone to eastern NC to help with hurricane cleanup a couple times. I have donated a few saws to them when I can find decent ones for cheap that I can fix. Haven't been able to find any for a while though. I used to help some but since my back has gotten so much worse, I mostly just donate stuff when I can. It's a blessing to be able to help someone in need. I believe that's what God expects of us.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Worthwhile to have a volunteer thread to share thoughts, ideas, information:

- Storm cleanup
- Firewood ministries
- Helping seniors
- Community projects