High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Then you should already know what your options are and what's out there. Guess I misunderstood what you meant by needing some education on the subject.
I have no idea what interchanges with OEM. I may be foggy at thought most times. Writing is worse. I should have asked what fits or interchanges with large Mac non OEM sprockets of the replaceable rim and drum variety in standard large seven spline rims of the 3/8" or 404 type . Or the pic Al posted says everything in a nut shell. While were here, do you know if any others fit this saws crank and clutch assembly?

So far I have OEM or Oregon. Anybody's make could well fit with a bushing. I'm not up on old old Stihl drums, Homelite illiterate on big saws but learning fast, lost in Mac numbers on large models but learning fast. Totally brain dead on big or big and old Dolmars or clone types of those. Who else makes big mean chainsaw clutches of small diameters? Idk...

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Homies can be odd .The one in my avatar has a spline drive clutch spider and splined crankshaft with a six segmented 7/8"clutch shoe deal and uses a six spline drum that only came in 8 tooth .404 .As luck would have I have a complete new assembly in standby .It's a heavy duty thing but that's a high torque old saw .Red Wood slayer .---works good on big oaks too---

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The Homies can be odd .The one in my avatar has a spline drive clutch spider and splined crankshaft with a six segmented 7/8"clutch shoe deal and uses a six spline drum that only came in 8 tooth .404 .As luck would have I have a complete new assembly in standby .It's a heavy duty thing but that's a high torque old saw .Red Wood slayer .---works good on big oaks too---
I saw that drive before. Damn near 090 size.

Maybe Pioneer or Poulan had the same deal idk.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe Pioneer or Poulan had the same deal idk.

Yep.

Just finished working on a P62 with the splined crank arrangement for the clutch. Thing was, the clutch spider had a hex nut too. Tried everything I could think of to twist that sucker off and it wouldn't budge. Finally gave up. When I flipped the saw over to put the starter back on the damned thing just slid right off. Boy did I feel like a dumb ass.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know almost nothing about Pioneer except for a little one we took to Colorado deer hunting .It was little 3 cuber,did good .Poulan however made some beefy saws at one time .Many people just think of the plastic Craftsman types but they were a player at one time .

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I know almost nothing about Pioneer except for a little one we took to Colorado deer hunting .It was little 3 cuber,did good .Poulan however made some beefy saws at one time .Many people just think of the plastic Craftsman types but they were a player at one time .

How big did the other SAE size go?
Anything beyond 100cc in Poulan?

The partner/pioneer is rare here.

Need to go see a guy who knew that era of sawyers about Mac carcasses and old repair shops. Need to find out about his sweet tooth habits and such desirable enticing treats.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This clutch drum situation I think is just like adapting different bars to different saws .If you have the ability and machines to do it with and an imagination it can be done .For example I found a 10 pin doweled racing type sprocket with whatever size a 125 Mac is,maybe 3 inch and cut a brass bushing for it and it worked.I had the bright idea that stock saw could pull that much in .404 chisel square .It did but it didn't have enough azz to do it with gusto .Then again if you never try something how would you ever know.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could go on about that adaptation of stuff forever .It takes thinking outside the box and restoration of anything is not for the impatient .If I give a lot of examples of same somebody will call me an arrogant so and so again so I won't .I'll only say almost anything mechanical is possible .Some can and some can't ,simple as that .

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are plenty of clutches and drums for the old McCulloch saws out there, easier to get one of those for your saw than trying to adapt something else.

All of the large frame drums with the replaceable rim are the standard large 7 spline (7/8") so any current large spline sprocket will fit.

10 Series drums came with both large and small (3/4") spline drums, 600 Series interchange with the 10 Series but were only available as small spline.

Mark

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
--To further add to the above I think about the only drum a person would have problems locating might be some gear drive Macs .On that not many people have those ,usually just collectors .It's highly unlikely a person could ever wear one out .
If you think about you have a reed valve Mac engine of at least 80 cc and larger with a 2 or 3 or more reduction .Even with say a 1/2" chain which takes a big bite it's nearly impossible to stall one in the cut,can be done but it takes some work .That clutch is not going to slip and wear out the drum .Just chew away like a beaver on steroids throwing big chips .

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the mini mac on bench tor apart to put fuel line and carb kit in. Also has the broken recoil so gonna try a fix i seen on youtube. I tryed supor glue but didnt work and i was to impatiant to let it dry i guess.

8d77bf39fdbcc721006b2b62a1fd907f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've found this old Oregon sprocket list helpful as to which sprockets are common on which models.

Attachments

• Oregon old sprockets.pdf
    328.6 KB · Views: 7

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Leeha answered over on A.S.

While it is not easy, you have to remove the spring and shoes. McCulloch literature talks about unhooking the spring but I was able to pry the spring out. It has been a while since I had to mess with one so I can't offer any better advice.

Once apart, you can grind off the peened over bit of the pawl stud to remove it.

Mark

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. Just saw Lee's post also. Trying to help MogulMasher sort it out. Don't think he's over here and thought maybe Al had a magic bullet. Almost looks like the hub would press out. Certainly looks like that's how it went together..., probably with a BIG press, tho!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never taken one apart .I might guess you'd have to get it off the spider and maybe it has drive pins holding the dog on .I'll see what I can find in the big black book for "righties" in the morning .I think I have a righty clutch some place for a 10-10 .It might be the same design .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More I think about it might be possible get creative with a big vise and use it instead of a punch .If the starter device is press fit into the spider .If that's so a tad bit of heat on the spider might ease it along .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I tried unsuccessfully to find an exploded view of that clutch .I have none of the righties in the big black book .I do on micro but the drawings are so grainy I can't hardly tell what from what .Some place I have the McBob CD or DVD whatever it is .Where it's at could be several places .I know not where it's hiding .

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for checking into it. Evidently the pins holding the pawls are pressed in and then peened. Removal seems to require the shoes being removed and the pin end ground flush in order to punch it out from behind.