STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never had a problem with Oregon bars or chains .Of course I don't own any what you might call brand new ones .Conversely I have some Stihl bars that need a trip through a belt sander .Used by a tree service which might explain things .

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never had a problem with Oregon bars or chains .Of course I don't own any what you might call brand new ones .Conversely I have some Stihl bars that need a trip through a belt sander .Used by a tree service which might explain things .

If you run a file over an older Windsor bar or any older bar, the file wants to skip over the rails. These new Oregon bars, the file just bites in hard.

I take it the Stihl, Tsumura, Sugihara and Cannon are all good bars with hard rails.

I have one Stihl bar and lots of old bars.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think someplace I have a new bar ,Husky mount 20" .I can't remember who made it.Other than the Stihl and McCullochs I have no others except what's on the antiques .The McCulloch bars btw were made by Windsor and of course have some age on them .I have about 30-40 hanging on nails which aren't on saws and perhaps a dozen more in the shed .A few Husky mount size .

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used a 1/8" bit as that was close to the size on an older bar I have. Not sure what the outcome as far as oiling will be as it was darn cold today and I felt like I was coming down with a bug so I didn't fire the saw up.
I stuck a piece of sheet metal in the bar groove so I didn't go too far and got rid of any burrs inside the groove.
I did use a little stone on a dremel type grinder to open the hole slot a bit so the drill didn't snag. I don't think it was necessary as the steel is so soft.

I've been gathering most of my firewood which has been dead white ash. The wood is very dry so some dust when cutting is the norm and little oil holes like this one plug fast.

I will let you know if it helped any after I run it.

Before and after pics

As made

View attachment 53038

Drilled out to 1/8"

View attachment 53036

I cut a few cookies and some limbs I had up. The saw definitely throws more oil with the opened up oiler hole

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. I drilled out the oiler hole on a 20" bar. It definitely appears to oil more.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do the new Stihl bars have that little angled oil hole or is that an Oregon thing?

The bar I drilled out was at least a few years old but not used. The package listing for fit only went into the "0" series saws like 044, 066 etc.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe my Stihl has the angled port hole.

Bobbyjr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
New to me 441 I rebuilt. Almost there, waiting on some more parts. View attachment 55943
Everyone here have some nice saws. Mine don't seem to stay nice for very long! On my 660,I needed more oil,so I bought the high output bolt and gear . Do the bolt and gear parts put out as much oil as the complete high output pump?

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
b29bb6c7dd86cf2e607501c32ebfdc7a.jpg

Heres me 038 on display with her new spikes.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk