MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On what few I could see it showed the pins,pawls and washer between the pawl and mechanism attached to the spider .None showed the bolts from that mechanism to the spider though .I'll trot out to the shed this afternoon and check a super 44 .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay sports fans what I found or think I've found .This appears to be the same clutch on a super 44 ,rusty old rascal .It would seem to me if the shoes were off or like Mark mentioned pulled back out of the way you could get to the start assembly with the pawls .I had thought those small holes would have bolts attaching to the spider but not so .Evidently the sleeve going over the crankshaft stub is pressed fit in the spider .By the position everything sits on the spider I think it could be repaired without further disassembly .Just visual observation ,it might be more entailed .

Attachments

• DSCN0586.JPG
    DSCN0586.JPG
    305.8 KB · Views: 18

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heres a group photo
a23746741a6d7fd8102086217ac113ed.jpg
d02e13ada1407ea41d5f04b7cfa45ee2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back to the righty clutch .I just wonder if the pin has a shoulder step in it ? I would almost think it would so it sits in place good and tight .If so it would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack .However if a guy was real handy with a lathe it could be turned .

Heavy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello to smith when will he make the video of his 6-10?

Teemore

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi folks, does anyone have any information on Serial Numbers for McCulloch saws built in Mechelen, Belgium?

I have a Mac 2-10 Automatic with the small bullfrog carb that probably needs new diaphrams etc after sitting "for a while". There are a couple of kits available on eBay and in terms of model compatibility, these kits reference various USA built 1-10 and 2-10 serial numbers and prefixes.
The only stamping I have found so far on this saw is 24303. No suffix or prefix. Can anyone help me link this to US serial numbers? From pictures Mark H has posted, I believe the carb is a single needle bullfrog. If I get time away from extracting honey this weekend, i'll try and get some half decent pictures of the saw and carb etc and post them here for reference/identification. I'd prefer to know if I can get a diaphragm kit before I pull anything apart....

Cheers all.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think I could be much help on that carb although if I look hard enough I could probably find a diagram of it .McCulloch for reasons unknown through the earlier years could not make their minds up which side to put the starter on or what type and model of carb to use . The bull dogs and larger Walbro MAC I just try to stay away from .
Having said that ,there was a guy on one of the forums who I can't remember his name .He was making hard or nearly impossible to find after market rebuild kits for carbs .He sold under "Sugar Creek Supply ".I haven't looked but Google might find it .

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sent the most common bullfrog diaphragm (NOS) to Joe Salva at Sugar Creek a good while back, not sure if he ever made any. There are usually one or two on e-Bay but you have to compare them carefully with the one you have as there were at least 5 different variations of the little bullfrog carburetor. I don't think the Serial Number will help any since McCulloch was willing to make a lot of changes on the fly.

I had a friend stop by today with a couple of power heads he'd gone through completely and rebuilt as needed. Both have good compression and run well. He doesn't participate in the forums but is e-Bay seller 1twomachine.

PM700

20190823_134039.jpg

20190823_134047.jpg

SP60

20190823_134202.jpg

20190823_134208.jpg

If anyone is interested in either one, send a PM and I will put you in contact with the seller.

Mark

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sent the most common bullfrog diaphragm (NOS) to Joe Salva at Sugar Creek a good while back, not sure if he ever made any. There are usually one or two on e-Bay but you have to compare them carefully with the one you have as there were at least 5 different variations of the little bullfrog carburetor. I don't think the Serial Number will help any since McCulloch was willing to make a lot of changes on the fly.

I had a friend stop by today with a couple of power heads he'd gone through completely and rebuilt as needed. Both have good compression and run well. He doesn't participate in the forums but is e-Bay seller 1twomachine.

Mark FWIW, Joe Salva is no good in my book. I sent him a diaphragm out of a Mac 99 two man saw
over a year ago, He will not answer phone calls or emails. I did a lot of biz with him till he screwed
me on this diaphragm.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Ive heard alot of stories like yours Lee. Thats why i did not recomend him for the diaphram above. Interesting thing is his address on his site is literally 5 min. From my work. Pass it twice a day on the way to and from work. With all the negative stuff i hear about him ive never considered him for any of my chainsaw needs. Even as close as i am to him.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've cut a lot of gaskets for tiny little old carbs but never attempted to do a diaphragm .However Lewis Brander, Branden whoever made a few using some type of Buna N sheeting or impregnated cloth .I've bought the sheeting, never the cloth/paper .As far as Lewis I'm not certain if he's still with us or not .His health wasn't real good .
He did make mention that he had used brake fluid to bring back a certain amount of elasticity to old stiff diaphragms on some of his oldies .I've never tried it .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Along the same lines but in reference to the Walbro/MAC aka "flat back" I have only one and hope to never see another .I think I used Kroil to soften the diaphragm not brake fluid .It was an absolute beech to tune but I got it .About that time half a dozen NOS diaphragms came up on flea bay and I tossed a low ball to start it off .Marshal Trover,Mike Acres buddy got them .After I found out who I was bidding against him I dropped out because he has a lot more that might need them than me .He offered me one but I declined .I absolutely dispise that carb with a passion .It's on either a black cover 250 or 250 super .not exactly sure what it is .

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Steve might be worth a stop just to check on the diaphragm for @Lee H. Probably a lost cause at this point, but stranger things have happened.
Mike

I have often though about that but have never met the guy. Dont know how stable of a person he is if a stranger shows up at his door step demanding answers for something that i have no dealing with. Legally i would just be harassing him at this point since i have not had any business with him. And he will not ever get any from me.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Joe is a very busy man and does the decals and such on the side. He's also pretty good at what he does, and as such his services can be in fairly high demand at any given time. He did my SP81 decal from the ground up since he hadn't done one before and didn't already have a design on hand. Though not very complicated as some of these designs go, it took some time along with some gentle prodding during the process, but it got done. I offered to send the original air filter cover with the old decal to assist with his design work and he insisted on photos, measurements and a template instead. Told me flat out and straight up front that if I sent it to him there was a very high probability I'd never see it again due to the general lack of organization and typical state of chaos under which he tends to find himself when he has multiple simultaneous projects going on.

Seemed like a pretty easy going guy to me and I found him easy to deal with. Was apologetic about the minor delays and he didn't make any excuses. But I wasn't an ass with an attitude about it, either. It was a freakin' decal. He was essentially doing me a favor for not much in return. Maybe I was just one of the lucky ones, but I'd buy from him again without hesitation and highly endorse the quality of his work.

What I would NEVER do again is order anything from him through Chainsawr (or anything else from them for that matter) even if it says "Ready to ship". My second order from Sugar Creek was a simple Dolmar bar stencil through Chainsawr. Talk about delays and complete bullsh!t, Chainsawr was as bad as it gets and ended up punting to Joe in the end anyway telling me to contact him directly for a resolution..., which I did and he immediately responded and corrected the error.

Last edited:

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Joe is a very busy man and does the decals and such on the side. He's also pretty good at what he does, and as such his services can be in fairly high demand at any given time. He did my SP81 decal from the ground up since he hadn't done one before and didn't already have a design on hand. Though not very complicated as some of these designs go, it took some time along with some gentle prodding during the process, but it got done. I offered to send the original air filter cover with the old decal to assist with his design work and he insisted on photos, measurements and a template instead. Told me flat out and straight up front that if I sent it to him there was a very high probability I'd never see it again due to the general lack of organization and typical state of chaos under which he tends to find himself when he has multiple simultaneous projects going on.

Seemed like a pretty easy going guy to me and I found him easy to deal with. Was apologetic about the minor delays and he didn't make any excuses. But I wasn't an ass with an attitude about it, either. It was a freakin' decal. He was essentially doing me a favor for not much in return. Maybe I was just one of the lucky ones, but I'd buy from him again without hesitation and highly endorse the quality of his work.

What I would NEVER do again is order anything from him through Chainsawr (or anything else from them for that matter) even if it says "Ready to ship". My second order from Sugar Creek was a simple Dolmar bar stencil through Chainsawr. Talk about delays and complete bullsh!t, Chainsawr was as bad as it gets and ended up punting to Joe in the end anyway telling me to contact him directly for a resolution..., which I did and he immediately responded and corrected the error.

I unfortunately have no experience with Joe but i have heard more less than desireable experiences than good. It seems you have a 5 star or zero star experience from what i have heard. I get being very busy. I work full time and do repair at home. About 70hrs a week total. I always answer the phone. If i dont and miss a call i literally call back in minutes. Not hours, days, months. Communication is key today. Lack of it is no excuse in todays day and age. Im not dogging his work or craftsmanship by any means. Just agree that the lack of communication is a poor business practice.

Oh, and chainsawr does suck. They have screwed me before. They are dead to me.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like I said, maybe I was one of he lucky ones.

Something I think any of us who have been around long enough eventually discover about folks in niche type businesses, is that they can occasionally become a bit too selective in how they view the importance of certain customers over others..., not unlike the clique tendencies among different groups of folks in forums like these. But I completely agree that open and honest communication is the key to any type of business, particularly niche type businesses that rely heavily on word of mouth to establish and maintain positive reputations. Doesn't take many bad reviews these days to make folks look elsewhere when they're shopping around for goods or services, even when you think your particular business or product is the only game in town.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like I said, maybe I was one of he lucky ones.

Something I think any of us who have been around long enough eventually discover about folks in niche type businesses, is that they can occasionally become a bit too selective in how they view the importance of certain customers over others..., not unlike the clique tendencies among different groups of folks in forums like these. But I completely agree that open and honest communication is the key to any type of business, particularly niche type businesses that rely heavily on word of mouth to establish and maintain positive reputations. Doesn't take many bad reviews these days to make folks look elsewhere when they're shopping around for goods or services, even when you think your business or product is the only game in town.

Agreed.