STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

M2theB

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_1175.JPGThat one fin missing above was missing when I got the saw.
These two washers below were between the spring cup and the starter coverIMG_1176.JPG IMG_1177.JPGThe wreck on the inside of the spring is my doing trying to coil it to get post end back to the window on the cup. But you can see it pulled off the post and into the cup IMG_1178.JPGhere's a pick off the aluminum bushing in the flywheel. Looks like it's bondoed in. The edge isn't square or true IMG_1179.JPGhere you can see some pretty good bites into the bushing. Those weren't there before the saw quit.

Pics always help.

M2theB

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok. Gone. LOL
I think that bushing being so high above the flywheel neck is part of the issue.
Someone had been in there before and didn't put things back as they wish they had.
Pawls in backward and thin washers stored away in a hole.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My 660 started leaking fuel somewhere. The tank line looks like a noodle, it's time. Three years on pump gas. The original silicone sealer is mush. E fuel. My question is what are you using now, maybe an update these days to reseal the carb box to the tank?
Crickets....moving on.

What would be better on the grease points, 400* disc brake/suspension grease or marine grade lithium grease?

M2theB

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_7089.JPG
That cup is about shot. This should help you get things sorted out.

Thanks for that, stuff ordered.

Pulling it apart I found that an original plastic bushing was inset with an aluminum bushing. My guess it was a last ditch try that made the ID to small for the pawl system. I had to pry the starter cover off so it was an interference fit from the start.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe they called that starter mechanism a Fairbanks-Morse style .Kind of a pain in the butt if you ask me .Several of my antiques have them and one Stihl .Either an 042 or 048 ,forgot which .It has the nylon cup whereas the oldies don't .

M2theB

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe they called that starter mechanism a Fairbanks-Morse style .Kind of a pain in the butt if you ask me .Several of my antiques have them and one Stihl .Either an 042 or 048 ,forgot which .It has the nylon cup whereas the oldies don't .

I'd like to know how old the saw is. I've seen the discussion on what information the serial number gives including the country manufactured.
Any idea what 4466522 says about year and country?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
4 is from Austria.

fe45b99d67c713b64ea248d419cb7e41.jpg

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
7:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
8 Digits are all Made in Germany. Austria is only lawnmowers and some other Battery stuff

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Afternoon from New Zealand to all!
This is the first post for me here although I have been an avid reader for quite some time :)
I am a Stihl fan as I one of my earliest memories is of my father (who owned a Stihl dealership in the late 1970's) occupying myself and my brother by repairing Stihls for friends and relations and showing us how they came to bits and went back together. I have since inherited some of his old tools and the tradition continues.....
I have just built a Stihl MS660 with an OEM bottom end and a Cross MMWS cylinder and Hyway poptop piston - this saw goes like a cut cat (as we say in NZ)
I also own:
My Grandfathers Stihl 020 (which has unfortunately lost spark)
Stihl 015
Stihl 041 AV
Stihl 031 AV (with aftermarket electronic ignition)
Stihl MS261 Carby version
Stihl 026 (which I am selling)
Stihl HS 246 Hedgetrimmer attachment (very tidy)
And I'm about to start on a Huztl MS361 build with a hyway cylinder and piston. Seriously keen to see how this goes together.
I read the threads talking about the difficulty of finding fuel without Ethanol with some amusement as the lowest grade fuel we can get here in NZ is 91 Octane and the highest grade premium fuel is 98 Octane! And it's available from the pump ;) No fuel out here (although gas is probably is relatively expensive @ $9.06NZD per US Gallon for 98) has any Ethanol - we simply can't get it!
HS246 Trimmer attachments are quite common here in NZ, are they rare in the US?
I'll try and get some pics of stuff at the weekend and post them here.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome! Nice saws you have there. [emoji106]