Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was helping Chase wean calves, sort off some replacement heifers & sort off some cull cows. Apparently last week, pound cows were bringing $1.70 # at local sale barn.
It is nuts. I remember selling some rough cull cows in about 2010-2011 for $125 a head. They were cutter/canner/boners but I was pissed off. when I saw the check. I ended up loading the rest and taking them to a local slaughter house. I had them ground and split it among family and my father in law sold the rest at his machine shop for $1.50/lb.

Out in SW Iowa do you have any on-farm mobile butchers?

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is nuts. I remember selling some rough cull cows in about 2010-2011 for $125 a head. They were cutter/canner/boners but I was pissed off. when I saw the check. I ended up loading the rest and taking them to a local slaughter house. I had them ground and split it among family and my father in law sold the rest at his machine shop for $1.50/lb.

Out in SW Iowa do you have any on-farm mobile butchers?

There are a couple that will come to the farm, shoot & gut them, then haul them back to the shop to cut up.

I believe insurance/liability has done away with most of them.

A neighbor used to have his own butcher shed, saws, grinder & hanging cooler.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The power of a rope is amazing.........until they snap. I have lived my entire life along the Mississippi and of course ropes are essential on barges. I am 1.5 miles up-river from Lock and Dam 16. I worked there for the USCEC for 4 years many, many years ago. The ropes have super strength but when they break the result can be deadly of course the same can be said for chain or cable. Ropes are essential in locking barges through the chamber. The deckhands may look like rough characters but they know there crap. They have to know how tight to make the wrap so they can release tension as they are slowing the tow. If they bind the wrap it is game over. BAM the rope will snap. When it does it does not end well. I remember one deckhand bound a rope and when it snapped it broke his leg. They had him in the office waiting on an ambulance. I was talking with him and he was in panic mode....maybe shock. He kept saying he was going to lose his job. I said why it was a simple accident. He said hell i cannot piss clean.

I had one funny experience with breaking a line where no one was hurt. As the lower man on the totem pole part of my job was to walk to the end of the wall and toss the "headline" before the 1200ft tow left the lock. It was simple, pick the huge line up off the pin and throw it over the wall on top the head of the barge. Then radio the captain and say "all gone on the head cap" and he would acknowledge and motor ahead Now he was not supposed to motor ahead until he heard that on the radio. Well one time I forgot to toss the headline and the cap motored ahead anyway. I heard the rope explode. I just reached for the mic and said "sorry about that cap" he radioed back "yep". Fun times. No one gets hurt if that happens because there is no one on the head at that point.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
12:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The power of a rope is amazing.........until they snap. I have lived my entire life along the Mississippi and of course ropes are essential on barges. I am 1.5 miles up-river from Lock and Dam 16. I worked there for the USCEC for 4 years many, many years ago. The ropes have super strength but when they break the result can be deadly of course the same can be said for chain or cable. Ropes are essential in locking barges through the chamber. The deckhands may look like rough characters but they know there crap. They have to know how tight to make the wrap so they can release tension as they are slowing the tow. If they bind the wrap it is game over. BAM the rope will snap. When it does it does not end well. I remember one deckhand bound a rope and when it snapped it broke his leg. They had him in the office waiting on an ambulance. I was talking with him and he was in panic mode....maybe shock. He kept saying he was going to lose his job. I said why it was a simple accident. He said hell i cannot piss clean.

I had one funny experience with breaking a line where no one was hurt. As the lower man on the totem pole part of my job was to walk to the end of the wall and toss the "headline" before the 1200ft tow left the lock. It was simple, pick the huge line up off the pin and throw it over the wall on top the head of the barge. Then radio the captain and say "all gone on the head cap" and he would acknowledge and motor ahead Now he was not supposed to motor ahead until he heard that on the radio. Well one time I forgot to toss the headline and the cap motored ahead anyway. I heard the rope explode. I just reached for the mic and said "sorry about that cap" he radioed back "yep". Fun times. No one gets hurt if that happens because there is no one on the head at that point.
Only broke one big one. Scary. The blue one is not supposed to recoil. I also don’t like it as much. Not as stretchy

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had another look at the photo and they do look short but they are 6 foot in betweeners Next week will be doing 7ft strainers and corner posts
What are you fencing in? We use 9-10 foot corners here and 7-8 foot line posts or 6.5-7ft steel T posts

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
5:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are you fencing in? We use 9-10 foot corners here and 7-8 foot line posts or 6.5-7ft steel T posts
We usually use 7 foot corners 5ft 6” in betweeners and 7ft strainers and turners and 7ft box posts
All in Douglas fir treated.

That will be stock fencing 1 roll of wire two strands of Barb wire

And then there’s the deer fencing 6ft netting with 9ft in betweeners and 10 foot corners

I will do some photos later

Last edited:

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Their cattle are more well behaved than ours.
Probably are. I have had some that no fence would hold. I had a cow that would tear through any fence and scale gates. I had her scheduled to go to the local locker the day after Christmas to be ground into burger. The morning of Christmas Eve we loaded her and took here to Dad's were she could stay on the lot and be easier to load on the 26th. Well she got out a couple times and we put her back in. Well Christmas Eve we are eating supper and the beech was out again. I called Greg and said "Hey Greg I know it is Christmas Eve but can I bring this ole gal in and put here in a pen for the 26th" He said no problem just put a log chain on the pen. They have a couple interior pens that have unescapable fencing because they process Buffalo/Bison there also.

She was tasty