High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

DOLMAR/MAKITA The Official Sachs Dolmar Dolmar Makita Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
1:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Only variable between current production PS-5105/EA5000 is:

Carb adjustment screws
Muffler (Cat or Standard)
Spike bars - Dual large spikes are generally used with the Cat muffler.
Also curious while you're in the neighborhood, can you still get the 6401 parts in blue/teal ? Like clutch side case half and basically all the exterior body panels? Would like to refurbish and repair issues that were created by my 15 yr old and a Hickory tree!

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Only variable between current production PS-5105/EA5000 is:

Carb adjustment screws
Muffler (Cat or Standard)
Spike bars - Dual large spikes are generally used with the Cat muffler.
Interesting , but have you seen that de comp casting on the Ps 5105 saws in the past or was it only on the PS 5000-5100 .

Habada
Local time
2:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also curious while you're in the neighborhood, can you still get the 6401 parts in blue/teal ? Like clutch side case half and basically all the exterior body panels? Would like to refurbish and repair issues that were created by my 15 yr old and a Hickory tree!

Teal parts for the 6400 series are available.

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Big dogs ..You boys like your bigger double dawgs
USA/other saws have a sticker saying that the saw is rated as 20 in ..We dont have that and the saw is rated as a 18 in bar max and supplied with 15in .325 standard.
No carb limiters....
Not all of us like the "big US style" bucking spikes... I actually just aquired a small bucking spike for my 6100 b/c I dont like loosing 2" of usable bar. As for bar and chain combo i think it depends on how you use your saws. 3/8 pitch is nice for all around but if you are doing 80% limbing and trimming I would like 325 better.

Yea...I replied before i saw your edit Nathan.You mean the 5105 Isnt mag case ..Already ?...i thought it was ! So this question is even more relevant as to if the Ero saws are different .
From my recollection ( @166 might correct me) the weight difference between 510 (12.3lb) and 5100/5105 (11.9lb) was a mag case vs aluminum case. It could also be cylinder castings varying in weight. Which in speaking of they cylinders... I was remembering other Dolmar enthusiasts saying that the 5105 had improvements in cooling since there was a higher than normal top end failure rate. I think it was more the carb tune from factory but believe something was done to increase cooling between 5100/5105. I can't remember if that was more cooling veins on the cylinder or what... Maybe others will chime in. I would comment but out of the couple dozen i've been into, I have yet to set one beside the other to take a closer look. Also I believe these series saws have seen several different coils but that not the question here.

I believe it has the most to gain of any of my saws due to the fact that it feels fairly choked.
2 cents from a guy who doesn't know... Muffler assists in better acceleration and does give it a pop and crackle but most of the power for these saws will be found in the carburation. @Poleman does a good job on these dolmar/makita carbs (hint hint).

I think the EA 5000 ...is supposed to be the 5105 equivalent but the Makita saws are not that familiar to me, the differences in 5105 here and in other markets intrigues me.
I feel the 5105 is best on .325 narrow kerf (1.3mm .50) or standard 1.5mm chain and 7 pin rim and a 15" bar...makes it only 14 lb in weight on the narrow kerf . You may find the saw feels very much more lively if you get shot of the 20 " and 3/8 chain that has a higher gearing on the sprocket diameter.
Yes, they are identical saws with the exception of bar and pitch choices . What you know as a5105 in blue is an EA5000P53G, now that they are all one color mine with 20" 3/8 is a EA5000 PRGG , WITH 18" 3/8 is EA5000PREG your configuration would be EA5000PREL with 16" .325. I was just concerned because of my lack of decomp boss I thought you were saying that that was the 3.3hp 5121 !
As far as the 20" bar it pulls it with authority,even with the bar buried in hardwood.
My comment about it being choked up is based on the cat muffler,and just knowing that there is quite a bit more waiting to be released. But I am interested in getting a 16-18" lightweight bar,never thought about changing pitch but you never know.....
So just to be clear your 5105 doesn't have the decomp boss? Thanks,. Matt.....

There is a new reduced weight NK .325 B&C system out from oregon; dubbed SpeedCut. Aluminum core bar that has been glued/epoxied together which is supposed to add rigidity and strength over the old plug welded bars. I ran one on a Shindaiwa 488 at the NY GTG and was pretty impressed with it. There is a new factory sharpening system that "sweep grinds" the cutters. The effect is a steeper top plate angle that cuts really well out of the box. Speaking with the oregon rep this chain is best sharpened by file to maintain factory cutting speed and you loose 2-4% more speed if you grind. The factory sweep grind is made to match a hand file for easier sharpening. There is added lubrication design on the drivers too. It would have been easier for me to give a more in depth review if I tried a 3/8 - 18" on my makita 520i that i built for @redray46 but they didnt have a small mount 3/8 there. Initial impressions are promising and would like to see how it holds up over the long haul.

Now if we wanted to change the conversation for a bit the most promising new item at the NY GTG was acutally the newly redesigned 36v Makita battery powered chainsaw. I buried that thing several times in cants and we actually raced head to head against a 36v Husky. Where is that video @166 ????

Think I'm done now that I have raised more questions than answered...

Griffdog

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I started up a facebook page called Aussie Chainsaw Enthusiasts. We have a competition running at the moment for firewood saws under $150 dollars (around 100us). You have to do a video introducing yourself and your saw and showing it cutting. Winner will be by vote by page members for the saw they would choose if they had to use it for cutting wood for a season. Its been interesting with a number of blokes going for Chinese saws that they have then essentially rebuilt.

I went for a Dolly 116si that I got for 100oz and then brought a cheap bar and chain. This is my video. I have said it before and will say it again - these Dolmars are fantastic saws that are still fantastically usable 25 years down the track.

This is my video. Great camera work by my 9 year old daughter Pip.

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I started up a facebook page called Aussie Chainsaw Enthusiasts. We have a competition running at the moment for firewood saws under $150 dollars (around 100us). You have to do a video introducing yourself and your saw and showing it cutting. Winner will be by vote by page members for the saw they would choose if they had to use it for cutting wood for a season. Its been interesting with a number of blokes going for Chinese saws that they have then essentially rebuilt.

I went for a Dolly 116si that I got for 100oz and then brought a cheap bar and chain. This is my video. I have said it before and will say it again - these Dolmars are fantastic saws that are still fantastically usable 25 years down the track.

This is my video. Great camera work by my 9 year old daughter Pip.

Very good sir,and a wonderful job by Pip, I can see cinematography in her future! Tell her not to forget the little people (like us) when she hit's the big screen! I like the 116 , how many cc's are they? I have a Makita DCS540 (54cc's) very similar. I love the 540 it's what got me into the Dolmar/Makita fanclub !
Great idea/challenge will look you up on Facebook... Matt

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
2 cents from a guy who doesn't know... Muffler assists in better acceleration and does give it a pop and crackle
So your saying that the muffler is best left complete and makes more power and acceleration due to back pressure? As far as pop and crackle it doesn't have any,my 7910 with stock muffler pops and crackles and revs freely but the EA5000(5105) feels like it is smothered in comparison . Out of all my saws it feels as though it has the most to gain,just needs to have those horses released!
I saw a promotional video on the Speed Cut system awhile back and had been considering it, and another member here has been kind enough to offer me one.With the lightweight and low cost sounds hard to beat. So will report back on that in the near future!

Flint Mitch

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not all of us like the "big US style" bucking spikes... I actually just aquired a small bucking spike for my 6100 b/c I dont like loosing 2" of usable bar. As for bar and chain combo i think it depends on how you use your saws. 3/8 pitch is nice for all around but if you are doing 80% limbing and trimming I would like 325 better.

From my recollection ( @166 might correct me) the weight difference between 510 (12.3lb) and 5100/5105 (11.9lb) was a mag case vs aluminum case. It could also be cylinder castings varying in weight. Which in speaking of they cylinders... I was remembering other Dolmar enthusiasts saying that the 5105 had improvements in cooling since there was a higher than normal top end failure rate. I think it was more the carb tune from factory but believe something was done to increase cooling between 5100/5105. I can't remember if that was more cooling veins on the cylinder or what... Maybe others will chime in. I would comment but out of the couple dozen i've been into, I have yet to set one beside the other to take a closer look. Also I believe these series saws have seen several different coils but that not the question here.

2 cents from a guy who doesn't know... Muffler assists in better acceleration and does give it a pop and crackle but most of the power for these saws will be found in the carburation. @Poleman does a good job on these dolmar/makita carbs (hint hint).

There is a new reduced weight NK .325 B&C system out from oregon; dubbed SpeedCut. Aluminum core bar that has been glued/epoxied together which is supposed to add rigidity and strength over the old plug welded bars. I ran one on a Shindaiwa 488 at the NY GTG and was pretty impressed with it. There is a new factory sharpening system that "sweep grinds" the cutters. The effect is a steeper top plate angle that cuts really well out of the box. Speaking with the oregon rep this chain is best sharpened by file to maintain factory cutting speed and you loose 2-4% more speed if you grind. The factory sweep grind is made to match a hand file for easier sharpening. There is added lubrication design on the drivers too. It would have been easier for me to give a more in depth review if I tried a 3/8 - 18" on my makita 520i that i built for @redray46 but they didnt have a small mount 3/8 there. Initial impressions are promising and would like to see how it holds up over the long haul.

Now if we wanted to change the conversation for a bit the most promising new item at the NY GTG was acutally the newly redesigned 36v Makita battery powered chainsaw. I buried that thing several times in cants and we actually raced head to head against a 36v Husky. Where is that video @166 ????

Think I'm done now that I have raised more questions than answered...
Where did you source those smaller spikes?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So your saying that the muffler is best left complete and makes more power and acceleration due to back pressure? As far as pop and crackle it doesn't have any,my 7910 with stock muffler pops and crackles and revs freely but the EA5000(5105) feels like it is smothered in comparison . Out of all my saws it feels as though it has the most to gain,just needs to have those horses released!
I saw a promotional video on the Speed Cut system awhile back and had been considering it, and another member here has been kind enough to offer me one.With the lightweight and low cost sounds hard to beat. So will report back on that in the near future!
2 totally different muffler systems. The 7910 is a SLR muffler with an internal tube that is designed for free flowing but has enough back pressure to help "re-burn" exhaust for cleaner emissions. The 5105 has a cat inside with a small bypass hole. The cat mufflers usually run better when hot and gases flow a little better. So you would be right that the 5105 MM would probably show more initial gains over a gutted 7910. However, what I was trying to point out is that the MM should go hand in hand with a carb job to feed a little more fuel. Poleman did a few 6400/7900 zama carbs for me (i believe he is re-jetting the oem H&L orifices) so that they feed better. I know maybe people are putting a 372 walbro carb onto the 6400/7900 series but the zama's work great after a "shine job." And just to further clarify poleman told me that the best power comes from a carb job, muffler mod, and porting on the 5100/5105. I would assume carb and muffler mod would help a pretty good amount on their own. I have a 5105 that is pretty doggy (runs rich as all get out) until hot and then comes alive after some cut time. I am considering sending him my 5105 to see what he can do... Seems like a carb problem and I will 100% admit that my weak area of expertise in 2 strokes is carbs.

Side note: a little 400/401 Dolmar/Makita is a pretty good little 40cc screamer with a opened up muff, 0.016-0.017 squish, little cylinder work, 7pin 3/8 LP rim with stihl PS, and a Stihl 028 Walbro carb. I just have to figure out the choke situation now so I don't have to pop the cover to start every time...

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
it's a single inner spike that I acquired and they were a special run that someone CNC'ed... I don't know if they are on the open market for sale. I'll check.
Or you could get the single spikes that are fitted to the Euro saws ? we dont get the big spikes that the USA saws do. Ask Andrew @ajschainsaws

Attachments

• Photo1061.jpg
    Photo1061.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 26

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
2 totally different muffler systems. The 7910 is a SLR muffler with an internal tube that is designed for free flowing but has enough back pressure to help "re-burn" exhaust for cleaner emissions. The 5105 has a cat inside with a small bypass hole. The cat mufflers usually run better when hot and gases flow a little better. So you would be right that the 5105 MM would probably show more initial gains over a gutted 7910. However, what I was trying to point out is that the MM should go hand in hand with a carb job to feed a little more fuel. Poleman did a few 6400/7900 zama carbs for me (i believe he is re-jetting the oem H&L orifices) so that they feed better. I know maybe people are putting a 372 walbro carb onto the 6400/7900 series but the zama's work great after a "shine job." And just to further clarify poleman told me that the best power comes from a carb job, muffler mod, and porting on the 5100/5105. I would assume carb and muffler mod would help a pretty good amount on their own. I have a 5105 that is pretty doggy (runs rich as all get out) until hot and then comes alive after some cut time. I am considering sending him my 5105 to see what he can do... Seems like a carb problem and I will 100% admit that my weak area of expertise in 2 strokes is carbs.

Side note: a little 400/401 Dolmar/Makita is a pretty good little 40cc screamer with a opened up muff, 0.016-0.017 squish, little cylinder work, 7pin 3/8 LP rim with stihl PS, and a Stihl 028 Walbro carb. I just have to figure out the choke situation now so I don't have to pop the cover to start every time...
Yes I realize that they are completely different mufflers, I was just referring to your description of pop and crackle which the 7910 does and the EA5000 doesn't and my intentions all along have been to port and muffler mod due to like I described it as being stopped up per say. It's a fairly new saw(less than 10 tanks) so just some time on it will probably help somewhat. The carb I had never given a lot of thought to as far as modification but after joining this forum I have heard that Rich is the carburetor Guru!
Which made me think that it's the total package including a worked over carb.
You are right the 401 is a great little saw. I bought one back in 09 I believe when we had a really bad ice storm. I got it because it's light and I could reach up into trees and 1 hand it all day. I didn't think I was going to like it after I ordered it from home depot based on it's weight,when it showed up with 1 bar nut it concerned me and I used it so little it probably took 2yrs to break in, but have grown to love it and it's my go to saw for training my children and to carry on the tractor , unfortunately the tank has started leaking at the seam so need to order another one.
The flooding in N.Arkansas a couple weeks ago unfortunately hit me pretty hard washed out our driveway and the road to our rental property so repairing those slowed down the schedule for porting and fuel tanks and such but we'll get there! Matt...

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as the cooling diff between 5100 and 5105..... I believe it's in the fan/shroud and top cover design that actually sends more air over the cylinder fins.

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As far as the cooling diff between 5100 and 5105..... I believe it's in the fan/shroud and top cover design that actually sends more air over the cylinder fins.

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk
I believe that I read that somewhere also....

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I realize that they are completely different mufflers, I was just referring to your description of pop and crackle which the 7910 does and the EA5000 doesn't and my intentions all along have been to port and muffler mod due to like I described it as being stopped up per say. It's a fairly new saw(less than 10 tanks) so just some time on it will probably help somewhat. The carb I had never given a lot of thought to as far as modification but after joining this forum I have heard that Rich is the carburetor Guru!
Which made me think that it's the total package including a worked over carb.
You are right the 401 is a great little saw. I bought one back in 09 I believe when we had a really bad ice storm. I got it because it's light and I could reach up into trees and 1 hand it all day. I didn't think I was going to like it after I ordered it from home depot based on it's weight,when it showed up with 1 bar nut it concerned me and I used it so little it probably took 2yrs to break in, but have grown to love it and it's my go to saw for training my children and to carry on the tractor , unfortunately the tank has started leaking at the seam so need to order another one.
The flooding in N.Arkansas a couple weeks ago unfortunately hit me pretty hard washed out our driveway and the road to our rental property so repairing those slowed down the schedule for porting and fuel tanks and such but we'll get there! Matt...
Ha! We are "2 of a kind"... My driveway blew completely out twice in less than a year! Wife and I were walking 1/4 mile down the drive, over a bridge (made by yours truely) and up to the log deck where we were parking our cars. We went from a 48" culvert, to a 60" culvert, to a 10ft culvert over the course of 14-16months.

401's are great little saws to train on since they are super light. I think the number i remember was 9.1-9.3 lbs or something like that. They don't have the high rpms of new saws but have plenty of torque to pull through some wood. I would keep your eye out on CL and Ebay. I have found several for $25-$45 over the past few years. They have problematic coils that fail every so often so parts donors are cheap. Keep yours in a dry area if possible I think the last one that failed on me was due to moisture (riding in the back of the pickup for a while).

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ha! We are "2 of a kind"... My driveway blew completely out twice in less than a year! Wife and I were walking 1/4 mile down the drive, over a bridge (made by yours truely) and up to the log deck where we were parking our cars. We went from a 48" culvert, to a 60" culvert, to a 10ft culvert over the course of 14-16months.
Yes it's tough to have to rebuild stuff you worked so hard to get in the first place. This was truly an unusual flood ,it went through a building that had never seen water, luckily a lot of the stuff that got flushed out ended up tangled up in tree's down stream (wheel and tires,shovels, a large job box) but still missing a couple 5gal diesel cans (empty luckily) if anyone down stream See's them grab em! In the end it's just money and time that I hadn't planned on spending ... it will all come out in the wash! I will try to get one of my teenagers to teach me how to post videos, it's worth seeing...

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or you could get the single spikes that are fitted to the Euro saws ? we dont get the big spikes that the USA saws do. Ask Andrew @ajschainsaws
Yep, same spike but the ones I have were run from a better grade/thicker steel I believe.

So back on point... I was talking a little about carbs and carb swaps for the Dolmar/Makita saws. So now with an impending 520i closed port build, I am starting to wonder what i might be able to swap onto this 520i. Wondering if better venturi flow will give it marked improvement without porting.

I'm not a big fan of the HU-83F or HU-116B carbs that had the intele-choke or whatever that system was called. The regular walbro WT-76A's do a pretty decent job, but after seeing what a little more carb can do on a 6400/7900 series it just makes me wonder. I have plenty of carbs sitting around the shop so I might look into another WT option from a larger 60cc saw. Perhaps one of the 116/120/123 dolmar saws will have something I can work with... Just thinking out loud here.

Last edited:

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yep, same spike but the ones I have were run from a better grade/thicker steel I believe.

So back on point... I was talking a little about carbs and carb swaps for the Dolmar/Makita saws. So now with an impending 520i closed port build, I am starting to wonder what i might be able to swap onto this 520i. Wondering if better venturi flow will give it marked improvement without porting.

I'm not a big fan of the HU-83F or HU-116B carbs that had the intele-choke or whatever that system was called. The regular walbro WT-76A's do a pretty decent job, but after seeing what a little more carb can do on a 6400/7900 series it just makes me wonder. I have plenty of carbs sitting around the shop so I might look into another WT option from a larger 60cc saw. Perhaps one of the 116/120/123 dolmar saws will have something I can work with... Just thinking out loud here.
Same here.....That Tillitson Hu 83 has been a pain on most of the 115 i saws that iv worked on. Its got a big needle valve that works on a cam instead of the Walbro's conventional choke butterfly . The valve often seems to weep a little when off and has given me tune /loading issues so given the chance i have put the WT-76 on instead. Im not dealing with porting in the same way you may be thinking of so iv never had a situation of a saw feeling "Under Carbed " Nathan. That WT-76 works well as a sub on all the ( i ) saws in more or less ...standard form and tune.

NCFarmboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just got in today 520i supposed to have carb. issues. Good to know about the WT-76.
Shep