Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the cover is broken in one of the videos (cant find my glasses) so may be easier to get a 6100 cover second hand.
Yeah, it'll fit!

My MMWS6100 clutch cover is sitting in a bucket awaiting the end of days, it got replaced by the better PS-550/EA5600 clutch cover.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, it'll fit!

My MMWS6100 clutch cover is sitting in a bucket awaiting the end of days, it got replaced by the better PS-550/EA5600 clutch cover.
I remember reading about the exchange, and a worthwhile one at that. Tempting seeing the 550 linked, but I can't get around the parts being difficult or impossible to get.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, this keeps bothering me mildly!

If You own more than one saw and don't run them commercially - what amount of parts do You people expect to require on the long run?

The only parts I ever needed to replace were on used abused saw purchases and of:
- cosmetic nature (covers)
- broken AV mounts
- punktured AF's
- blued clutches

I have like 1k€ in new OEM spare parts, mostly small ticket items.
I don't even know WTF I have, so little do I need any parts!
Sondre @SOS Ridgerider can confirm this.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, this keeps bothering me mildly!

If You own more than one saw and don't run them commercially - what amount of parts do You people expect to require on the long run?

The only parts I ever needed to replace were on used abused saw purchases and of:
- cosmetic nature (covers)
- broken AV mounts
- punktured AF's
- blued clutches

I have like 1k€ in new OEM spare parts, mostly small ticket items.
I don't even know WTF I have, so little do I need any parts!
Sondre @SOS Ridgerider can confirm this.
If you have 1000 in parts, then you are well sorted, would you have these parts at all if you could easily get them when you might need one. A person with only one large saw for example is out of commission if it breaks and he has to spend ages looking in hope he can get a part, you have a lot of saws that use the same parts, so you can swap them or just use one of your other saws. If I had all the 6400 chassis saws you have I would not worry about parts either as one saw could be sacrificed to keep the others going, not the case for most people who only want maybe two saws, a small and a large one where parts are not interchangeable, and they are screwed if they can not get a part within a few days, or have another similar saw to cannibalise. There are no Makita or Dolmar pats available in Ireland.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing is just pick up a couple parts saws just for that purpose. That what I have done. No parts shortage is going to keep me from enjoying my Dolkitas.

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That 361 is sort of a weird thing - it's always for sale in Donegal. A mate rang him and said he sounded legit, but is very odd.
Like, he didn't trust him just by how odd he was. In any case - Donegal...
Chainsaws sure are getting difficult in every aspect here in Ireland now...
Looks like that was a suspicious add, even my conversation was suspended as a result.
Inquired about a CS-501sx from another guy, as soon as I mentioned postal order payment he stopped responding, they don't like anyone having their address, which should not bother an honest man, 400.00 for the 501SX, says hardly used at all, either crooks or law enforcement fishing.

Attachments

• 361 conversation suspended.jpg
    361 conversation suspended.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 7

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
3:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello all! I've been reading and reading and reading, never quite getting the answers I'm looking for. So...time for questions.

I have a couple Makita EA5600 saws that I got a very good deal on and I am looking to play with one of them. From what I can tell, it seems to be identical in design to the 6100 with only minor differences. Is this correct?

What are the differences between the two saws?

Also, has anyone found success porting them? If so, what is the recipe? I noticed that they very oddly are bottom fed, but the case has no provisions for allowing fuel to flow nicely into the lower transfers nor does the piston have any sort of provisions such as windows. This seems as though it would severely limit flow into the lower transfers and so...I'm assuming they would benefit greatly from opening up the lowers.

I purchased a 6100 cylinder from eBay assuming this would be the best route, but now I have just read that the clutch may not be able to transfer the power effectively. Is there a possible bolt on clutch upgrade? I was quite impressed with the 5600 with just a muffler mod. Here's the video and I'll post some pictures of the case and lower transfer setup as it looks ridiculously limited to me.
I can't speak for a 5600 as I have never worked on one. I have done one 6100 for a raffle winner here on OPE...the 6100 is unique to me because it uses a reed valve for the clean air that dumps right into the upper transfers. Maybe the 5600 is the same? The 6100 I built ran very strong, but it took a lot of screwing around with the carb to get enough fuel.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like that was a suspicious add, even my conversation was suspended as a result.
Inquired about a CS-501sx from another guy, as soon as I mentioned postal order payment he stopped responding, they don't like anyone having their address, which should not bother an honest man, 400.00 for the 501SX, says hardly used at all, either crooks or law enforcement fishing.

Well, lemme know if ya could use a Dolmar 420. I am gettin on in age to play about with these toys any more :)
It's in great condition, and as of yet unported/unmolested.

Cheers

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, lemme know if ya could use a Dolmar 420. I am gettin on in age to play about with these toys any more :)
It's in great condition, and as of yet unported/unmolested.

Cheers
Parcel force is ready Wes 👍👍

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hah. Having trouble getting 420's in the UK now?
I woulda thought you had horded a fair few 4300's.
I'll go out to her and take some photos and send them over.

I got a few here but I needed another that has been touched by your magic hands

Hulsty

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm going to look at a used EA5600F on the weekend, has about 20 hours on it, new change for just over $300, rrp is $919 here. What should I look at, any common problems? Plan was to pull muffler (what size torx? ) and then give it a run. Comes with a 20'' bar, which I plan to downsize to a 18'' and subsequently upsize my 7901 to 24''.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm going to look at a used EA5600F on the weekend, has about 20 hours on it, new change for just over $300, rrp is $919 here. What should I look at, any common problems? Plan was to pull muffler (what size torx? ) and then give it a run. Comes with a 20'' bar, which I plan to downsize to a 18'' and subsequently upsize my 7901 to 24''.

T27 to take off muffler, check:
- piston & piston ring
- clutch, both weights & drum, also drums needle bearing
- oil pump drive (presence of both wings)
- make sure oil pump is working
- primer bulb (for cracks)

20 hours runtime is about 40 tanks of fuel.

She should start up cold fairly easy, and one pull everytime afterwards!

Hulsty

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, I've never bought a used saw before, new to me.

Mr Excitement

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up a very nice condition 111i last week. 99 model, 1 owner, low hour saw with 18” 3/8 bar and chain. I expected it to be open port, but it has a closed port cylinder. It also has the 3 shoe clutch.
So, I guess my question is, what is the difference between this saw and a 115i?IMG_4544.jpegIMG_4542.jpeg IMG_4543.jpeg

Last edited:

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

old_sir_henry

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I expected it to be open port, but it has a closed port cylinder. It also has the 3 shoe clutch.
This may happen if for some reason the saw has received a new spare cylinder. In later years only closed port mugs were available as spare.
The difference between 111 (and PS-52) vs. 115 is mainly 111 has open mugs, 115 closed transfers.
The three shoe clutch has been standard equipment to all models by 1999.
Before 1996 111 had 1 piston ring whereas 115 had 2. Later, all models had only 1 ring.

Last edited:

Mr Excitement

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One ring. The guy I bought it from was in his eighties, had suffered a cardiac episode about 12 years ago, and has had difficulty starting his OPE since. He replaced eveything with battery equipment.
I have been on the lookout for one of this series with a damaged cylinder to put on a nice 115 top end I have. Pretty happy this saw doesn't need it. I have a DCS520i, but there is nothing wrong with it, and I don't like swapping top ends just for the sake of it.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The definition of freak chainsaw, Dolmar PS-460 turning and holding crazy rpm's.
Damn good branching saw, but she ain't shy of doing trunk bucking cuts either.
Recent twister damaged conifer and plum, the plum got shredded.

IMG_20230729_171554.jpg IMG_20230729_171508.jpg IMG_20230729_171429.jpg IMG_20230729_171354.jpg