Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would like to make it to your GTG. I was a little heavy handed with the nitro on my saws a week before your event last year....lets just say I'm still very busy. LOL

Be here !!!!

Please. The more the merrier.

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a bunch of weak rings at minimum. I changed a few pistons, one is getting another cylinder. I had a 2 piece head on only one of them, I'm trying to fit a new head on more. I have had to do a lot of rework, I'm finding that Echo isn't the first choice for making HP..........they are hard to modify. And that's one saw.

Sorry, no pictures to speak of.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hadn't found Echos hard to modify, but then I haven't tried making a race saw out of one... and I haven't really modified any other brand as much. I wonder if excessive heat messed up the rings? I wouldn't think blow by would, nor an extra rich mix as is required with nitro.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hadn't found Echos hard to modify, but then I haven't tried making a race saw out of one... and I haven't really modified any other brand as much. I wonder if excessive heat messed up the rings? I wouldn't think blow by would, nor an extra rich mix as is required with nitro.
Echos aren't hard to port, just hard to get big gains from them. Small carbs and an exhaust port limited in width by bolt spacing

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just remember how impressed I was to easily get like 40% gains from a 490 without fancy machining work, but I shouldn't be surprised since half the gains was from a muffler mod. But they do have little extra meat around the exhaust port. I think I remember ms 250 and 290 exhausts are huge in comparison

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll assume you were blowing up cs800's?

I'm thinking a chinese 250 might be a good entry level nitro saw considering the complete engine blocks are $30 and separate from the oil tank (not that there's no chance of a rod busting up the plastic). Hopefully I'll have one built to bring, I plan to blow a block or two to find the limit, then dial it back a "safe" amount. They sure have a skinny rod though

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, a few things I need to touch on first... I am a 3rd generation saw racer at only one event. The whole group I run against hasn't really evolved any since it started about 50 years ago. No one from the outside has come much, and as I know I am the only one that's ventured out to another GTG (Livingston, TN 2012 I think). So, as a group we've all reached a plateau in performance. There was very little to influence a learning curve. Also, I have always tried to run what my family sells and that hasn't always worked out. Echos require a lot more work than I may be capable of, or at least what I was capable of just 3 years ago. The 056 and 281 can be made to run with less effort than the 8000.....is what it is.

Now, I had only attended 1 GTG a year, so I developed a "Run or Die" mentality with my equipment. Which isn't too bad considering I had a year to get everything back in order. Going to several GTG's a year I cannot do that, I'll have to run it to last.

This is what happened: I had run e-85 mixed with nitro, I would add nitro until I started loosing adjustability with the carburetor (25-30% by volume) and run that mixture. What I did was I mixed the fuel during the day and raced at night. The air improved going into the night and every saw I had leaned out more(no adjustability and running like they had an air leak).....then I was done. Some how my dad mustered up a win with the 084 in stock appearing.....how he did that I will never know, lol.

EJ was there last year and educated all of us on how much more power we needed to find and also that we needed to do more research on race chains. No one had race chains before last year. But, it was a good time watching someone that was prepared to say the least. I'm glad EJ could come out to see us poor folks, LOL.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, a few things I need to touch on first... I am a 3rd generation saw racer at only one event. The whole group I run against hasn't really evolved any since it started about 50 years ago. No one from the outside has come much, and as I know I am the only one that's ventured out to another GTG (Livingston, TN 2012 I think). So, as a group we've all reached a plateau in performance. There was very little to influence a learning curve. Also, I have always tried to run what my family sells and that hasn't always worked out. Echos require a lot more work than I may be capable of, or at least what I was capable of just 3 years ago. The 056 and 281 can be made to run with less effort than the 8000.....is what it is.

Now, I had only attended 1 GTG a year, so I developed a "Run or Die" mentality with my equipment. Which isn't too bad considering I had a year to get everything back in order. Going to several GTG's a year I cannot do that, I'll have to run it to last.

This is what happened: I had run e-85 mixed with nitro, I would add nitro until I started loosing adjustability with the carburetor (25-30% by volume) and run that mixture. What I did was I mixed the fuel during the day and raced at night. The air improved going into the night and every saw I had leaned out more(no adjustability and running like they had an air leak).....then I was done. Some how my dad mustered up a win with the 084 in stock appearing.....how he did that I will never know, lol.

EJ was there last year and educated all of us on how much more power we needed to find and also that we needed to do more research on race chains. No one had race chains before last year. But, it was a good time watching someone that was prepared to say the least. I'm glad EJ could come out to see us poor folks, LOL.

It's all about perspective. Not many run nitro saws at the TN GTG......but the saws that run are pretty fast regardless. I'm not a skilled operator, nor am I much good at making a fast chain. I've never put much thought into a race saw at all to be honest. I just build a mild mannered working saw with repeatability and reliability as my main goals. In other words......I lose when I race. LOL

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Mastermind your saws would be very competitive in Lumberton, NC. Don't sell yourself short. Most guys race that night and are in the woods the next day with the same saw at that place.

Strangely......people send me messages once in awhile telling me about winning some event or placing well at a GTG with one of my saws. But......I'm a terrible operator, so in my hands, there's like a snowballs chance in hell. LOL