Stihl MS311 idle issue

ratnester

New OPE Member
Local time
11:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First, let me start with saying I'm not a mechanic, just a weekend warrior. My old reliable 311 has ran perfect for years until lately. Now it starts and runs if I continually feather the throttle but will die immediately at idle. I have tried taking the carb apart a few times and cleaning it. I purchased and installed a carb repair kit (needle, gaskets, etc.) with the same end result. I was told that a hole in the fuel line can be the issue so I replaced both the line and the filter. No change, runs fine but won't idle.

A buddy of mine said to adjust the LA screw in. I tried that and it will now run for a few seconds before stalling.

Could I have missed something while cleaning? I do not have an ultrasonic cleaner. I tried using carb cleaner and light air to clean the passages. Which one is for the idle?

Also, what is the initial setting for the LA screw? I can find all kinds of data on the L&H screws but not the LA or idle screw.

Thank you.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This video may help out:

edit: With the LA screw from what I know, you need it in enough to keep the saw running, but back it off enough to keep the chain from just rolling around the bar.