The Official Kilt Crankshaft Thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Concrete is made of Portland cement .One component of it is alumina from the blue clay used in the slurry .Alumina and aluminum are a couple of atomic numbers apart .What happens is you get a reaction and the concrete tries to eat the saw which it will over time .Another example is aluminum conduit buried to concrete,you cannot do it because it will disappear .Aluminum is what is called a sacrificing metal .It contact with cast iron,steel or copper it will cause electrolysis often called galvanic reaction . You can have something like a chainsaw left long enough on the concrete in a perfectly dry condition and eventually it will fall apart . Another example is an aluminum screen door contacting concrete,even a $250 one .It's painted on the outside but it will dissolve from the inside where it's not painted .I've replaced a few ,high dollar ones .The easiest thing to do to protect a saw is put it on a piece of lumber or a rubber ,plastic never in contact with a concrete floor for any length of time .Just my opinion

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On this subject of galvanic action if you look at a fairly modern Stihl .That thing is not paint on and inside the crankcase.It's e-coat which is just about like glass .Older saws such as the circa 1968 Homelite in my avatar didn't use that method probably because it didn't exist .The bare metal on the inside of the oil tank cover had contacted the "white death " at some time .I've seen the same situation on several older saws .
I had speculated it could have been stored on concrete but how in the world would I ever know from a saw used 2000 miles away on the west coast .
I think something stored properly and used periodically most likely would be okay .It's just something most would not encounter unless on older stuff which obviously I have plenty of .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've taken them apart with the most f--d up clips and wondered how they ever stayed in place .Recently on one of the Partner p-100's some wing nut jambed a 14 mm clip in a 13 mm piston pin hole .I personally like either Stihl or Wiseco clips .You might pay a little more but they don't jump out .

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How far should the connecting rod tilt to the left or right?
I got one on a 395 i posted a little while back has me scratching my head. Its super clean but it feels like it has just the tiniest amount of play up and down. The connecting rod will rock ever so slightly to the left or right, im wondering if this is the play i am feeling.

piston connected to it with the bearing will rock slightly as well left to right. Im such a noob at this its almost impossible to describe and have someone on the internet give you a confirmed answer.
I just dont want to put it all back together with fresh bearings seals and gaskets and have it kaboom in a few months. I also dont want to spend 250usd on one for no damn good reason.

gonna have to make a choice here shortly whether i like it or not.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not a mechanic but I think a little left to right play is normal, I wouldn't use a crank if it had up and down play.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That was good help, looks similar to mine. Like i mentioned i think im getting play cause im rocking it and not pulling perfectly straight up and down. In the end this seems normal.

well im gonna keep it and see what happens. Thanks!!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used old OEM clips in a Golf piston and they came out. It's a shame because that was a really good running saw.

View attachment 258239

Always measure the diameter of the wire the clips are made from. They must be the same as the ones you are replacing. Also, you have to be super careful not to bend the clip as you are installing it.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used old OEM clips in a Golf piston and they came out. It's a shame because that was a really good running saw.

View attachment 258239
Always measure the diameter of the wire the clips are made from. They must be the same as the ones you are replacing. Also, you have to be super careful not to bend the clip as you are installing it.

The problem with those Golf pistons is that they're such a crap shoot. I've seen gouged out wrist pin clip grooves, loose or tight wrist pin bosses, wrist pin bores that didn't line up with each other - all kinds of weirdness.

I've got several new ones that are in the scrap bin. They might make good gear-shift knobs.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen pin clip grooves so deep that the pin can slide right out past the clip and that only the ear is what is holding it in. A clip groove is made so that the chamfer on the pin goes over top of the clip and forces it down in the groove and makes it so the pin can't come out. A square cut pin won't work either.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On some of the Meteor pistons it is often very difficult to install the clips provided .They are much thicker than say Stihl clips .It might not be a good practice but I usually leave the one clip in that is already seated when you get the new piston and replace the other one with a Stihl clip .I've also had the clip blow out and go into obit some place in my garage never to be found again so the Stihl clip was my only choice . BTW Stihls are so far the only pistons I've had to replace .I blame it on being stingy with the oil but that could be debated .

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The problem with those Golf pistons is that they're such a crap shoot. I've seen gouged out wrist pin clip grooves, loose or tight wrist pin bosses, wrist pin bores that didn't line up with each other - all kinds of weirdness.

I've got several new ones that are in the scrap bin. They might make good gear-shift knobs.
All truth there.
Buy three from three people if you expect a good one. I have one in a 362 work saw still, from when they first came out. Still in there. One piston failed measurements one passed. Replaced the clips with OEM and made sure they fit properly.

Clips coming out probably causes a lot of crank damage.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen clips do some strange things .One somehow ended up on top of a piston on a Ferguson TO-20 with a big bore bore kit .How that happened I cannot explain .Of course the wrist pin chewed up the cylinder .Used piston ,used cylinder liner ,rebushed the rods .Probably good for another 65-70 years .You can wound old iron but it's are pretty hard to kill them .

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mag rot can be cleaned by blasting and coating with powder

Ive cleaned up a bunch of saws that had it

Some cant be used it was too bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk