heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 44 is indeed a 44 with a 44-A air filter cover. The 44 and 55 were the same engine, 44 direct drive and 55 gear drive. The give away is the spark plug in the center of the head, the 44-A and 44 Super A have the spark plug off center to the flywheel side.

The 44/55 have a stamped steel air filter cover, the A and Super A have the cast air filter cover. All of the Super's (44 and 55) I have seen have the hockey mask cover on the flywheel side but the flywheel cover can be swapped.

McCulloch D-44 Family 3.JPG

McCulloch D-44 Super A.JPG

Mark

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They'll run eventually .Iron cylinder McCullochs were made to run almost forever .If they are not froze up I won't worry about them and even if they were I still would not be concerned .
I've often thought that those yellow saws are serious survivors. There will likely be a yellow saw or two floating in the vacuum of space lo g after the sun has gone supernova and the planet is gone, yup still yellow metal saws floatin.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
2:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a few mins to mess with the macs tonight. The 44 has no spark so it will wait for a bit. Got to finish up a couple.other saws first.
The 1-21 (i think it is) has spark so figured giver a whirl. Put some gas in it. Few sqirts down carb and it fired up. Wont hold an idle but will rev up. It needs a carb clean and a kit. Tried adjusting low needle but never made any difference. Will put on shelf for now. I ordered a few kits a couple weeks ago so they will be in in a month or so on ebay lol.
067b750285fa68564c1ff05c3e335c5f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Hey anybody know if these two saws share the same coil points and condensor. I have a spare 1-21 carcase kickin around to rob parts off.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If memory serves if I'm not mistaken the D44 has the points exterior to the flywheel activated by a push rod .According to the "book" the points are set using the cellophane from a pack of cigarettes for the gap ..I've got the user manual some place ,exactly where is the question at the moment .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd about bet the coil is okay .Fact I've never seen a bad coil on a Mac with points but I suppose it's possible .I would say the points need cleaned or the condenser is shot .If so because it's extremely low voltage about any condenser should work .I have the condenser from a Ferguson tractor on an Issacson magneto on the pony motor of a 1943 Caterpillar D4 and it works fine

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd about bet the coil is okay .Fact I've never seen a bad coil on a Mac with points but I suppose it's possible .I would say the points need cleaned or the condenser is shot .If so because it's extremely low voltage about any condenser should work .I have the condenser from a Ferguson tractor on an Issacson magneto on the pony motor of a 1943 Caterpillar D4 and it works fine
I figure the cool is good as well. It does have a little broken peace by the plug wire but probly still fine. Was just curious if the parts are the same.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So i am still kinda confused about this mac d44 that had no spark so i thought. Here what i found when i played with it tonight.
Pulled new plug out of saw that ran. Put in plug boot then plug on motor to check spark and nothing. Got out cheap inline spark tester and nothing. Then for somereason i tried in line tester in plug boot but put the end that goesnonnplug just restin on sidemof motor and it lit up like crazy. Confused....
Went through a few new unknown plugs i had layin around and put in plug boot and one of the three new plugs sparked. Sweet so i put it in and she fired up after a few squirts down carb. Once it was warm i grabbed the original plug i tried retested for spark and nothing. Now this is what gets me. I put it in anyhow and it fired rite up again. Any idea whats goin on with that?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I need some education on the Mac 797 drum, bearing, rim and spurs in 404 and 3/8" if possible.
New if available, nos or used and pricing.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This should get you started...

Attachments

• Mc Chain Bars Accessories Catalog.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 8

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a pair of Oregon drums that should fit .On the left is kit #10608 that has a 7 tooth rim and uses a bushing in the drum .Right is 10624 that uses a bearing .I didn't think it makes much difference which you use,bearing or bushing .Probably the best bet is surf E-Bay .They both use standard size Oregon rims

Attachments

• DSCN0581[1].JPG
    DSCN0581[1].JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 9

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This should get you started...
Somewhat. Knew all about oe mac chain of that era.
Only going to be using 3/8 or 404 on large mounts that interchange with some gear drives.
No mention of Oregon or other brands of drum or spurs available. I will not be using Mac oe chain or half inch.
3/8" or 404 only

I looked on ebay and found a good bit of parts but saw no rims only sales. Assuming they interchange with my large spline 660 type.
I don't have a saw on hand to measures things.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here's a pair of Oregon drums that should fit .On the left is kit #10608 that has a 7 tooth rim and uses a bushing in the drum .Right is 10624 that uses a bearing .I didn't think it makes much difference which you use,bearing or bushing .Probably the best bet is surf E-Bay .They both use standard size Oregon rims
You beat me to the poast.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Has all the spurs and rims and drums and what they fit if you look far enough through it. Pretty easy to get Oregon cross references from what's there, but OE is still out there too.
I did.
.... read it cover to cover last year.
Parts are out there. Some peoples pricing is whacked.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You beat me to the poast.
It was coincidental .When the OP posted it I knew I had at least one drum in my garage .Actually three new ones ,had 4 at one time plus some new ones for the SP-81,850 etc .Oddly I bought them from a distant relative I have never met from Maryland on Flea bay .Small world