I bought a STIHL....and I like it........I'm so ashamed

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would certainly be happy to run a 261 as my 50cc choice.....good anti vibe, good balance, great air filtration and good power. I really like its features and would pick it over a 260 any day. I didn't like cleaning the 260's filter after every tank of fuel.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a free 034 last year. After a heavy cleaning and some parts, I actually would love a built 036 and I was a Stihl hater.
You mean like this one?
Stihl 034--036.jpgToday I cut big logs with it that I then noodle cut in half for loading and splitting. It's an 034 AV that I rebuilt with an 036 top end. Original owner almost threw it away. I rate it almost dead even with my MS361.

Brown8417

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This whole thread speaks to the kind of great people that just love chainsaws. When I started on my saw collecting journey I got so much help from people on this site. You guys are all like a big family, there are some negative Nancy’s at times, but it takes all kinds to make the world go round. I can’t say enough about a lot of you… but a big Thanks

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Every time I see a Husky guy on his 10th pull without it firing I'm glad I own STIHL. 🤣

BUT, to be fair, @bradb123 let me run his ported Husky and I gotta say it's super light, insanely powerful, no real vibration, I did really enjoy running it.
10 pulls on a husky, never owned one of those. Many 3-4 first start, then 1 pull after that. Guy must not know how to tune or start his saw.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How is the 400 treating you?
Hate to admit it, but it’s a fine saw. As you have probably noticed I can nitpick anything. Only on third tank, but surprised I can lean on it, cutting 20”+ red oak is a breeze. You did a great job and have changed me into liking two brands, each has pros and cons. Glad I purchased it, sold my 572. Never thought weight was an issue, but turning 70 has changed things. Lighter with power is now a plus. A+ Sir! Thanks!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hate to admit it, but it’s a fine saw. As you have probably noticed I can nitpick anything. Only on third tank, but surprised I can lean on it, cutting 20”+ red oak is a breeze. You did a great job and have changed me into liking two brands, each has pros and cons. Glad I purchased it, sold my 572. Never thought weight was an issue, but turning 70 has changed things. Lighter with power is now a plus. A+ Sir! Thanks!
I wish I could take all the credit Rex. Stihl's engineering dept deserves the bulk of the praise though. The MS400 is truly a remarkable product.

Brad Krause

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish I could take all the credit Rex. Stihl's engineering dept deserves the bulk of the praise though. The MS400 is truly a remarkable product.
I really happen to like the MS 400, it's a light and powerful saw. What can be expected from a rational port job for a woods saw (given I understand you don't do race saws and focus instead on working saws)?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really happen to like the MS 400, it's a light and powerful saw. What can be expected from a rational port job for a woods saw (given I understand you don't do race saws and focus instead on working saws)?
About 30% faster than a stock saw in the same size wood.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know you are not like that, but just don’t tell anyone it’s not all you. :smilie-devil:

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m also a big fan of my 400, oiler is kind of stingy in the dead ash but that’s the closest thing to a complaint I have. However brand loyalty doesn’t matter to me, if it’s a good product I don’t care the name or colour

Brad Krause

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m also a big fan of my 400, oiler is kind of stingy in the dead ash but that’s the closest thing to a complaint I have. However brand loyalty doesn’t matter to me, if it’s a good product I don’t care the name or colour
If you run the chain through your fingers is it oily? STIHL chain has this "unusual" feed system they keep developing that uses less oil due to how it picks it out of the bar groove and oils the pins and bar rails. I've seen a few variations over time and it seems to work (for me, at least). I'm also not leaning on the bar in a cut, I have different chains filed for different aggressiveness depending on the wood.

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just found excessive chain stretch after break in using a 25” bar with Stihl RS (all I run). I switched to winter grade oil figuring it’d push in the links better and that seems to have stopped any issues.
I don’t file chains grabby, makes for an unhappy saw in my experience