DOLMAR/MAKITA The Official Sachs Dolmar Dolmar Makita Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
9:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same here.....That Tillitson Hu 83 has been a pain on most of the 115 i saws that iv worked on. Its got a big needle valve that works on a cam instead of the Walbro's conventional choke butterfly . The valve often seems to weep a little when off and has given me tune /loading issues so given the chance i have put the WT-76 on instead. Im not dealing with porting in the same way you may be thinking of so iv never had a situation of a saw feeling "Under Carbed " Nathan. That WT-76 works well as a sub on all the ( i ) saws in more or less ...standard form and tune.
Well I was referring to a saw being under carbed in stock and ported form. There are many saws that will scream if you give them a little more air and fuel. I was playing around with Husky 55's not that long ago and found that a Partner carb really made the saw take off... one of these days I might get a little more serious about porting but for right now I know just enough to widen ports where possible for extra flow and maybe deleting a base gasket here and there, muffler modding, and swaping carbs. I don't think I'll ever get hip deep in porting and all its intricacies since I'm not a chainsaw racer. If I need more power I get a bigger saw out. At the end of the day you can have all the power possible and a chain sharpening can make the biggest difference. Thats not to say I don't have a few ported and heavily modified saws, but those are for fun at gtg's and blowing peoples minds when they think their box store saw is hot stuff...:D

Back to the 83 vs 76 carbs... The 83 runs decent when they are working but can be a royal pain when they aren't. I've got the better part of 15 saws in the 109/111/115/520/540 series so swapping a spare 76 and choke shaft is pretty easy. I will admit part of the reason i am wondering about a 60cc carb swap is for when all my 76 carbs start failing on me. I have about 10 of this series with friends, family, and a beat up loaner or 2. I'm also worried about a couple wear and tear parts for these that are NLA in the USA now and have ordered back ups when found on ebay.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Well I was referring to a saw being under carbed in stock and ported form. There are many saws that will scream if you give them a little more air and fuel. I was playing around with Husky 55's not that long ago and found that a Partner carb really made the saw take off... one of these days I might get a little more serious about porting but for right now I know just enough to widen ports where possible for extra flow and maybe deleting a base gasket here and there, muffler modding, and swaping carbs. I don't think I'll ever get hip deep in porting and all its intricacies since I'm not a chainsaw racer. If I need more power I get a bigger saw out. At the end of the day you can have all the power possible and a chain sharpening can make the biggest difference. Thats not to say I don't have a few ported and heavily modified saws, but those are for fun at gtg's and blowing peoples minds when they think their box store saw is hot stuff...:D

Back to the 83 vs 76 carbs... The 83 runs decent when they are working but can be a royal pain when they aren't. I've got the better part of 15 saws in the 109/111/115/520/540 series so swapping a spare 76 and choke shaft is pretty easy. I will admit part of the reason i am wondering about a 60cc carb swap is for when all my 76 carbs start failing on me. I have about 10 of this series with friends, family, and a beat up loaner or 2. I'm also worried about a couple wear and tear parts for these that are NLA in the USA now and have ordered back ups when found on ebay.
Iv not found a a supply of that Injector unit on the 83 after some ..Moderate .. searching and all my saws are on working walbro carbs now due to having a few part saws. Must admit that im going to be saying "So Long " to most of the group we are talking about as i really like the saws that are being made now . Think a 110 will stay as its such a gutsy little saw and I will set it aside for cutting up transport pallets . Another Ps 420 sc will make its way into the fold as a 40 cc class saw of choice to pick up and use for field hedge work . Iv no direct knowledge of upping carb size looking for performance partly due to the need to sell the saws on and we dont have the market for "Modded" saws like you have in the USA. Standard stuff is easy to shift if it is in good condition..modded ..not so good.

Griffdog

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thought some of you guys might be interested in this. Friend told me he had found an old Dolmar for me. Usually this means a 112/114 or the like. Rocked around with this that he had got with a few other saws from the back of a mower shop. Looked like it was seized but has actually freed up nicely. Its not often you are going to get a 166 gifted to you...

Iron.and.bark

Eats trees & drinks dinosaur juice
Local time
9:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
CA on the shelf. Might have a CT hanging around in the shed somewhere!!!

Like to reshed the ct in another part of oz? :p

As for ca, traded for a blue one and someone else took the package from depot.. :(

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thought some of you guys might be interested in this. Friend told me he had found an old Dolmar for me. Usually this means a 112/114 or the like. Rocked around with this that he had got with a few other saws from the back of a mower shop. Looked like it was seized but has actually freed up nicely. Its not often you are going to get a 166 gifted to you...

Geeze! I wish I could fall into a free 166!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mayby you dolkita guys will know, is there a dolmar that is partners with a solo 667?

Griffdog

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Is your CA a runner just wondering how you got on with the tune on that saw as they can be tricky to set right
Yeah my CA is a runner - as it was running well when I got it I have left well enough alone. I am not looking at using it for anything other than the odd cut to demonstrate and its fine.

Griffdog

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Mayby you dolkita guys will know, is there a dolmar that is partners with a solo 667?

Solo 667 is a pure Solo saw, very long 38mm stroke for a 70cc saw so lots of torque but pretty heavy for its class. Dolmar/Makita equivalent would be the 6800i, which is not the same saw.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Solo 667 is a pure Solo saw, very long 38mm stroke for a 70cc saw so lots of torque but pretty heavy for its class.

I can still find some parts but there getting scarce. And expensive. Hoping for an alternative.

Griffdog

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Like to reshed the ct in another part of oz? :p:(

CT is actually a friends that I have been fixing. He had two broken down ones and I made 1 good one and am just trying to get a few bits to complete the second one. This was the fist.

Attachments

• IMG_2460.JPG
    IMG_2460.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 15

Griffdog

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I can still find some parts but there getting scarce. And expensive. Hoping for an alternative.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mate if you are committed to the saw grab parts like ignition coils whenever they come up. The saws are very strong and generally it is ignition that lets them down like a lot of 80's saws. Its the same for the same era dolmars - there is no aftermarket supply like for Stihl or Husky so you are looking for genuine parts usually second hand. I will I could just buy half a dozen air filters for 120si/6800 as this is one thing that all mine need that are hard to get. You want to try and find something for a 166. All these old Germans are a labour of love.

Iron.and.bark

Eats trees & drinks dinosaur juice
Local time
9:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I can still find some parts but there getting scarce. And expensive. Hoping for an alternative.

Pm me with what you are looking for. Wreck at a local dealers, can see if I can prise parts of him ;)

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any parts like ignition,oil pump, seals, and so on for a 690 or a 667. The kind of stuff that wears out but can be used to keep the saw alive. These are both for fire dept saws. If they have a serious failure, they'll end up getting scraped and probably just get a Stihl 461R

Last edited: