I bought a STIHL....and I like it........I'm so ashamed

taplinhill

Hiding behind the Chainsaws
Local time
6:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay, so technically I didn't buy it, but my friend did and I told her to. Her family owns about 450 acres of which 90% is wooded and my family owns about 200 acres of which 75% is wooded and we had both become the unpaid minion caretakers of our respective lots. So I help her and she helps me. She has a bad shoulder and I have a bad back. I am overweight and I'm pretty sure I have saws that weigh more than she does.

Bare with me here I am getting to the saw. I have 80ish saws of which 50 are vintage and most are Jonsereds/Husqvarna. She had one, yes one, saw. I didn't even know such people existed. Her lone wolf is
a well used 026 pro that her father had bought new. She loves the saw, and I have grown fond of it as well and actually stumbled into two more. I have been in a constant downsizing of my work saws as my back gets older, so my days of using a 670 or 2171 all day are behind me. So I have settled into the 2153/346 saws as my "go-to".

So she has her 026 pro and I usually leave her a 272xp (she likes them) and some of my 50cc fleet as well. Here is where the story takes a tragic turn. In late June, I assume a can of bad fuel wiped out her 026 pro, both of my 026 pro's, the 272xp and several of my 2153's (guess what I'm doing this winter!). The timing was horrible. She was trying to get the landing she uses for firewood cleaned up because their logger needed it to do a planned cut per the forestry plan. She decided she needed a new saw. I agreed.

But what saw? She needed a decompression valve because of her shoulder. She wanted something close to the size and weight of her 026. It had to be a pro saw and it had to be dependable. We looked at Echo, RedMax, Husqvarna, Makita, but nothing really stood out. The big problem is none of the Stihl dealers near us carry much in the pro line. She looked online and thought the MS241C-M was just the ticket, but wasn't sure. I told her we might not be able to find one, as we all know they are getting scarce.

So one hot day in late July we began our hour plus drive to get to a real Stihl dealer and low and behold they had a 241 on the shelf, but right next to it was the MS261C-M. She handled them both and couldn't decide. I mentioned that the 261 would use the same bar and chain as her 026. "Done!" The deal was made and the little creamsicle came home. We both ran it the first day and were impressed at the power and balance. I told her it might "wake up" a bit as it broke in and she said after about 10 tanks she noticed a difference. It now has about 25-30 tanks and I ran it for the second time. For a stock 50cc saw it is impressive. This is the first mtronic saw I have run and like the AutoTune, it is right on the money. Initial start is 3 pulls, hot start is one. The A/V is good.

Its only been a month so time will tell if this is a good saw. She really likes it, probably even better than her 026 pro, but she won't admit it. Ramble over.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would love to have a 261cm! How did a can of bad fuel wipe out so many saws? Oh... you mix your own gas/oil and you mean you got bad gasoline? I was thinking can of premix when you said 'can.' You figure water in the gas or what? What did it do to your saws? That's terrible! The agony!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm kinda envious, I need a friend like that! o_O

A female friend running chainsaws - nirvana. :thumbup:

OK, she fried a couple - but You have 70ish more. :p

Good for You, make sure she stays safe handling chainsaws. :)

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 261's are nice saws. I had one for awhile but sold it when a stihl lover offered me more for it then what I bought it for(crazy Stihl guys). I liked it but it didn't do anything my 2152 or Dolmar 5105 wouldn't do so.....

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

taplinhill

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would love to have a 261cm! How did a can of bad fuel wipe out so many saws? Oh... you mix your own gas/oil and you mean you got bad gasoline? I was thinking can of premix when you said 'can.' You figure water in the gas or what? What did it do to your saws? That's terrible! The agony!

I'm not really sure. They just started acting up so we just grabbed the next saw, when I was on saw three I stopped and she came back with the only one that stopped running, but the others all have light scoring and reduced compression. I dumped all the saws and the can, got fresh fuel and proceeded with caution and haven't had a problem since.

So where are these 2171s for sale at?

One is at her place. The mint one is on the top shelf in my cellar. My nephews bought the others. I still use them just not for very long.

Fix the 026 and give it back to her, it would certainly be an apreciated gesture. :)

Don't worry, I've already got my orders..............and she will appreciate it.

taplinhill

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
this thread sounds so much more like a Hallmark movie then a "Saw" post...all we need is a few horses...maybe some moonlight boating trips on the lake...a little wine and boom !!!!! we got a movie !!!!

good luck with the 261cm and the "neighbor" ;)....

I think this Hallmark has given you a false impression of rural Vermont.
1. We don't need horses, we have tractors.
2. We don't live near a lake.
3. If the moon is out, we are usually fast asleep, unless we're fixing something.

taplinhill

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get the 261cm ported and you'll be in heaven! They really wake up! Same with the 026/260s.

I am guessing maybe you straight gassed all the saws?

I never did figure it out, but the gas did have oil in it. I am wondering if they can only had about half as much oil as it should have, so if it was mixed at 50:1, it really had 100:1. Not sure, poop happens sometimes I guess. I'm just glad they were all well used modern saws, nothing new or vintage.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think this Hallmark has given you a false impression of rural Vermont.
1. We don't need horses, we have tractors.
2. We don't live near a lake.
3. If the moon is out, we are usually fast asleep, unless we're fixing something.

So you trying to tell us you got to sleep by 7pm in the winter lol.

taplinhill

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a free 034 last year. After a heavy cleaning and some parts, I actually would love a built 036 and I was a Stihl hater.

I was never a hater, Stihl was just not around here. Jonsered was king, Husqvarna was next and that was it. You literally had to drive past 4 Jred dealers to get to a Stihl dealer. So with no local support and no internet support, it just made sense to stick with Jonsered. Now things are different. Every hardware store around here has Stihl now and the Husky dealers aren't as close as they use to be.

taplinhill

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you trying to tell us you got to sleep by 7pm in the winter lol.

No, but the lake would be froze over..................
and in December it's dark at 4:30......................
and so what if I do go to bed at 7........................
I'm a Vermontah, I do what I wantah.................