High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

TYM and Mahindra Tractors...Got a John Deere Instead!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
8:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW, quality "Old Iron" is always a better value than new. However, new entrants to the tractor market rarely have the knowledge to separate the "good" old iron from the "crap" old iron. Thus, anyone new to the market should be looking for quality "new" machines or high-value not-too-old machinery. That said, I backed into a great bargain on a used Kubota, but most won't luck int this situation. New Kubota's keep their value and perform better than any other new compact tractors. You literally can't go wrong.
I’m no expert in old iron but know my way around them pretty well. Got the low down on this model from my brother in law who worked for John Deere for a few years and has been elbow deep into about every diesel you can imagine. Got the thumbs up.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you get the Deere you’ll dig the shuttle. Looks like two gear shifters so should have plenty of speed options. Good tires are worth a good bit. If she doesn’t have hydrolics in the back you can tap into the loader remotes. I know nothing about that machine but I’d bet it’s chrome. Deere and ih never really made a bad engine.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you get the Deere you’ll dig the shuttle. Looks like two gear shifters so should have plenty of speed options. Good tires are worth a good bit. If she doesn’t have hydrolics in the back you can tap into the loader remotes. I know nothing about that machine but I’d bet it’s chrome. Deere and ih never really made a bad engine.
It does not have remotes, thanks for the info. I’ve never operated a power shuttle shift, I’ll be sure to post a video of me fumbling through operation if I bring it home...LOL

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The JD301 is a dandy industrial tractor. We had one at work we used around the shop and to mow banks with. It had a mid mount sickle bar mower. It is similar to the JD830s if I remember correctly. Parts are still readily available through Deere and aftermarket. They aren't too hard to wrench on if needed. The little 3 cylinder diesel is a great engine. We swapped our dual stick loader control with a single stick from a Bailey Hydraulic (based out of Knoxville, TN but ships anywhere). You can also find them other places as well and it makes using the loader much easier. We put a gear reduction starter on ours to make winter time starting easier as well. You may have to swap lift pumps if you do that do to clearance issues. Remotes can be added in the loader circuit or a separate valve/control can be added very reasonable, especially if you scavenge parts from a tractor bone yard. We scavenged an 830 and got what we needed. The clutch can be tricky to if you need to buy a new one. Best to split and match it up. There were a few different clutch options for that model. We had our rebuilt local and was much cheaper.

I sent mine to another WMA that needed it more than I did once we got a boom mower, but I can get you some pics if I get that way sometime soon. Sorry for the long post, just giving you what I know on these. FWIW, I would much rather have the 301 over a sub compact hydro tractor any day.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The JD301 is a dandy industrial tractor. We had one at work we used around the shop and to mow banks with. It had a mid mount sickle bar mower. It is similar to the JD830s if I remember correctly. Parts are still readily available through Deere and aftermarket. They aren't too hard to wrench on if needed. The little 3 cylinder diesel is a great engine. We swapped our dual stick loader control with a single stick from a Bailey Hydraulic (based out of Knoxville, TN but ships anywhere). You can also find them other places as well and it makes using the loader much easier. We put a gear reduction starter on ours to make winter time starting easier as well. You may have to swap lift pumps if you do that do to clearance issues. Remotes can be added in the loader circuit or a separate valve/control can be added very reasonable, especially if you scavenge parts from a tractor bone yard. We scavenged an 830 and got what we needed. The clutch can be tricky to if you need to buy a new one. Best to split and match it up. There were a few different clutch options for that model. We had our rebuilt local and was much cheaper.

I sent mine to another WMA that needed it more than I did once we got a boom mower, but I can get you some pics if I get that way sometime soon. Sorry for the long post, just giving you what I know on these. FWIW, I would much rather have the 301 over a sub compact hydro tractor any day.
No need to apologize for that post...thanks for the feedback on the tractor! I’m excited as all hell, this is what I’ve always wanted. Tough built machine, strong hydraulics with lots of weight in a utility sized chassis. I’m going to run it Saturday before making the drive home with it. I called a John Deere industrial dealer and got the year and build sheet from them, it’s an 82’. Major engine overhaul kit is only $750 for it if I ever need it. That’s not much more than the kit for my little Farmall Super A. Nothing against modern stuff, but I’d rather have this chunk of old iron too. Here’s the build sheet.
E925D59A-3C82-4B4A-8442-EADBFD68281C.png

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like a good choice. I'd take a rugged older machine like that over a lot of the new stuff out there.

Only down fall is the lack of 4wd but the tire chains will make up for that most of the time. Hope it works out for you!

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only thing I don't see on the build sheet, and it may be standard, is a diff lock. It should have one, but may not.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also keep in mind, there are plenty of skid loader mounting plates that can be ordered to fit that loader. The you can easily swap bucket to forks.
I built my SSQA with the latch plates from palletforks.com. Best upgrade for an older compact IMO.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like a good choice. I'd take a rugged older machine like that over a lot of the new stuff out there.

Only down fall is the lack of 4wd but the tire chains will make up for that most of the time. Hope it works out for you!

Thanks bud. I’m hoping the chains will help it dig good enough in my gravel pit to get the job done. Not expecting backhoe performance, but I’m optimistic. I think I’ll be happy either way:)

The only thing I don't see on the build sheet, and it may be standard, is a diff lock. It should have one, but may not.

It says “No parking brake, w/diff lock” in the right column toward the bottom. So I think it has a lock. Be nice if it had a parking brake though, I don’t like using the transmission on anything to keep it from rolling away.

Also keep in mind, there are plenty of skid loader mounting plates that can be ordered to fit that loader. The you can easily swap bucket to forks.

I’m getting forks with it:). The owner used them to load logs onto his mill.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any chance the parking brake is in the transmission? Seems like I remember one brand or another over the years that the 1 hole (left and up) was park on one of the shift levers