huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
9:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess we've already got a thread. Don't really need a whole subforum.

I've got a Yamadog WR426, aka "the meat grinder" lol. It's got the usual mods so it runs like a yz. I don't ride much anymore. I bring it out at family gatherings and everybody's scared. The boys ride a cr125 and yz250

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess all I have is a couple farm use four wheel now... Had a 91 250x honda 4 trax it was racing set up with engine work.... Really miss that one it was fun. Anyone know much about them?

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I guess all I have is a couple farm use four wheel now... Had a 91 250x honda 4 trax it was racing set up with engine work.... Really miss that one it was fun. Anyone know much about them?

Honda Fourtrax 250x: Introduced in 1987, it was a 246? cc, kick-start only 4-stroke with a 5 speed manual transmission and reverse. It was two wheel drive and considered a "sport" model at that time. It continued largely unchanged other than color/graphics scheme till it's final year of production in 1992. In 1993 the TRX300EX was introduced and replaced the 250x. The 300ex has larger displacement of roughly 280cc (not really close to 300 I know) and has electric start. It shares ALOT of parts, mainly chassis components with the old 250x. Keep that in mind if you ever decide to get an old 250x that needs some TLC.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd love another 250x..... Ol man sold it cheap as hell I was young like 14 ish But yeah kickstart only bad little bike
Lol she hurt me a few times

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My cousin had at the same time a 200 sx I believe it was god those old Hondas were indestructible He had a honda three wheel before it but I can't for the life of me remember what number it was. Nagging me enough to call him..

Milkman31

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I wish there was a good atv mechanic around me. I've had my daughters 250ex at two different guys and still a no go.

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I actually owned a '91 250X and '95 300EX. They were fun bikes and reliable as a claw hammer.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My birthday is in June, so I've decided to get the old Hodaka running as at present to myself. I got it for my birthday when I turned 9 or 10.

Anyone spent some time on a Hodaka?

stihl saws

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A little before my time, but from what I've read they kind of helped jump start the US off road bike market. They had some cool names too. Combat Wombat, I remember.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They were before my time also, but not before my dads. I guess that's why he got me one. I know my dad had bought a new Ace100 in 70 or 71 and rode it from Pittsburgh to key west Florida. He always tells the story that he left with 150 bucks and came back with change in his pocket.

Milkman31

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
What's wrong with the EX

What's the problem with your EX?
My daughter was ridding it, she went to put it in reverse to back up and it lost all power. Full throttle and it will not pull its self. To get it started you have to remove the breather and hand choke it. while hand choking it will blow your hand from the carb you have to really push to keep your hand in place to get it to start. So far it has had a set of rings and gaskets, and new carb.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds to me like it has either sheared the flywheel key or the cam is not timed correctly. Since the top end has been pulled for the rings it's less likely that the cam would be out of time if the guy that did the work knows how to time the engine. I would check the flywheel key first.

stihl saws

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The 250EX is very similar to the 250 Recon. You might try searching around the Recon forums for similar problems. Sounds like it could be a cam timing problem or electrical. Not sure if the EX uses a pressed on cam gear, but it is possible for those to spin sometimes throwing valve timing off.
The fact it happened putting it in reverse is interesting too. If the reverse is rev limited the switch could be sticking or losing contact, fooling the ignition into cutting out. Probably the first thing I'd check.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good point Stihl Saws, but I don't believe the 250ex has a rev limiter in reverse gear. In fact, I don't think I have ridden a reverse equipped Honda that had a conventional transmission with a rev limited reverse. Those seem more common with quads that have a CVT transmission where very high speeds could be achieved in reverse if a rev limiter was not in play. And many of those (in adult sized machines anyway) have a rev limiter override lever that can be used to help get out of a mudhole of other such situations. Ever see a Suzuki King Quad 700 doing 45mph in reverse??? I have! LOL! I have a wack-job cousin who had a King Quad and liked to make a spectacle of himself going fast in reverse with the override engaged!

Anyway, getting off track here... With the Hondas, your speed in reverse is limited by the low gear ratio. Even with the throttle pinned (and I wouldn't recommend it) you probably couldn't get it going much over 8-10mph in reverse.

But having said all of that, I would confirm whether or not the quad in question has a rev limiter in play when shifted into reverse just to cover that base. I predict that it doesn't though.

I have seen the symptom of severe blowback through the carb a few times over the years. In all cases it was a timing issue, cam or flywheel.

stihl saws

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I actually have a Recon and can't tell you if it's limited or not. I haven't been on it in a year, the kids ride it mostly. Lol. I was just throwing it out there. The reverse levers on the Yamaha Warriors would lose their ground to the frame and cause them to cut out on top. Just thinking here.
He's replaced the carb, so it only needs compression, valves in time and working, and a spark at the right time to run. If there's gas in the tank. ;)