Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
3:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The world famous Mickey Mouse intake port that Ol Pot Metal Pony showed off on his YouTube channel traveled all the way to Canada. A customer sent me a 661 that he bought in for port work. The only problem is that its already been "ported".

20231218_154132.jpg

The intake floor has been lowered a fair amount, and widened. As a matter of fact, its wider than the piston skirt.

20231218_154146.jpg

They didn't raise the exhaust port, but they widened it to the point that they got into a ring end pin. Their solution to that was to throw away the second ring....

We have a new top end, muffler, heat shield, and gasket on the way.

Please don't copy the garbage you see on YouTube.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
4:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The world famous Mickey Mouse intake port that Ol Pot Metal Pony showed off on his YouTube channel traveled all the way to Canada. A customer sent me a 661 that he bought in for port work. The only problem is that its already been "ported".

View attachment 401067

The intake floor has been lowered a fair amount, and widened. As a matter of fact, its wider than the piston skirt.

View attachment 401069

They didn't raise the exhaust port, but they widened it to the point that they got into a ring end pin. Their solution to that was to throw away the second ring....

Sad state of affairs when you can’t tell your saw is ported already. @Coop The Cutter sent me one awhile back that had already been ported. Fortunately I was able to take several measurements and determine that they hadn’t removed much from the squish band and I could still do things that I wanted. I believe I gained 24% on what someone had already paid to have ported

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sad state of affairs when you can’t tell your saw is ported already. @Coop The Cutter sent me one awhile back that had already been ported. Fortunately I was able to take several measurements and determine that they hadn’t removed much from the squish band and I could still do things that I wanted. I believe I gained 24% on what someone had already paid to have ported
I could probably use a full skirt piston and save this jug.....but I don't know if that would cause the wrist pin bearing to overheat or not.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
4:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could probably use a full skirt piston and save this jug.....but I don't know if that would cause the wrist pin bearing to overheat or not.
Dave’s pistons might work, if he still has any. At one point in time he was getting all of his pistons for Stihls swapped over to 1.2 MM caber rings so they didn’t need to be replated

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Unless you care to attach your name to his with this saw forever and ever, you might want to consider sticking with plan A and make it a saw strictly from you and you alone.
America needs more beer cans too.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless you care to attach your name to his with this saw forever and ever, you might want to consider sticking with plan A and make it a saw strictly from you and you alone.
America needs more beer cans too.
Oh....I have no intention of doing anything but replacing it with new oem parts.

Technically.....I could find a way to salvage it, but its not something I'll actually do.

The port work, though done all kinds of wrong, looks pretty good.