High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Ultrasonic cleaner for carbs?

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
What is the best cleaner to use for carburetors to get them clean and not damage the aluminum and brass? Or should I phrase it what do you use?

Warped5

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the large USC from HF (has heat) and use Simple Green in it. One part SG to 3 parts water.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have a usc from hf with heat and i use pine sol and water

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
HF USC. Dawn dishwashing detergent and filtered water.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had one from hf but it got water inside the plastic and fried it. So I had to order me a new one from the bay. I have been using la awesome cleaner. However it tends to fade plastics. Looking for something better in the future.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard Pine Sol is great.

I use purple power.

Mine just fried. I have a 10L on the way now.

I toss and electric charcoal starter in mine so I dont have to wait 2 hours for it to heat up.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How much did that cost btw. I was cheap, but maybe I shouldn't have been, we will find out later this week

Evanrude

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the harbor freight one I bought a few years ago on sale. When cleaning carbs, I fill the USC with water and put the solution in a jar with the parts. I then simply place the jar in the water. This is how I use my USC, larger parts get the parts washer with Water/Oil Eaters in it. Doing the indirect method on small parts is the way to go for me, uses much less solution and I don't have to mess with cleaning out the USC.

Oh and on carbs I use Seafoam.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a HF one and then I found a used medical one on eBay. It's a little smaller than the HF one, but for carbs that doesn't matter.

I use straight WD-40

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much did that cost btw. I was cheap, but maybe I shouldn't have been, we will find out later this week

I bought cheap first, $140 for a 6L.

This Time I went name brand. Was $320 for a 10L.

So i threw away $140 on the first one.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Evanrude

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For those that use the green or purple stuff, does it affect the magnesium or aluminum at all? I've used SG on some parts, but never mag or aluminum as I heard it's corrosive on them.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I always use a jar when I clean carbs, I usually use premix but I know there are better options. In the future I will try the seafoam. And I agree buy cheap buy twice, but sometimes all you can afford is the cheapest option.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
For those that use the green or purple stuff, does it affect the magnesium or aluminum at all? I've used SG on some parts, but never mag or aluminum as I heard it's corrosive on them.

it is corrosive for AL and Mg. Read the back of the label. Simple Green makes a product called "extreme" and it is usable for aircraft aluminum. Its what I would use if corrosion was my concern. I use marvel mystery oil or seafoam in the jar (like idiot and evanrude). then place the bottle in hot water.

Evanrude

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
it is corrosive for AL and Mg. Read the back of the label. Simple Green makes a product called "extreme" and it is usable for aircraft aluminum. Its what I would use if corrosion was my concern. I use marvel mystery oil or seafoam in the jar (like idiot and evanrude). then place the bottle in hot water.

Oh I'm aware the bottle says that and I do in fact have some of the aviation spec SG. It just surprises me when guys post up that they use purple power to clean saws. I'd like to know how they're avoiding corrosion.

SteveSS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oh I'm aware the bottle says that and I do in fact have some of the aviation spec SG. It just surprises me when guys post up that they use purple power to clean saws. I'd like to know how they're avoiding corrosion.
I use Purple Power in my parts washer to clean saws. I'd guess that limiting contact time and providing a good fresh water rinse afterwards is the key. I haven't had anything corrode yet.